Volcanic Age

@DexerMang Yeah I see where you are coming from. That was my position too. But look at it this way: if they had used beidou qixing instead of seven stars, would readers know there are SEVEN of them before hand? Besides that's not the name the author uses. From what I saw in the raws, he uses the archaic doumu. Good luck translating such an ambiguous and obscure term (or maybe Koreans still use the ancient form today, I don't know. I even had to google it for this reply, despite knowing it was about the big dipper). There are Lian zhen, Po jun, Jumen, Tan lang, Wen qu (Wen chu), Lu cun (Lu tsuen) and Wu qu (Wu chiu) too. Now imagine this: let's say the star holding the Lian zhen title is named Bai Xing. When his identity gets revealed it'd be something like "Bai Xing aka Lian Zhen". Then, the boss would call him Lian Zhen like he always does, but other characters call him Bai Xing. The readers'd be confused and say "Who is who?", "Who is Lian Zhen again?", "Is this Bai Xing?"; like it always happens in other manhua/manwha. Which is why titles -thanks to not being personal names- are almost always translated to english i.e: the crazed sword, the sword demon, heavenly ravager, etc.

Because of details like these, keeping the names in korean, except for westernizing important stuff that can impact on the story and the inference of it, is reasonable. At least in my opinion.

@ZombiesAreNotOkay I am not suggesting they go with Chinese names, I am suggesting that if they localize for the sake of context and speed, they should do so to the names that are recognizable like the Zhuge clan. To begin with, it's a Korean webcomic, just the fact that the MC and Nak So-Wol/So-Wul have Korean names will make it pointless to convert everything to Chinese. However, we do know that it's a series that has not only China, but also Korea, Tibet, etc etc. So it's absolutely fine to just add all the names. To begin with Poison Phoenix's name is Tang-Hye, Tang being a mainly Chinese name especially in this case since it's referring to the Tang clan of Szechuan and is implying to be the Tang clan of Imperial China just like the Zhuge clan is a royal family as well. These clans may no longer be the current Emperors but given how the setting is clearly China with how they referenced Zhuge Liang, and backed by how we have Hubei, Hefei, etc etc, Chinese locations which have yet to be localized, no matter how you look at it the translators likely won't ever convert everything to one format and it will remain mixed. And that's fine, so long as they are consistent. There's no reason to turn Tang to Dang, it will just confuse people on why a Korean family is based in Szechuan and is referred to as a royal family alongside the Zhuge family.

I also think titles should be localized for convenience's sake, otherwise it's too much of a hassle. That said it makes no sense whatsoever to keep important and famous family names Korean when they are referencing obvious Chinese lineages such as Tang and Zhuge. Nobody recognizes Dang and Je Gal at first, so where is the logic that only western names should be kept to their language? What about the Tibetan monks? I don't see their names and terminologies being translated to Korean or localized to English. To begin with, in a story with multinational ethnicity and cultures, it makes far more sense to be able to use those different names when convenient, for the same reason you gave out to the western star names. Just like one would be okay with Jackie Chan because he clearly took an English name instead of his original Chinese name Kong-sang, nobody would localize Xi Jinping because that's simply his name. You would not see a western tabloid giving him an English name, nor would you see a Korean tabloid give him a Korean name.

Therefore while it's fine to do a mix when convenient, there's absolutely no reason to treat the Chinese characters that we know as if they are some Chinese star names and localize them into Korean names, especially when they live in Chinese locations connected to their family name. Far more people will pick up Tang and Zhuge than Dang and Je Gal, it's basically impossible to contest this unless you're asking in Korea. All I'm asking for is consistency, especially when the previous translators have already established their names and we know their identities, trying to localize only their names is irrational and biased against the Chinese.

@DexerMang Dude, they are going to translate all the new names in korean and the titles in english. And include additionals in parenthesis if necessary. As I wrote in my first reply: the author not always includes the hanja. How in the world can someone translate something if there is nothing to translate, just the regular korean names in hangul? without hanja it's impossible to know the chinese equivalent. Btw, hanja are those "chinese characters" koreans used to use centuries ago before hangul existed. Sometimes they are used today in official documents like marriage registry, etc but those are common characters that survived the passage of time. The "normal" characters used in everyday life are lost for the average Joe. You need to be scholar level to read and know how to use that stuff as if it's your regular writing system. I assume that's the reason why the author sometimes doesn't include them. The same happened in China and Japan, the way the characters are used today is not the same as hundreds of years ago. There have been significant changes even when we compared them to the time before WW2. For example, the traditional hanja names for cao cao, lu bu, etc don't use the same characters as the modern chinese names.

Wow...i hope TrashScanlations are okay, it's been a while since we last saw them, i hope nothing bad happened, uuuh I'm worried ! 😭💜
Love your scanlations so so much ! 😭

Dex-chan lover
@MinGenius i dunno what rock you were living under, but Trash scans had imploded months ago into several groups due to internal disagreements

@Wolvenworks ooh really ?? Then do you know what those groups are ? I was quite busy so i didn't really have time to see for myself, after all there's something called real life and responsabilities haha i don't think anyone could stay 24/7 in their phones just to catch every little change that might or might not happen haha, anyaway thanks for the information and have a nice IRL life~~ 😊
Edit: Ah there's no need for an answer after all, i found it, thanks again~~

Dex-chan lover
@MinGenius [mild sarcasm] appreciate the sarcasm lad. i too am having a great IRL life. [mild sarcasm] that aside, i've just been a gauntlet of 3 presentation days so let me vent out a bit once in a while...

@Wolvenworks It's okay haha i felt pretty bad for my answer as well but i really had other business to attend to and i didn't like that i was used to vent out someone's anger (i also thought about how we were so caught up in our phones that we don't take the time to see this bright beautiful world we live in so i was a bit sad and mad at the same time,sory~~) but i understand since i myself do it too lmao so i felt a bit hypocritical remembering my own bursts of anger, anyway thanks for being more mature then me, please take care of your health, don't forget to rest and i apologize for my last comment, thanks again for your understanding and kindness throughout this small conversation~~
Ah and have a great life fellow human being ! 😆

Dex-chan lover
@MinGenius Lucky you. Jakarta’s skies are rarely blue...air certainly is bad. Makes everything have this depressing existential crisis filter on

@Wolvenworks well the world is big haha there's variety everywhere, we have every kind of weather, it's just sad that human beings are killing each other and other beings, innocent plants, animals, children and pure humans shouldn't be suffering that way, it makes me want to torture all the corrupt humans, and maybe exterminate them too...well it isn't allowed anyway and i'd rather help others to be happy then busy myself with worthless trash. (A bit out of the subject but it's still linked to pollution so guess that's alright huhu~~)

This isn't fully up to date like the one from Manga Rock... It's said to see this not being updated anymore.

It looks like Leviatan Scans picked this up, and it's scanlated up to chapter 118 now. Not sure why it hasn't made it over here yet.

edit: nevermind, looks like they explicitly requested their work not be uploaded to MD. that's disappointing.

Group Leader
this amazing cultivation story there is no novel that's why this is so good . 10/10

Fed-Kun's army
@blank36: On the sword is the young MC (~12), and the one holding the sword is the older MC (~18).

Up to chapter 130 now. Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread