Tropes you can’t stand in certain genres

Dex-chan lover
What are some tropes that you can’t stand within certain genres? (Such as villainess, isekai, or harem manga.)

I’ll go first. In villainess manga, I hate the amount of effort they put into condemnation events. By which i mean, how like no one thinks it’s weird how much they care about the situation.
You’re telling me other nobles actually care that a commoner is being bullied?
You’re telling me people are actually mad about an attempted assassination? Mofo, you have a poison taster and bodyguards. Assassinations are a part of life. The death of the heroine would have no political effect, the villainess would probably get off scotch free.
You’re telling me the king and queen are willing to let go of the future queen (who is highly competent and wise, and generally liked by most nobles) simply because she bullied a commoner?
You're telling me that the families of the fiancés (of the capture targets) don’t view the commoner as a threat, since she's getting close to their daughters fiancé? That noble families in general aren’t targeting the heroine because she might marry into the family of a business partner and bring their worth down with her filthy commoners blood?
You’re telling me the royal family will take bribes from child slavers, but not from the noble family of the villainess?
You’re telling me that commoners won’t get wind of this and start a revolution because their kingdom is putting all this effort into some petty dispute between nobles instead of even pretending to care about their lack of food?
Most importantly, you’re telling me that the heroine is still alive at this point, despite offending several high ranking nobles (including royalty) with her lack of manners? I could go on and on, like actually. Like I deleted a bunch of stuff.

Anyways, your turn.

Dex-chan lover
Since just saying "Isekai" seems like a cop-out, I'd like to ask the question, "What happened to truck-kun's driver after Ichi or Sakura got turned into road pizza?" Is it just one truck being driven by a grim reaper with a CDL on a tight schedule? Or are there hundreds of traumatized ex-commercial operators out there?

Dex-chan lover
Since just saying "Isekai" seems like a cop-out, I'd like to ask the question, "What happened to truck-kun's driver after Ichi or Sakura got turned into road pizza?" Is it just one truck being driven by a grim reaper with a CDL on a tight schedule? Or are there hundreds of traumatized ex-commercial operators out there?

R.bfd4769e90d7548f63571c214665a08a

why isn't there a isekai Vespa-kun?
😵🛵

Dex-chan lover
The tomboy is somehow considered less of an option in RomComs simply because she's got a personality and like for things that are innately different than MC-Kun's balls.

This is also extremely weird because Japan LOVES Tomboys (in fiction at least). Like, let's not forget that when Persona Q was coming out that the code on the official display package was "chie best girl 4eva” written in leetspeak

Every time you put a Tomboy in a game, movie or something in Japanese media she will always be a huge hit. Yet, somehow, in Romcoms they're always the ones who tend to get the least attention. Dumbest thing ever.

Group Leader
In action comics when the mentor-like figure (a teacher, some powerful entity, whatever) keeps talking in riddles or avoid answering some questions, even when - from the point of view of the readers - the main character is ready to learn the truth.

I remember reading a comic, of which I forgot the name, where at the end of the first chapter the two main characters are basically being kidnapped by a guy and when pressed for answers, this person simply said something along the lines of: "if I explain things to you it would be too easy."
The setting was already established (essentially people with super powers fighting each others) and the primary main character already knew the basics of how things work and the guy just had to explain why he was kidnapping the two kids. Yet, he decided to be an asshole and be secretive for no reason at all.
Granted, as a fan translation it might have been an error even though the probability were low due to the group's reputation, and maybe on chapter two there would've been an actual explanation, but at the time I was reading a bunch of stuff where this forced mystery happened relatively often and when I saw this particular exchange I gave up everything and made sure to ignore the existence of this comic from then on.

Fed-Kun's army
  • big booba when it makes no sense for girl to have big booba
  • two characters have it obvious to them that they like each other but they're inhumanly dense
  • overly loud and kind and humble MC (hell, an MC with no unjustified distaste or hatred is just boring)
  • loser MC gets girlfriend from heaven
  • loser MC suddenly builds up courage to protect FMC he doesn't know/barely knows
  • becoming angrier = becoming stronger

Dex-chan lover
Fantasy societies full of magic and such functioning like normal societies with magic just being the "stand in" for technology. Like a magic orb being a stand in for a light house.

In a world of magic you would not need something like that, you would hire mages who could use magic to help on the ship and keep it safe, guide you back or light your path.

Which would you rather have, a ball that glows on some tower somewhere if you're lucky enough to come back home or some dude who can flip his middle finger, crush the waves, the monsters, put a shield around your ship when you're sleeping, move the ship if it gets stuck AND light a trail back down the right path?

I'm choosing the second option and that mage is going to get hired by me EVERY trip.

Users who are viewing this thread