Welcome Back, Alice - Vol. 1 Ch. 5.5 - Afterword

Double-page supporter
I wish the author all the best in their development. It's a... daunting prospect.

Dex-chan lover
Society expects men to be more sexually active and successful, and at the same time accuses them of a constant obsession with sex and lewd motivation. To the point that while feminists accuse men of discriminating against women, some men actually fantasize about becoming girls, finding their life easier and safer. Humanity is such humanity.

Also, have I once missed a point where this manga tried to be an apologetics for unsuccessful men?

Group Leader
after reading all the chapters so far, it’s interesting to look back on them with oshimi sensei’s initial intentions in mind

Fed-Kun's army
huh. This does give a bit more context for why he's making this one.

Double-page supporter
I don't know if he's trans, but he likely felt dysphoria because the typical male image was so different from his self image. "If I'm not like all the other men, then am I a woman?" A lot of men likely feel something like this through their life. It's different from "I feel more comfortable when I imagine myself as a woman" and is more like "Society does not make me feel comfortable with how I define myself as a man".

Group Leader
Join our Discord Server to chat about the series and stay in touch with the scanlators: https://discord.gg/NY9nFFM

Dex-chan lover
@tarns I remember that asano Inio used to says pretty much the same thing '' it would be nice to be a cute girl'' ( because reading manga about cute girl doing cute thing makes him feels better) so at one point, western people assumed he was transgender but in fact he was probably just thinking that '' cute girl have an easy life because they are cute, i wish i had an easy life''

turns out, he's not, he's just super insecure ( and western people can't fact check japanese media for shit)

also, is oshimi shuzo really okay ? is he fine ?

Dex-chan lover
@smolbaka I just don't understand "why". The dude clearly gives the context for such a desire and even adds at the end that it was escapism, which has nothing to do with what real women face in their lives. But people seemed to see "wanted to become a girl", took it out of context and ran with it.

Double-page supporter
Leaving the topic of whether women have it easier or not (the answer is, we don't... After all, we have to deal with a ton of judgment from people because of how we look, and let's not get started with the topic of sexual harassment), there's the thing about the author not feeling lustful.

Libido can come and go, and that's perfectly okay. I think that him rather than being trans, he's probably asexual to a degree, and the issue with that is that when you don't really know what it entails, or that it even exists, you always feel there's "something wrong with you" and you can be very harsh on yourself for not conforming to what society expects.

Power Uploader
Just a thought, but assuming someone is trans because they don't fit into gender stereotypes is itself a sexist notion. It's like saying you might not be a straight guy if you don't live up/conform/relate to the 'alpha', hyper-sexuality macho man behaviors.

Users who are viewing this thread