Tsuihou Suru Gawa no Monogatari - Vol. 1 Ch. 9 - Reflection

Dex-chan lover
I just hope this won't get the axe before even reaching any notable story development

Dex-chan lover
Still chapter 9 and already 4,94 in rating. Considering we still have a long way till this ends, and suppose that the story gets worse, we might be able to reach minus rating by then.

Dex-chan lover
Kinda surprised this is getting dumpstered hard in ratings. It's middling sure, I doubt anyone is going to say it's Freiren 2.0 except maybe in the ironic Morbin' time way, but that just puts it on par with most of the other isekai and generic fantasy wish fulfillment stuff out there. Soft 7, high 6 maybe. It's no Gal Cleaning in terms of material covered. Definitely no Maka! Not Baka!! in terms of art. It's (I don't know about well as I'm not finna look up raws) translated in sensible English unlike Thermal Operator. But it's right on down there with those disasterpieces nonetheless. I guess the "other side of the fantasy wish fulfillment OP character manga" trope just hit the rawest of nerves. vOv

Dex-chan lover
Kinda surprised this is getting dumpstered hard in ratings. It's middling sure, I doubt anyone is going to say it's Freiren 2.0 except maybe in the ironic Morbin' time way, but that just puts it on par with most of the other isekai and generic fantasy wish fulfillment stuff out there. Soft 7, high 6 maybe. It's no Gal Cleaning in terms of material covered. Definitely no Maka! Not Baka!! in terms of art. It's (I don't know about well as I'm not finna look up raws) translated in sensible English unlike Thermal Operator. But it's right on down there with those disasterpieces nonetheless. I guess the "other side of the fantasy wish fulfillment OP character manga" trope just hit the rawest of nerves. vOv
Weirdly enough, this is still a wish fullfillment manga, the idea by itself is interesting, the problem is the execution, we have other manga where we see the party that exiled the MC and they are decent ppl, but here every character is just really unlikeable, and for some reason the author decided to make the exiled dude a turbo asshole, just so we can have the usual bad vs good guys setup, normally the exiled MC never attacks the ex party until they attack him later on the story, but here everyone sucks:
  • elf girl is just the usual over the top lesbian, which ironically makes her the most tolerable character
  • Athena says she expulsed him to keep him safe, but her way of expulsing him was so over the top that she should have known that he would try alone and endup getting killed, then she never talks about exiled MC again, only caring about getting stronger, so it makes her ''motive'' feels like total BS.

and the biggest red flag: Daru, the barely disguised NTR villain, which we all feel its the author fetish at this point...coz they keep setting him off to be, he doesnt clarify a HUGE misunderstanding coz reasons, then watches the fight that happens coz of it and uses it to get points with athena, then the classic NTR setup with the proud dragon girl and the author setup for him to be with athena in the future feels dumb too, just small things like him clarifying that hes just 20 something so not an old man, and that he has started to realize how cute athena is, etc.

So its all about the execution, author HAD to make the exiled dude an asshole to make the readers ''accept'' the new MC Daru, but then proceeded to make everyone horrible too, not a great idea.

Dex-chan lover
4.9 rating is not what I expected. I don’t really know why this manga got so low rating, cause personally I don’t think this manga is that bad.

Dex-chan lover
Weirdly enough, this is still a wish fullfillment manga, the idea by itself is interesting, the problem is the execution, we have other manga where we see the party that exiled the MC and they are decent ppl, but here every character is just really unlikeable, and for some reason the author decided to make the exiled dude a turbo asshole, just so we can have the usual bad vs good guys setup, normally the exiled MC never attacks the ex party until they attack him later on the story, but here everyone sucks:
  • elf girl is just the usual over the top lesbian, which ironically makes her the most tolerable character
  • Athena says she expulsed him to keep him safe, but her way of expulsing him was so over the top that she should have known that he would try alone and endup getting killed, then she never talks about exiled MC again, only caring about getting stronger, so it makes her ''motive'' feels like total BS.

and the biggest red flag: Daru, the barely disguised NTR villain, which we all feel its the author fetish at this point...coz they keep setting him off to be, he doesnt clarify a HUGE misunderstanding coz reasons, then watches the fight that happens coz of it and uses it to get points with athena, then the classic NTR setup with the proud dragon girl and the author setup for him to be with athena in the future feels dumb too, just small things like him clarifying that hes just 20 something so not an old man, and that he has started to realize how cute athena is, etc.

So its all about the execution, author HAD to make the exiled dude an asshole to make the readers ''accept'' the new MC Daru, but then proceeded to make everyone horrible too, not a great idea.
Ironically, Est is the only person here with an actual believable motive, which makes him the only relatable character in the story. The author trying to paint him in a bad light just makes his suffering all the more apparent. The man's broken, and these assholes just keep dogpiling on him for absolutely no reason. They're kicking a man at his lowest point, one which they pushed him in. And every time he tries to get back up, they just keep making it worse.

