Usogui - Vol. 42 Ch. 461 - The Uncovered Landmine

Lalo, "I've uncovered your landmine and the borders of your illusion." A badass quote, but saying that with all the dead members of IDEAL behind you seems like a deathflag to me me Lalo :p

Group Leader
im guessing lalo thinks baku set a land mine by hiding extra air but in reality baku didn't have shit and bet everything but only made lalo think that

Fed-Kun's army
@nhattminhh
https://mangadex.org/chapter/596414/12
https://mangadex.org/chapter/694834/16
Vincent has called Caracal (in his sleep state) and Voja('s hands) beautiful before.

@belkrax
How could you say that. Voja was never ugly, she just believed she was.😢

Fed-Kun's army
"All talented people are beautiful, just like shining stars."
And yeah, Baku sure is beautiful. It took you quite the time to realize that, Lalo.
But be careful, because beyond the stars... there are aliens.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, that spread of Lalo and his allies is great, it's just like the one that started this Air Poker match off, of Baku and his allies.

Lalo's scarred by the Protoporos gamble to believe Baku must have Air-Bios, even without Baku having to go ahead and prove it. I'm sure Baku accounted for that when he broke the covering though. Baku's thoughts continue to be ambiguous, as to whether or not he actually has air. Although at this point, that no longer matters. It's all on Hal now.

Fed-Kun's army
@cromat
At first I was going to dismiss this idea, but after skimming over this chapter a few more times, I'm wondering if this could actually be a possibility.

If you think of it from that perspective, when Baku says "if Lalo had folded right now, this would've ended easily already", could that be referring to his own loss? Because right after that line he claims that since Lalo bet 1 bios there's hope, and by that, potentially not in the sense of there being a back up plan (i.e. hidden leftover air), but instead in reference to the fight continuing.

Baku might've truly been banking it all on Hal from the start, with no real safety nets to break his fall.

Dex-chan lover
@saxifraga
It's like that for all of Baku's thoughts for the last 3-4 chapters. There's a lot of ambiguity regarding what the reality of the situation is. I don't think he was gambling on Hal from the start, since the earliest he seemed to figure it out was shortly after his revival.

Also, the broken indicator is a safety net. Whether or not Baku's stored extra air thanks to it, it's already apparent the kind of effect it's having on Lalo. Forcing him to call in a situation where he'd most likely win just by folding.

Fed-Kun's army
@Veshv
Hmm, I don't know. That last chapter sorta threw me for a loop. Baku's thoughts made it seem like (to me) that Lalo betting wasn't necessarily a good thing.

No, yeah, that's what I meant to say. Not actually from the very start, but like you said, essentially from the time Baku realized Hal was a part of this game. Sorry, I should've worded that better.

I mean, it's kind of semantics, but I somewhat disagree. I think of "safety net" as something Baku can fall back on if a plan fails. And initially I was under the impression that Baku had two separate schemes completely different from each other, but now it seems like it's just one with multiple layers to it. Like, it's all or nothing on this, and that's it for Baku. If he loses, he loses. Funny enough, that seems to explain my question from last chapter as to why Baku did a max bet.

What I still don't get is the 1 bios bet of Lalo. Could someone explain?

I mean, folding is not an option anymore now, if he folds Usogui will have two air bios more than him, even Lalo admitted that a 2 bios difference is fatal. Now, even if he didn't discover the landmine, he basically commited himself to every possible raise, so it would result in the same scenario.

So what is so good about this bet? He could as well bet to the max and get the same result. He basically discarded the option of folding before discovering the landmine, so it was just a gamble to me, not cleverness.

Power Uploader
@Timadara
1. It gives him 30 more seconds to find the glass.
2. He wants to see if Baku would call or fold. If Baku wanted to fight him, he could've called and won with a 2 bios difference. If Baku raises, that means he wants Lalo to fold.(or just wants to go all-in since it's the last round anyway, but the glass of the regulator makes Lalo believe that Baku wants him to fold.)
Lalo can still fold if he thinks Baku didn't reserve the air, because Lalo's been reserving air too.

Dex-chan lover
@saxifraga
That's kinda the point though, whenever we get to see Baku's thoughts, they've almost always held more than one possible meaning. During the tower gamble, and then again with his "chat" with Kyara's corpse, Baku's thoughts would lead us in one direction and turn out to mean something completely different. I don't think Baku was disturbed by the bet, but rather the fact that Lalo only bet a single Bios.

Far as the idea of a safety net goes, you have a point. The "safety net"'s purpose seems to have been to force whatever plan Baku came up with in the late game to come to fruition. In that sense, it wasn't really a back-up plan, but more a catalyst.

Users who are viewing this thread