Tropes you can’t stand in certain genres

Dex-chan lover
I cannot understand In body swap shit, how they don't understand they are in each other bodies after seeing themselves, or how they imminently fall in love after a single damn day.

It just makes me want to not continue reading the story every damn time. Too many times I've seen this!

Battle manga that keep escalating without setting up an actual end to the story, because even if it finishes instead of going to hiatus hell or getting axed the ending rushes in out of nowhere.
also that nonsense where the protag guy is into a girl but if that girl comes onto him he refuses for no reason

Dex-chan lover
This might be a minor concern, but...
How come all those characters who spend their time sipping tea like a pick-up truck guzzles gasoline don't find themselves stranded in the restroom more often?

Diuretic/10 :censored:

Aggregator gang
What are some tropes that you can’t stand within certain genres? (Such as villainess, isekai, or harem manga.)

I’ll go first. In villainess manga, I hate the amount of effort they put into condemnation events. By which i mean, how like no one thinks it’s weird how much they care about the situation.
You’re telling me other nobles actually care that a commoner is being bullied?
You’re telling me people are actually mad about an attempted assassination? Mofo, you have a poison taster and bodyguards. Assassinations are a part of life. The death of the heroine would have no political effect, the villainess would probably get off scotch free.
You’re telling me the king and queen are willing to let go of the future queen (who is highly competent and wise, and generally liked by most nobles) simply because she bullied a commoner?
You're telling me that the families of the fiancés (of the capture targets) don’t view the commoner as a threat, since she's getting close to their daughters fiancé? That noble families in general aren’t targeting the heroine because she might marry into the family of a business partner and bring their worth down with her filthy commoners blood?
You’re telling me the royal family will take bribes from child slavers, but not from the noble family of the villainess?
You’re telling me that commoners won’t get wind of this and start a revolution because their kingdom is putting all this effort into some petty dispute between nobles instead of even pretending to care about their lack of food?
Most importantly, you’re telling me that the heroine is still alive at this point, despite offending several high ranking nobles (including royalty) with her lack of manners? I could go on and on, like actually. Like I deleted a bunch of stuff.

Anyways, your turn.
A lot of wuxia/murim or isekai tropes go without saying, and I’ve ranted myself blue about a number of different plot contrivances (Nano Machine was the most recent to piss me off, I had to drop it). but I guess:

inventing black hair black eye oppression (The most common trait ever? You wanna be special so bad).

various genius power fantasies where they don’t actually write an intelligent character they write dumb enemies and plot armor (they’re not even interesting, you just wanna be special so bad).

iirc Duke Pendragon pissed me off, why the fuck would the ex fiancée plausibly behave like that? it was literally just for some quasi-satisfying rejection scene. and the MC was so obviously some asspull overly “cool” persona. I felt tired, which is a shame cause I didn’t hate the art.

Revenge plot lines. Very few of them feel satisfying. I love scheming and backstabbing, but when I look for them it’s really a mixed bag. Women-oriented stories inevitably end up focusing on a romance with an annoying man and she loses sight of her goal. What happened to harem politics and poisonings and plotting? Hello?

Men-oriented stories are more likely to be politically interesting, but it can get incel-y or acquire harems that don’t make sense cause he’s boring and neither the mc or the love interests are developed enough for me to care. please return to the political plot.

Video game plots are usually boring. What are the stakes? Just log out, idiot

Honestly, a lot of the manhwa I see these days are derivative and boring but the more unique ones with new worldbuilding get like 7 chapters uploaded a year ago. Regression of the Avada Kedavra 8-Circle Heavenly Demon Knight Gamer or some shit like that uploaded every two days but idk Fork & Knife is apparently on fucking hiatus? And I even like regression stories!! Atp the market is full of sht. It’s not even popcorn reads it’s pocket lint

Aggregator gang
Slice-of-life, where getting wet from rain = certain death, and the only cure is to get wet a second time in the controlled environment of a bath tub.

Any genre, but Fantasy is the worst, when they introduce a new character that's so damn ugly (and/or a priest or noble) that you know 100% they're going to be evil, but they still act as if it's supposed to be a surprise.

Isekai for the sake of isekai, where it really should be just plain fantasy, and the MC being reincarnated becomes completely irrelevant after chapter 2.
Every good character having the same standard features gets boring. At least the villains get a wider range of faces. Still, all the bad guys being ugly is boring too

Double-page supporter
Series about a hobby predominantly popular with men, with a cast of high-school girls. I don't even know why an editor would agree to publish that kind of tripe. Looking at GT-giRl (with immense disdain) for example.

Dex-chan lover
Series about a hobby predominantly popular with men, with a cast of high-school girls. I don't even know why an editor would agree to publish that kind of tripe. Looking at GT-giRl (with immense disdain) for example.
You're free to dislike them, but the existence of such a genre is very easy to understand in my opinion.
One thing liked by men (racing or other hobbies) + another thing liked by men (girls) = a manga that will be liked by men. No?

Double-page supporter
Putting aside the fact that most people do not have a fixation on stories about schoolgirls, I think a lot of things are best enjoyed separately. We don't see a lot of chocolate-covered hamburgers, or beach LAN parties. I think the answer's most likely economical: this little girl doing X seems to be a tried otaku niche that made several series successful, and some editors might be trying to bank on it.

Aggregator gang
not sure if its a trope or smth but man do i h8 thinly veiled fetishes that r added outta nowhere, for no reason,,,,,like this does not contribue 2 the plot at all y did u feel the need to add this!!!
like im peacefully reading a cute lil romance thinkin "oh man this is the best i gotta reccomend this to some1 someday" n then i skip to the next ch n its js,,,,,,filled w foot fetish or smth,, n then it js continues on like nothing happened?!!??!kinda gives me whiplash
whenever this happens i drop my phone n stare into the ceiling to rethink my life choices
even worse when its recurrent, its like a jumpscare😭

Users who are viewing this thread