Last edited:
Supporter
just check it after it got update. I saw the potential after reading ch.1 long ago and bookmarked it but sadly, the author kinda exucute it badly.

the reason to banish is stupid to begin with , author didn't even try to show us that party tried to talk with him and show him refused "their kindness" so they have to banish him but I could let it slide since I wanna see how author could go with this premire.

But we got heroine who selfishly / one sidely did it for his sake without even try talking to him even once after banishment and author solely focus on her training arc so it seems like she's just selfish type even we know that author didn't try to paint her as that.

the say gex mage who just exist to be annoying.

the old man who seems cool but author trying so hard to set him up with heroine so he become NTR MC.
author simply show old man gave up at trying to defuse the misunderstanding situation at first attempt and "Is she this cute all along" panel just make it seems like he had ulterior motive to get heroine after noticing her charm. (which I know author didn't meant to do that and just wanna set up them with how flashback show that old man save her but c'mon)
then not showing that old man who knew it's misunderstanding even try to talk it out with est or heroine about it and focus on their training arc instead ,let the situation boiled up to the point of no return and then "save" heroine after "2nd meeting" of est who become dougebag cuz everyone from his old party simply ignore his existance even they live in same town.

Let's say, they could make Est saw "that scene" from window or somewhere that old man didn't notice him and have mental breakdown alone. it's easier to make me accept the "misunderstood" cuz Est would not listen to old man anymore while old man doesn't understand why and can't find the way to build a bridge.

but this ? it's just believed me bro. Why don't you belived me? Oh damn, I can't reason with him anymore, better leave him alone and process to ignore him until they meet again by accident.

by this point, it's more reasonable to make old man had ulterior motive to woo heroine and that's like parody of A Warrior Exiled by the Hero and His Love but worse. even the infamous I Lost My Adventurer's License, but It's Fine Because I Have an Adorable Daughter Now is fun to read and ending is not that bad compared to this hot mess.

you need to ignore all these weird plot/execution to enjoy the read of "banisher PoV" (which I know some people can but most can't)

Author try to make us rooting for banisher side but tbh, most people would root for Est from how badly banisher side written.(and we could see it from rating which surprised me at first cuz I rmb ch.1 has potential to be good but now I know why)

TLDR. It's basically TLOU2 writing which it has potential on paper but author just fucked up every execution possible.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I don't know how this got 39, 10-star votes... there are sick ppl out there...
Guess it's because it's supposed to be different from the usual banished stories. Thus they ignore the poor execution and the contradictions in the stories.
The only reason why Est isn't in the party at this moment is that Daru keeps silent about the misunderstanding. That's it. Otherwise they could talk things out, Est could reenter the party and Daru could still continue his training. But to keep the plot running Est (the victim) has to become evil guy and gets cuckolded more and more. The characters don't act according to their supposed personalities but according to their role.
  • Athena: Although she banished Est because for her love for him (friendship) she doesn't try talking to him or understand his feelings (as his best friend she should have noticed the unnatural change in his behaviour) but gives up on him pretty fast. Instead she concentrates on becoming stronger (according to her role as heroine). Thus she appears pretty selfish and cold.
  • Daru: He's the supposed MC who helps the party grow. Seems like the author intended him to be a kind person who acts like a teacher. The author should have stopped there. But have a look at his actions. He (I'm repeating myself) doesn't really try to clear up the misunderstanding between Est and Athena. Instead he gives his all to integrate a stranger into the party who offers her virginity in the process. You can see that he has the ability to convince stubborn people but he doesn't try with Est. Instead we get a lot of scenes putting him up as the love interest of the female party members (except for the lesbian elf but she could be convinced if Athena is included).
  • Est: He is the banished one and becomes the biggest rival. He was a good guy who has been with the heroine all his life. But when he's betrayed by his party and his love he's turned into the evil guy (for the sake of the story). All we get is a "drunk on power", disregarding that he must be totally broken inside.
Most readers see these contradictions (thus the negative ratings) but some try to fill empty spots and ignore aforementioned facts for the sake of a story which is supposed to be different. They assume the authors intentions and ignore what is actually shown. I don't think that it's the reader's task to fix the author's mistakes. As it is, the manga (and the webnovel) are terrible and leave an extremely bad taste in one's mouth after reading.

Dex-chan lover
Let's say, they could make Est saw "that scene" from window or somewhere that old man didn't notice him and have mental breakdown alone. it's easier to make me accept the "misunderstood" cuz Est would not listen to old man anymore while old man doesn't understand why and can't find the way to build a bridge.
Better leave out love story completely.
Best thing would have been to put banishment before story with just a short flashback scene at the beginning: Athena remembers her childhood friend (best without a face or name; there was absolutely no need for the story to make Est part of it because they behave as if he never existed in the first place) who she banished from the party for his own sake. She convinced him (in a friendly way) and he returned to their hometown. Nevertheless she misses him and sees that shes's lacking without him.
Now you have just to add an elf girl who's not just a hardcore lesbian yandere but has actual character traits and a Daru who behaves like a teacher and not like a harem king and you would have a readable story with likable characters.

Users who are viewing this thread