Tricks Dedicated to Witches

witch hunts was between 1450-1750 horse hair and silk were used as fishing line in 1596 (this info was mentioned in a book that was made at that time so horse hair fishing and other tiny string rope were publicly available before then), I looked this up thinking lines weren't invented in those times, then I looked up playing cards and the earliest record of those in Europe was " a ban on card games in the city of Berne in 1367", so I was surprised that this could be a real event during the witch trial years

"The earliest known book to explain magic secrets, The Discoverie of Witchcraft, was published in 1584. It was created by Reginald Scot to stop people from being killed for witchcraft. During the 17th century, many books were published that described magic tricks." just found this 2min after posting top part

(I originally posted this in chapter 2)

I get why it's not rated so high, but I think a 7.8 is about where it should be. It has a somewhat interesting setting and plot, though muddied by the genericness of, 'Oh dear Hero, S.O.S.!'

Dex-chan lover
The art _really_ reminds me of Real Account. I wonder why?

Fed-Kun's army
Quite good so far, and the long chapters means progression won't take forever (hopefully). I hope it continues like this.

Magic tricks, a MC who is a sh*thead while also being heir to Oedipus, and an audience of medieval gentry. Quite interesting!

Dex-chan lover
Fun fact, the church never supported witch hunts, in fact, the church even claimed that it was bad to kill the so called witches and denied the existence of witchcraft... more of these cases happened from superstitious villagers and people calling others witches for some reason other than actually thinking they were witches...

@Starbright It's time travel rather than Isekai... though, even as an Isekai, it'd be a more classic Isekai rather than the modern

@deathmailrock

Fun fact, the church never supported witch hunts, in fact, the church even claimed that it was bad to kill the so called witches and denied the existence of witchcraft... more of these cases happened from superstitious villagers and people calling others witches for some reason other than actually thinking they were witches...

Church says they had nothing to do with the bad thing. Yeah, right.

Dex-chan lover
@4V29LN0n there are actually a number of misconceptions about the church belive it or not like the thing where they belive the earth is flat only a small section of the church belive in it like those guys in egypt the rest already agreed that the world is round.

Dex-chan lover
Next you'll tell me the Church wasn't involved at all with the Crusades or the Coverups of Child Abuse. /s

Dex-chan lover
@4V29LN0n The church didn't believe in witches... there are tons of things that happened in the past that just got pushed onto the Church.

The vast majority of historians don't believe that the church was the one to start those witch hunts, because they promoted the idea that witches weren't real.

It's like how there was the belief that the Church actually believed in a flat Earth.

It didn't, it was the ignorant mobs that did and the Church just didn't want to piss them off; and they didn't have actual evidence at the time, so they stopped teaching it... cause the uneducated mob that knew nothing about science or their religion were absolutely sure that they knew better.

The Church didn't care enough about some sh*t as much as people think. They just didn't want to piss the people off.

But a lot of places where Christianity was spread, the people mixed it with their pagan superstitions.

Of course, the Church was also guilty of adding things to their religion as well (though they will deny it).

But Witch Hunts and being anti-science are just things that were blamed on the Church rather than actually done by the Church.

P.S. I'm not Catholic, I just work with lots of historians. And I'm not saying that there weren't dirty sh*t done by priests and even the Church due to politics (there is not a single political force that can be considered clean).

Well, it wasn't the Central Church that promoted it, however Protestant Churches did quite heavily pursue witches. Also the infamous Spanish Inquisition, though it focused less on actual 'witches' and more on heretics and secret Jews/Moors. The Spanish, PRotestant, Puritan/etc Inquisitions also had a very strong monetary component, as they tied the funding of inquisitors with the wealth taken from those found guilty. Obviously this is a conflict of interest.

The Roman Catholic Church Inquisition did not promote witch hunting, and during the 14-15th century was very skeptical, but at this time papal infallibility had not yet been set down, and they barely had a handle of the parts based in Rome, much less the orders that were basically AWOL. French and German theologians started pushing the idea of witches, and this then grows in the Germanies right when PRotestantism develops there, with Witch hunts going hand in hand till their heyday in the mid 1600s.

Aggregator gang
Given the context of "religious persecution in the 16th-century Holy Roman Empire", I'm wondering if any Jewish characters are going to be introduced.

Glad that this artist’s style is so recognizable, wouldn’t have discovered this otherwise

Users who are viewing this thread