Vinland Saga - Vol. 25 Ch. 178 - Sailing West Part 12

@moel That's so funny. By this time though, Vikings already had a few settlements on Finnish coasts and islands, and they did raids too of course. It didn't always go so swimmingly though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_at_Herdaler PS. Moreover, there was very little to raid

Dex-chan lover
If i saw that irl i'd just whip out my brown pants right then and there.

Also, imagine how terrifying it mustve been to travel the seas and have no clue what's underneath it. Even to this day we still kinda have no clue really

We didn't get a decade on a boat! and lol of course Bugeyes would be the one to see (nessie?)

Double-page supporter
@Abedeus
Yes, some smart people did, but I was talking about the average person, who had no time to wonder about these things.

Fed-Kun's army
I wonder, how many people thought the earth was round? Say, right before the theory became famous, their must’ve been a ton of sailors who thought the same thing. Even bug eye’s and Carlyle started to piece it together, well Carlyle is still smarter than full eyes.

From Wikipedia:

Hans Egede, the national saint of Greenland, gives an 18th-century description of a sea serpent. On July 6, 1734 his ship sailed past the coast of Greenland when suddenly those on board "saw a most terrible creature, resembling nothing they saw before. The monster lifted its head so high that it seemed to be higher than the crow's nest on the mainmast. The head was small and the body short and wrinkled. The unknown creature was using giant fins which propelled it through the water. Later the sailors saw its tail as well. The monster was longer than our whole ship."

Users who are viewing this thread