Vinland Saga - Vol. 25 Ch. 177 - Sailing West Part 11

Dex-chan lover
Bought local release last week, volumes 1-5 (omnibus so 10 volumes in JP). Read all in 3 days, bought the other 2. Realized there's 11 untranslated volumes worth of content and the next omnibus literally just came out last month, meaning it'll take few years to catch up.

I READ ALL 11 VOLUMES IN PAST DAY

worth it.

Bug Eyes owed 33 pounds of GOLD.

If that directly translates into troy pounds of gold, then this motherfucker is in DEEP SHIT.

Even the difference of selling him as a slave wouldn't make up for it.

Is the manga gonna end soon or are they gonna have one more final twist with a battle or something I just hope the ending is either wholesome or is top tier caliber like the first arc and the farm arc was

Dex-chan lover
@User1898
It's not just a popular theory, it's widely established and without any real competition. Can you give more details on alternate theories? Because as far as I know, we have ample evidence that black death was caused by yersinia pestis, which is a bacteria still common in rat fleas in some areas of the world and not really carried by other vectors who could come into contact with humans.

@Dennis-aka-Denji

The issue, as far as I understand, is that rats aren't actually all that keen on migrating.

A rat's nest is usually extremely confined in its territory to allow the spread of the black death at the rate it did actually spread.

So having an outbreak of the plague in one town shouldn't affect a town two miles over, since rat populations generally remain fairly close to their respective nests.

Rats certainly didn't help the matter, but it is not without skepticism that they are the main contributing factor in the fast spread of the black death across europe.

Equally, it's not even without contention that the black death was the plague to begin with.

Here's a paper that is casting some of the skepticism on the theory

https://pmj.bmj.com/content/81/955/315

Dex-chan lover
@User1898

Thank you, that was an interesting read. I think I'm still more convinced by the conventional view, though. AFAIK, the consensus is that rats travelled somewhat unwillingly via ships. The black death did follow Genoese merchant routes pretty closely. As for the speed of its spread, the bubonic plague becomes an airborne pathogen once it's sufficiently nested in a human host's lungs, after which human to human contact accounts for most of the spread. It's still a relatively widespread disease unfortunately, so we have pretty recent studies for that.

@Dennis-aka-Denji

That's all I really wanted to say. I am not saying this paper is correct, but it is interesting to see plausible hypotheses that differ from the commonly accepted theory.

Especially when the differing hypotheses bring up credible skepticisms. History is always going to have a certain amount of inaccuracies simply because the sources can be spotty or unreliable.

Bug Eyes heading from a gold digger to a golden opportunity...and then likely back home again as a survivor.

Users who are viewing this thread