Wahhaman - Vol. 3 Ch. 19 - Bowl of Ramen

Dex-chan lover
If a word seems odd, see if it makes more sense in context with preceeding/following speech balloons. Maybe a phrase is being spread across multiple panels. Also, sometimes speech is written as if the character is stuttering; for example, in English:
"W-well, if you say s...so?"
(There's also a chance that the word is more of a sound effect than a directly spoken word, but I'm pretty sure you got that aspect covered)

Context of words is important for good translation. For example, while it may seem odd to say "Tear!" or "Break!" in a literal translation of the word, consider what the character is doing: trying to destroy the robot, and doing so by piercing it's armor. So in that context, the character crying out "Pierce! Pierce! Pierce!" indicating they want their attack to penetrate the armor of Wahhaman would be a more accurate translation.

MTL can work wonders, but it should always be treated as not much more than an automated dictionary look-up. The real translation comes from understanding the intent of the words with regards to the context they are in. Often even with intent and context fully understood the phrasing may seem odd; this is because languages and cultures are different and the intent of the words are not as accurately conveyed to readers of a different language, what with idioms and other phrasing that require further cultural context that the text itself simply doesn't convey. Localizing is a dirty word to many, but it is often necessary to make the intent of a wording make clearer sense to the non-native readers.

To a certain extent, of course. Going too far with localization creates situations where context that doesn't belong is generated by the translation itself. "Come on Jimmy, let's go out for some hamburgers!"characters slurp down a bowl of ramen

Keep up the good work, you're getting better with each release. Apologies if this unsolicited advice is unwanted, if so just let me know.

Group Leader
If a word seems odd, see if it makes more sense in context with preceeding/following speech balloons. Maybe a phrase is being spread across multiple panels. Also, sometimes speech is written as if the character is stuttering; for example, in English:

(There's also a chance that the word is more of a sound effect than a directly spoken word, but I'm pretty sure you got that aspect covered)

Context of words is important for good translation. For example, while it may seem odd to say "Tear!" or "Break!" in a literal translation of the word, consider what the character is doing: trying to destroy the robot, and doing so by piercing it's armor. So in that context, the character crying out "Pierce! Pierce! Pierce!" indicating they want their attack to penetrate the armor of Wahhaman would be a more accurate translation.

MTL can work wonders, but it should always be treated as not much more than an automated dictionary look-up. The real translation comes from understanding the intent of the words with regards to the context they are in. Often even with intent and context fully understood the phrasing may seem odd; this is because languages and cultures are different and the intent of the words are not as accurately conveyed to readers of a different language, what with idioms and other phrasing that require further cultural context that the text itself simply doesn't convey. Localizing is a dirty word to many, but it is often necessary to make the intent of a wording make clearer sense to the non-native readers.

To a certain extent, of course. Going too far with localization creates situations where context that doesn't belong is generated by the translation itself. "Come on Jimmy, let's go out for some hamburgers!"characters slurp down a bowl of ramen

Keep up the good work, you're getting better with each release. Apologies if this unsolicited advice is unwanted, if so just let me know.
Thank you for your review. Yes, I have covered your first point. On your second point, I do try to be as faithful to the original text as possible. Maybe I should have asked for some help in some forum as well instead of just winging it. Also, what is MTL? It seems they're a novel site according to my google search.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for your review. Yes, I have covered your first point. On your second point, I do try to be as faithful to the original text as possible. Maybe I should have asked for some help in some forum as well instead of just winging it. Also, what is MTL? It seems they're a novel site according to my google search.
Machine translation. If you aren't using it, I apologize profusely.

Also, yes, it's always good to have a second set of eyes on a script.

Users who are viewing this thread