Under the Oak Tree

Supporter
He sees her like an object? Only for sex? Absurd! He is giving her thick liquid courage, the good (white) stuff! Injecting her with life!

guys stop saying that he only sees her as a object. In the novel, he wasnt even that type of guy. Stop judging so easily knowing that we are yet at the beginning. Dont ruin riftan’s image bc he is the type of guy who is obsessive tsundere.

Don't know why but I really like this one. Read it, reread it, rereread it. Found the LN, read that, reread that. Thank you for your hard work Patchy-san

I understand how people are saying he only sees her as a sex object but to be fair 1st historical context thats kind of usual but 2nd and most importantly they don't know each other at all, the had sex once and then he left. He can't love her or appreciate her for her personality because she hasn't shown that she has a personality yet, a lot relationships start off on an aesthetic level and evolve to emotional and personality based. She obviously has some serious trauma that is impairing her ability to have relationships and has probably stopped her from really developing a personality. So do I wish he was more aware of her very clear signs of abuse? yes but will I vilify him and call him a bad person? no, because from what I have seen from him he seems to be a truly caring person who wants to give her the world and I think/hope their relationship will evolve past sex as she is able to heal and develop herself

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

@ID54
you're completely offbeat. I can only say that because I read the spoilers for the novels but yea.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Is it bad I am looking forward to Riftan finding out about how Maximilian was abused? I want to see him loose his shit only to have to stop and reassure her that she is fine, it's all okay, she's not to blame for any of it.

While it can be nerve wracking to see Maxi struggle so much, it seems more realistic for her to take time to become a stronger person, especially considering the years of abuse and childhood trauma. These are difficult things to deal with, and if she overcame them within one night or a few days, it would not convey the character development.
Also... I don't like the merchant dude... I feel like he will get his ass whooped by ML...

The story is amazing. It's not your usual story, and the writer doesn't rely on a super intricate plot to keep you engaged, but complex characters like Maxi, who has been abused and neglected and left to live in the shadows to the point where she's a stuttering, nervous panicky and overthinking wreck. She's shy and awkward and sometimes I catch myself feeling her uncomfortableness through my laptop screen. It's unbelievable how well the writer has portrayed her, I can understand her fears and sympathise with them. Often times, main female characters are portrayed as being shy and gentle, but that's all there is to their personality. With Maxi, there is a reason behind her stutter, her awkward habit to bite her nails whenever she's nervous, or tremble and faint when she's overwhelmed with emotions. It all roots from her childhood. And the male lead is strong and stubborn and very masculine compared to her, is awkward at times and conflicting, since his mood changes like the weather, but he's honestly very sweet under all the muscles. I'm enjoying how their relationship slowly evolves and blossoms, and how he's slowly drawing her out of her shadows and letting her develop herself as a noble woman of the time. She's trying her best, and even if her mind is constantly playing against her, she isn't giving up. And have I already mentioned just how CUTE they are? I mean, yes there are mature scenes, but they're sooo cuteeeee!!! The art is so historically accurate too at times, like the castles, the shoes and dresses they wear, and the dresses the nannies wear, how she didn't even know how to dress herself and the undergarments...yes. This is a piece of art. But if you're here for an extravagant plot, this is not the story for you. This is more about romance and self development. If you want to read a story of a shy woman who has low self esteem and constantly doubts herself and her relationship, and then finally overcomes those doubts, this is the story for you! I personally am enjoying it a lot.

After reading the light novel up to chapter 100 I can say, with much spoiler, her character does a lot of growing. This is a good one to read.

Wondering where chapter 7 went.....xD

Contributor
...It's saddening and frustrating to watch all their communication issues and resultant consent problems, bundled up with the bloke's toxic masculinity.

On the other hand they're doing the medieval setting pretty sincerely, so I'm willing to accept some of the frustrating bits about how he treats her as... regrettable historical accuracy to some extent. No bed of roses this, but perhaps there is a clumsy but real love there, that sort of thing.

But in the sex scenes (or related... foreplay?) in particular, I start to get a bit uneasy about which things are being romanticized.

Well, we'll see how it goes. It looks like a lot of it's intentionally primed for character and relationship growth, at any rate.

@Pokari Sadly, the misunderstandings continue to persist for a while but they do manage to clear up somewhat as they open up to each other more. Maxie continues to hide her true upbringing though. :(

There are definitely touches of realism in the novel that I appreciate given the "medieval" setting (they actually worry about lice!) but unfortunately, the sexism also comes with it. Imo, it doesn't reach dealbreaker levels buuuuut YMMV! So I'd say tread carefully, still. The relationship really does improve though so I think you don't have to worry about the consent being dubious at best. Maxie's strides towards self-improvement and confidence are also wonderful to see. It's a bit slow-going at the moment but not unpleasant.

i love LOVE under the oak tree but was always sad cuz i felt like i didn't have anywhere to JUST talk about it.

BUT found this discord server just for under the oak tree recently and anyone who loves talking about this should join! https://discord.gg/BRpaXcAJAW

This girl has such an inferiority complex. I wish she would talk to him and lay out everything, the same for him. Their lack of communication is really killing the story, one can hope it will get better as the story progresses.

Users who are viewing this thread