Tsumi to Batsu no Spica - Ch. 8 - The Last Job (5)

Dex-chan lover
I don't like how this story resolves the mysteries.

Part of the fun of a whodunnit is that the audience gets to participate and try to guess the culprit before the author reveals it. One of the most entertaining things about detective/mystery stories is when you get to figure it out beforehand because the author did a good job at presenting the information.

This is a bad example of that kind of story. The culprit's identity was pretty much an asspull, there was no way for the reader to know all the stuff mentioned in this chapter before the MC revealed it.

And yeah, you could tell me "this isn't that kind of story, it's about a physic MC solving impossible cases so you won't be able to figure it out" but it's certainly written and presented like one. What's even the point of trying to give us hints if the answer is going to be "this rando did it"?

Fed-Kun's army
Damn, pursuing murder over a simple noise complaint is such an ass move, karma caught up quickly

But how exactly do police get these notes of confession? Does she write some note right before killing the next individual and turn it in? Wouldn’t the police notice a fault in the handwriting or smt?

Dex-chan lover

Part of the fun of a whodunnit is that the audience gets to participate and try to guess the culprit before the author reveals it. One of the most entertaining things about detective/mystery stories is when you get to figure it out because the author did a good job at presenting the information.

This is a bad example of that kind of story. The culprit's identity was pretty much an asspull, there was no way for the reader to know all the stuff mentioned in this chapter before the MC revealed it.

And yeah, you could tell me "this isn't that kind of story, it's about a physic MC solving impossible cases so you won't be able to figure it you" but it's certainly written and presented like one. What's even the point of trying to give us hints if the answer is going to be "this rando did it"?
Several of us figured out that it was the neighbour. I don't think anyone suspected the idol though. Can't exactly call it an asspull, because we knew that she had been on the concert, but the red herring with the coworkers made it hard. Though I guess that's the purpose of a red herring.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, pursuing murder over a simple noise complaint is such an ass move, karma caught up quickly

But how exactly do police get these notes of confession? Does she write some note right before killing the next individual and turn it in? Wouldn’t the police notice a fault in the handwriting or smt?
This time, it was a post on social media. It's written as much. No handwriting.

Dex-chan lover

Her motivation was slightly better than the teacher, that murdered his student just because she'd be a slight inconvenience and almost another one. And killed his cat to test out the acid, don't forget his cat.

Dex-chan lover
And yeah, you could tell me "this isn't that kind of story, it's about a physic MC solving impossible cases so you won't be able to figure it you" but it's certainly written and presented like one.
Written and presented how? I see a story about a sociopath girl who, as of chapter 8, extrajudically executed at least three people. I don't see the story being concerned with presenting a mystery for the readers to solve, it was like 5 20-pages chapters, the first one of which set the stage, and by the last chapter, the mystery was already solved; the remaining three chapters were mostly focusing on the detective, and not on presenting more clues. Whatever this story tries to be, a mystery it is not.

Part of the fun of a whodunnit is that the audience gets to participate and try to guess the culprit before the author reveals it. One of the most entertaining things about detective/mystery stories is when you get to figure it out beforehand because the author did a good job at presenting the information.

And yeah, you could tell me "this isn't that kind of story, it's about a physic MC solving impossible cases so you won't be able to figure it out" but it's certainly written and presented like one. What's even the point of trying to give us hints if the answer is going to be "this rando did it"?
Exactly how I felt
"Oh so it's just a rando this time?"
I hope future culprits will be a bit more interesting and foreshadowed

I dunno, it really seems like they pulled the idol outta their ass for a twist. Like it wasn't even the neighbor the husband was sleeping with or the landlady, it was someone we didn't even know was a part of the story. Maybe they coulda stuck paparazzi outside the building in earlier chapters to show theirs someone famous living there or have some stalker do it to please their oshi instead.

Dex-chan lover
I always hate how some kid can just kill adults for some edgy reason and succeeded. Like.... They can fight back too you know?

Also this idol one is such an asspull. Really? Because it's too loud? Subverting expectation much?
Yeah, because no one has killed anyone for silly reasons like that. Nope, not ever

Users who are viewing this thread