We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 5 Ch. 25 - What I Love

Dex-chan lover
If I find out I have something like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, ALS etc, it's the noose for me. No way I'll let myself waste away while also being a source of suffering for everyone else. I have nothing but respect for those who care for an incapacitated relative, but it can't be denied that it's a task forced onto them. I couldn't bring myself to do that.

Damn, this was a sad one and almost brought me to tears.

Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
@Tersione I see.

Well, here's where I'm coming from: both my grandma and uncle died last year, in October and November respectively. She had dementia as a result of a stroke, while he had dementia as the result of removing a big chunk of his brain taken by a tumor.

I was with grandma a few hours before she passed away, and although she didn't recognize me or my mom, she wouldn't stop asking about us, where were we, if we were well fed (haha, she was living with us at the time, and used to try and overfeed us all the time). All of this as we were right in front of her. After she passed away, my uncle, who also couldn't recognize us most of the time, cried for hours after being told the news, and a few days later, passed on also. What I mean is, there wasn't a trace of dignity in any of these situations, but you ought to agree, there was love.

I had to spend whole weeks in this 3rd world country's public hospital (you can guess it was in a pretty rough shape), I had to attend my online classes while listening to other people with similar conditions to them, screaming and hallucinating right beside me. I did feel like it was unfair that I was the one having to deal with it all, but I assure you, they did not die as annoyances.

Up until that point, I also thought I didn't want to die old. But after seing my grandma being buried with a smile on her face, with the closest family attending to the funeral, while a LOT of people just waited outside in the street (social distancing), it made me want to live a fulfilling life like that, and create as much close bonds as she did in her lifetime.

I'm sorry if this was too long, I didn't write it out of self pity, i just wanted to share with you why I think the way I do. A!so, i get that that @Tersione isn't a monster, and I'm sorry if it sounded like that was my interpretation, I just picked two sentences which I wholeheartedly disagreed with and criticised them.

Dex-chan lover
@lfscruz It's all good. In fact, I have to thank you for sharing something that sensitive and giving a different point of view on the matter. I myself can't help but see dementia as something terrifying, so I appreciate getting some insight on an alternate way of seeing it. Especially a viewpoint that can look past the hardships it brings to focus on the people who suffered from it.

Aggregator gang
I cried when haruyama start crying, maybe I can relate to this chapter a bit

Aggregator gang
This series has a deep story about human, it can be depressing, sad, funny at the same time

Such a good kid
url

Honestly, I was having a personal problem for 2 years cos I'm too scared to face it but sensei finally gives a lesson that I truly need haha,,

"Then how about .... once you're able to do that, why not try .... If everyday is too much, then how about two days at a time?"

I actually cried cos I had never gotten this great advice.

Thank you for the chapter!!

holy shit this made me actually cry lmfao wtf. i understand the feeling of being burdened by family and not being able to complain or say anything badly abt it bc u love them. it's complex. my friends tell me my family's kind of shitty but i don't feel that way at all bc i love them so i kind of related hard to him being pushed to his limit and crying bc of the mix of burden and love and cried along as well.

Users who are viewing this thread