Unfair Reaction To The MC

Dex-chan lover
So I just made a comment on the newest chapter of a manga I like because the MC is getting a lot of hate. And I mean A LOT. But I couldn't see why and it seemed pretty unfair to me (I might be wrong but hey). I know there must be more to this kind of thing out there on this site and I'd like to hear about it. What manga MC have you seen unfairly dumped on by the readers?

Contributor
Pretty much almost any romcom/harem MC whenever they don't reciprocate [BEST GIRL]'s feelings and instead continue to chase after [WORST GIRL].
Or really, almost any romcom/harem MC in general. (Though some are fairly and justifiably trashed by the readers.)

Dex-chan lover
I guess having zero self-esteem is an alien concept to a good chunk of readers.

Dex-chan lover
@justforthelulz

I've seen some heavy hate for Harem MC's....for MCs in general who don't pick the fan favorite (the Narusaku shippers are still unbelievably salty for example).

@Hitspark
I'm not sure what genre you are referring to but i don't like 90% of all isekai MC's.
I don't type my feelings as long as the story doesn't suddenly turns to shit or just ends.
For me the story is more important then the MC.

Dex-chan lover
@LowSanity

Any genre, really. The one I'm referring to is an Isekai, but the guy hasn't done anything intentionally malicious. He just got thrown into a world similar to his own and he wants out because he wants a more fantasy-style life. Yet the comments are all about him being dumb and a bad MC and so on. He hasn't hit on anyone, he hasn't started a harem, he hasn't gotten into any trouble. At most he's been a bit rude because he seriously wants a more fantasy style life and he'll talk about tropes to the monsters face, but that's about it. Even then he's pretty harmless.

Dex-chan lover
It's the internet my guy. There's always going to be someone thrashing on the mc for no particular reason. For example I remember this one where the (isekai)mc was going to be forced to marry his sister but he chose to run away. Now that seems like a perfectly fine choice to me but it somehow incited the mob to grab their pitchforks and start blasting him for not wanting to commit incest. Shit had me rolling but it just goes to show you no matter what people will find some reason to bash on the mc.

@Hitspark
I don't think i have seen the one you are talking 'bout.

I have a real world friend that reads manga as well but out of all manga that we have seen there's only one that we both enjoy.
I like stuff like Ascendance of a Bookworm, Superior†, Hoshi no Samidare, Spirit Circle, Yagate Kimi ni Naru, Blame! or Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai.
He likes Dragon Ball, One Punch-Man, Bleach, Shuumatsu no Valkyrie, Baki Dou, Berserk or Sword Art Online.

We clearly like totally different stuff and other then one single manga we have never agreed on what's good.
The ppl trashing the MC in the comments probably like totally different type of MC then you do.

Fed-Kun's army
As some already said, romance harem MCs are usually the target for that. Some don't deserve the hate, some definitely do. Take Haruto from KNIM for example. Dude had several major asshole moves throughout the manga. There's some that don't get hate as much as they should. I know of one example - Kazuya from Rental Girlfriend. But overall, people tend to hate MCs mostly because the MC doesn't do and act like what the reader wants him/her to.

Contributor
@Neko_Chan
This does seem to fit the description by @sterven.
Saikyou Juzoku Tensei: Cheat Majutsushi no Slow Life

That title length is positively diminutive compared to some of the titles we're treated to nowadays.
i.e.
Mezametara Saikyou Soubi to Uchuusen-mochi Datta no de, Ikkodate Mezashite Youhei Toshite Jiyuu ni Ikitai
Wakamono no Kuro Mahou Hanare ga Shinkoku desu ga, Shuushoku shite Mitara Taiguu Iishi, Shachou mo Tsukaima mo Kawaikute Saikou desu!
It's Fun Having a 300,000 yen a Month Job Welcoming Home an Onee-san Who Doesn't Find Meaning in a Job That Pays Her 500,000 yen a Month

Group Leader
@justforthelulz
Ah yes the title does pale in comparison to some of the actual long titles like the one you mentioned, but i meant that it was too long for my lazy self to bother to type since i couldn't ctr c it

Users who are viewing this thread