We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 5 Ch. 22

this chapter feels,it felt close yet far from me but its a very good concept of thinking for the kid

Fed-Kun's army
Oh, man, what fantastic Christmas gift. Time for ethics. I get what the chapter is going for but the back of my mind kept going back to the capitalism/communism chapter. Although if we achieve a life of even more convenience and no scarcity of resources, I guess the next question is "and then what".

Somewhat relatable since I've experienced this before. Felt like being disconnected from the world lol technology advancement really takes a toll on me, huh.

Dex-chan lover
He should have advised him to just write Isekai novels. I mean, with the amount of labor some of those authors put in display through their works. He would fit right in.

Dex-chan lover
But sensei what about the increasing trend of the automation of labor and the accumulation of wealth trough the production of virtual services that displace the involvement of the human force?
How can labor be human if labor is no longer a human endeavor but a human need, not to produce but to consume, while the most wealthy of humans don't actually labor, because their wealth allows them to be freed from having to labor?

Man that would do for a good chapter, i can only wish the author revisits the theme under a more modern perspective.

@Doomroar we have to see back to the ethics class scene in the beginning of this chapter, sensei said, “when humans achieve the desired freedom, they will get overwhelmed by the weight of freedom”

You are right, in this modern day when human labors is replaced by automation, the meaning of “labor” will be shifted as well, but still humans are bound to be labors. If we look at the richest people who do not need to be “labors” to get their necessities, we can see that they are doing something to kill their leisure time, it can be gardening, painting, dancing, reading, gambling, anything, their hobbies became necessities to kill the “weight of freedom” they got from automation and wealth, and they are striving for them, in other word, they became “labors” for killing their leisure times

For example, in my country, the best poker athletes are all old rich people, and they are really good at it, winning many medals for my country in many international games (Asian games, Sea games, etc), do they need to be athletes to earn money? No. Playing poker is just their hobby, but because they don’t have to be “labors” to earn money, they put their effort in playing poker, and of course they practice so hard to earn medals. That “practice so hard” brought those old rich people to become “labors” to earn achievements

And, though the automation dismissed human labor power, but humans are beings who strive for something better, in this case, we want to have “more automation”, and the idea to reach that “more autimaton” won’t come out of nowhere through automation. So, who should think about how to invent the higher level of automation? Humans. We may be liberated from physical labors with automation, but humans always be labors of thoughts (I don’t know the term is right or wrong, but i hope you get i meant). As in this chapter, the student liked online games (which is a form of automation), but our sensei suggested him to become game maker, in the other words, labor

And honestly this chapter is related to the old chapter (previous generation) about a male student who had nothing to do and became restless, similar to the student in this chapter who became restless because he got “liberated” from his online game... they both were overwhelmed by the weight of freedom and looked for something to do, to become labors

Dex-chan lover
@Doomroar
At some point in the future, Labour will be automated, bare necessities will be plentiful and the concept of money will cease to exist. "Fully automated luxury gay space communism" will be an actual thing and people can choose whether to labour or not to.

At this point, I believe people will life for the sake of creating something, no matter how useless and mundane it is, and fully commit themselves into it; because again "People will be crushed under the weight of their freedom" and lose their purpose in life.

Labour will still be exist, but with different purpose, so that those who create can have a sense of belonging and achievement of "I have done it", rather than to fulfil the necessities of life

Dex-chan lover
No matter how you ease your job with technology, there is always needs for human to do a labor for manufacture, maintain, and dispose them.

Even if there will be fully automated machine that can even do the manufacturing, maintain, and disposing.

Dex-chan lover
At this point, I believe people will life for the sake of creating something, no matter how useless and mundane it is

Iseakai authors out there living int the future.

I've been waiting for a half year.
And finally there is a new chapter.
Bless this author for creating Mr. Takayanagi <3

And Thank you as always Reica-san :)
Hope you have a wonderful holiday

Dex-chan lover
Takayanagi has turned brooding into a goddamn art form. If only I could be so... grossly melancholic...

Double-page supporter
This chapter is hitting me hard, thanks for TLing. Great works.

Group Leader
@Lolipop_Candy
> Even if there will be fully automated machine that can even do the manufacturing, maintain, and disposing.
But at that point, you will still need people to do the maintenance on the machines.

Users who are viewing this thread