Tougen Anki

Group Leader
Generic shounen, I've already read one with the near exact same plot.
AND it has that same exact feeling of the "bad but actually good" (here, the "onis") guys being absolutely fucking worthless and leaves me wondering how did they not lose this war eons ago when they have this little fighting power...
Why does everything have to be so black and so white.
Manga starts right away with "oh look these momotarou are the bad guys (wow! they're so mean! they kill people and reanimated corpes! boo!)! and these onis are the good, poor, persecuted guys (they're all sad and this random dude got his father killed at the FIRST CHAPTER before ANY emotional attachment could be made...)!
But there is literally NO middle ground...
This just feels so ridiculous.
And the super powers they have are just ludicrously badly explained. it's like every chapter some new dude comes with some crazy new power, or an already existing dude suddenly discovers that he has this ridicuously op power.
Anyway. this manga is "bad" if not "very bad".

The art is good, everything else not so much.
The story starts with a standard shounen opening which is, acceptable considering what it's meant to be. However compared to other modern shounen manga which have matured quite a bit, this manga felt like it is stuck in the past and hollow. Personally i don't think too much of a shounen manga opening, however what follows just doesn't keep you engaged. Even if, the story is generic, it may still be a good read if it's not for the atrocious pacing. An arcs doesn't feel like an arc, does the concept of arcs even exist? Before you continue the story, you need to properly introduces every character first, if you can't, then the least you can do is not put out too many characters. A 2 chapter for character introduction while muddled with fight scenes at the same time is just not enough. You first let the readers emphatize with the characters, then you delve deeper. You don't drill as deep as the mariana trench when i still don't care about them. They show up in one page and you expect me to know them? Let's compare it with other shounen manga which cast a lot of different character, My Hero Academia. Before we were explained the backstory of a character, for example, Todoriki, we were given a glimpse of how he were normally, how he is a talented person, how he wanted to defeat Midoriya, how he hated his father. After all of that, then we were given the backstory of his character and in the end, we were able to solve his problems and that spans over more than a hundred chapters. This manga does it all in 2
a fearful guy wants to run away, flashback, become cool and defeat the enemy

Story also goes too fast
in span of more or less 35 chapters, it goes from i wanna kill my father killer, go to school, naruto exam, then war without any rest in between to know more about the characters except their name
. The decision that the characters made is also questionable and made you question a lot of stuff.
Does oni corps not have any other elites except one? What is the point of going to school if you aren't going to stay at school and learn your powers? The emergency act happen right after the test which coincides after mc learn to use his power, would he still go if he didn't know? The teacher acted cool like he never passed any student, but do you really have that leeway when you guys are being slaughtered? Shouldn't everyone learn to control their power and fight?Is there no other combatants other than students, why should they fight, it's like asking a recruit who held gun at his first day to go to war? Is it that easy to enter the oni corps hideout? Does the oni corps only consist of fodders? Why didn't they go berserk near death? Does the oni corps only have one class of student? and many more
Makes you wonder why they didn't die sooner like the previous commenter had stated.

Also, the mc is the chosen one. A genre which is no longer that popular because it's not a chosen one. ( Personally, i think it's lazy and boring. Unless it's done very properly, it's just simply deus ex machina powers.)

4/10

Dex-chan lover
People here saying that the momotarou are right is fucked. Genocide is for sure not the answer. Maybe keeping them separated from normal humans, but God damn y’all can’t just be like “Murder is for sure the answer”

To be fair the story does go way too fast and the characters lack little to no depth but its still enjoyable

everyone complainin about it being too shonen and shit are right, but at the same time I'm just here to watch people get folded so hard they get their ass beat into another fuckin dimension, and for that this manga is alright

Am i the only one tht have been wondering whts Shiki’s hair colour is 😂😂😂 so far i love this series, the flaw is its just too fast✋🏻😌 tht my brain went BRRRRRRR

The pacing took a nose dive as soon as the enemies appeared at their base.

Dex-chan lover
Is the author the same as the one who draws the chicken apocalypse manga (https://mangadex.org/title/31087/bougyaku-no-kokekko) back then but only with a different pen-name? The similarity in the art style and character design is uncanny...

This is like the definition of a dumb fun 7. Also, the pacing is really bad lol, the chapters are so goddamn short.

come on guys he is trying to make a shounen manga, maybe this one is a lil bit a failure but there's room for progress in the future

Double-page supporter
Rating feels a bit off, it's readable but nothing really stands out about it.

Art is kind of passable, story premise is good but dragged down by tropes and poor pacing. As for characters, there aren't really any interesting ones, including MC which is just your basic "good guy musclebrains" that wants to get revenge and "right what's wrong".

I feel like a lot of new mangaka should start in bi weekly/monthly magazines when they're first starting out. It definitely feels like the author is rushing and trying to fit in a lot of generic tropes and stuff and make it interesting each week while hitting a deadline tbh

Users who are viewing this thread