Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! - Vol. 14 Ch. 69 - In Order to Be Sisters

Dex-chan lover
Yano confessed her feelings to Hime, got (temporarily) rejected. Sumika confessed her feelings to Kanoko, got (temporarily) rejected.

I'm nooticing.

Dex-chan lover
Is this going to kinda end up like with Hime when she rejects Yano but you can obviously tell they both love each other a few chapters later after

So the conclusion for this arc(Sumika and Kanoko), start as fake girlfriend to became KissFriend/S*xFriend(Page 35).

I think it's better Got rejected or got accepted than this semi relation.

Dex-chan lover
This is so impossibly byzantine and complicated, what could they possibly get from this '' sorta in love but not really'' situation ? Even by awkward teenager standards, this is freaking silly.

There’s an interesting line here, and I’m not sure how much is down to a complicated translation and how much is brewing drama: Kanoko says that Yoko “forced [her] to accept that ‘kissing and sex are essential to romance.’”

The thing is, this is almost exactly the opposite of Yoko’s point. Yoko wasn’t arguing that romance needs kissing, she was arguing that kissing needs romance, that the act of kissing is meaningful in a way Kanoko kept trying to deny. Yano kisses Hime and now Kanoko’s upset because that kiss meant something. Yoko kisses Kanoko and Kanoko’s upset because she’s lost something, because that kiss was a violation. The stated purpose of Yoko’s whole awful scheme was to get Kanoko to admit that kissing and sex, in themselves, carry emotional weight.

So Kanoko says “Gosh, Yoko was awful but I sure learned something!” but then, only a few pages later, she offers to kiss Sumika and Sumika has to be the one to turn her down. It’s interesting, is what I’m saying.
There's something a little bit more happening here too.
From my read, Watayuri is, or at least, has become, a critical examination of Class - S. Yoko's point as Miman's villainous mouthpiece isn't exclusively kissing needs romance, or that romance needs kissing, it's something more foundational about the nature of how Kanoko (and the Class - S) genre views relationships as devoid of physicality and being a pure and purely emotional bond, just like the "sisterhood" stuff. Sumika's 'sin' which makes Yoko hate her is her rejection of romance while still being attached to this idealized "Sisterhood", which is ultimately, in Yoko's view, romance for cowards.

Yoko's argument isn't specifically romance → kissing or kissing → romance, but that these girls are in a cycle of deception and self-torture because they refuse to acknowledge their true desires and needs and feel the compulsion to pretend it's something much purer than it is.

That's why she got so insistent about Yano and Hime's kiss, or rather, Kanoko's denial of it mattering. Kanoko wanted to believe that there's this pure world of connection that she and Hime had, or could have, and that physicality couldn't, and wouldn't, intrude on it or matter. Yoko basically tells her "that's fucking dumb, you need to acknowledge your pain because you wish it was you who kissed her."

Dex-chan lover
This arc / this couple in a shellnut:

"How useless do you want your lesbians?"

"Yes"

Supporter
So much is going on and we are getting to move forward. Thanks for the chapter and the translation

Dex-chan lover
Kanoko to Sumika

Kanoko: I don't love you but it's okay to love me

Kanoko: I want to kiss you anyway

💀

Its okay She's a little confused but trying

Dex-chan lover
Everything suggests that we are about to start a new Arc (I would say focused on Hime). The only problem is that it's going to be a while before we get a new chapter, since the author took this month to rest and apparently the next one as well (and it's not because a new volume is going to be released). So we'll have to be patient.

Dex-chan lover
There's something a little bit more happening here too.
From my read, Watayuri is, or at least, has become, a critical examination of Class - S. Yoko's point as Miman's villainous mouthpiece isn't exclusively kissing needs romance, or that romance needs kissing, it's something more foundational about the nature of how Kanoko (and the Class - S) genre views relationships as devoid of physicality and being a pure and purely emotional bond, just like the "sisterhood" stuff. Sumika's 'sin' which makes Yoko hate her is her rejection of romance while still being attached to this idealized "Sisterhood", which is ultimately, in Yoko's view, romance for cowards.

Yoko's argument isn't specifically romance → kissing or kissing → romance, but that these girls are in a cycle of deception and self-torture because they refuse to acknowledge their true desires and needs and feel the compulsion to pretend it's something much purer than it is.

That's why she got so insistent about Yano and Hime's kiss, or rather, Kanoko's denial of it mattering. Kanoko wanted to believe that there's this pure world of connection that she and Hime had, or could have, and that physicality couldn't, and wouldn't, intrude on it or matter. Yoko basically tells her "that's fucking dumb, you need to acknowledge your pain because you wish it was you who kissed her."
Yeah, Yoko is clearly of the opinion that Class S is naive, exploitive, and a sort of lesbianism with training wheels. Though the character's predatory nature unfortunately colors the perceived validity of her argument.
The idea that the café, and Class S by extension, can serve as a safe space for young queer people to explore their identity isn't a bad view, but the work itself seems kind of mixed on how to approach it. Like this chapter is basically telling Sumika that it's okay to experience desire beyond the constrained chastity of "sister system" but still puts the breaks on actually allowing those expressions. At least until Kanoko gets her act together and realizes that she actually does have similar feelings.

You could even view the prior Hime & Yano arc as sending a similar "you can have and express those feelings but don't act on them" message. Hopefully the series solidifies what it wants to say in the next arc.

Dex-chan lover
Even when Kanoko is trying to act nice she ends doing badly.
I mean what in the fuck is even the continue to love me but I will not love you. And let's kiss but I love Hime...🙃
I don't think it's kind or even a good action, she should encourage Sumika to distance herself and try to forget her since she doesn't have a chance.
It's so messed up 🙃
I hope this arc ends already, I really miss Yano

Honestly… I dont even know what to say at this point. I was really hoping for Kanoko to end up falling for Sumika but with her saying she still loves Hime Im honestly just really annoyed at this point. Move the hell on, dont you see how good of a person Sumika is? Dont you see Hime wouldnt love you? Honestly, I feel sorry for Sumika. How did she even learn to love this person.

Users who are viewing this thread