Welcome Back, Alice - Vol. 1 Ch. 5.5 - Afterword

Contributor
I guess this explains Inside Mari too, to an extent. And I totally get it - we still exist in a society soured by toxic masculinity.

Dex-chan lover
@smolbaka @youdontknowwho LMAO, they are now trying to read him as asexual because he says his libido did not match the stereotypical notions of male potency. I have a feeling that labels have already become a big deal for people and they just cannot accept that a common person can have some kind of gender or sexuality issues that don't overlap with queer things.

@xyzzy You might as well find anti-feminist propaganda in Utena, lol. Not to mention, it's ironic enough to hear this from you after discussing "which" titles we've crossed paths earlier.

Banned
@xyzzy

It's more to do with a toxic society.

Boys can like dolls, wear makeup and such. But society deems that as unmanly.

And the trans movement isn't helping when they say that child is trans.

It reinforces that stereotype.

Nothing to do with masculinity itself.

Actually, it's pretty much what the Western media wants you to believe it is.

Dex-chan lover
@smolbaka The modern trans community is generally a very strange thing. They idealize cases where trans females literally associate "life as a woman" with all possible stereotypes about women, and at the same time demonize women who like to conform to the ideal of femininity. A couple of years ago I saw a magazine that literally admired how trans male twins became police bodybuilders and a couple of pages later accused men of machismo.

I pity all ppl in the comment section and the mangaka, who can’t look at the world for what it really is. Concepts like asexual, transgender and hyper sexual macho man are all lens at which you can look at the world but none of them are the truth. It’s quite sad that majority of ppl can’t take these lens off and look at the world for what it is. The only truth is “I think, therefore I am” as long as you are a breathing thinking human you are what you are.

Dex-chan lover
Sincerely I agree, let's not label the author, if he ever comes out and says that he is something(asexual for example) let him do it alone.
We don't need to take guesses.

Banned
@SuperOniichan

They have the most backwards thinking sometimes

And it's to the point that the definitions of words are being changed to appease them.

I really don't think this trans thing or any other made up gender is organic in the slightest.

If you look at the past, there were transexuals. They mostly didn't want the light to shine on their transition. Because they didn't want to attract attention to it.

Now look at today. Everyone wants a piece of that attention.

Dex-chan lover
@smolbaka It just became trendy. To the point where it becomes even more important than biological women with their feminism, lol. I want to be very salty and ironic about many aspects of this, but it just scares me how quickly people become toxic transphobic in response to all of this. I can already see how people start to react prickly to any mention of trans topics in the media, because they are tired of things like "in FF's remaster, Cloud become crossdresser, so he is a trans!" and so on.

I kind of relate cos my friend sometimes interrogates me on why I don't try to get a gf. Hes even told me that some girls think im gay😭😭, but truth is i like girls but im bare shy unless they talk to me first.

Dex-chan lover
@Nene2k3 Hah, now imagine that you are a feminine introvert with some stereotypically feminine hobbies in addition to masculine ones. At one point, even my best friend was obsessed with speculating about my sexuality, lol. The prejudices are almost the same regardless of the country where you live.

I find it's interesting and I don't want to knock the mangaka for exploring sex and what it means to be a sexual person, especially in the view of a boy who's scared or these things. However, the main character is still annoying. I wish MC's thought process was more fleshed out instead of the blubbering, stumbling mess that he is.

Even though I complain, I'm still interested in how this plays out. If the main character is going to progress and grow as a human and not be a wimp. If Kei's going to be confronted, and we know more about his thought process. if Mitani is going to actually find a good man and stop hanging out with the Duo of Drama. I cringe and I get frustated, but I can't stop reading.

Banned
@SuperOniichan

I wonder why or how it became trendy.

I would say media and articles that perpetuate this life style but that may not be the end to it

Dex-chan lover
@smolbaka Well, I have come across posers a few times who have lived the life of regular cis folks, just using "btw I'm trans" for various manipulations, so I can assume that it just became a kind of subculture that devalues the experience of real trans people. Perhaps this is something like nu males, who shout loudest about their support for feminism, eventually turning out to be terrible sexual predators.

However, among my friends there is only one trans person and he is already 37 old, so I'm not very familiar with what this culture has become in the last 5-7 years.

Tbh I don't know anything about Japan's medical system, but this literally just sounds like he could have low T and could be solved pretty easily

Dex-chan lover
I have very similar issues as this author, but have never, ever thought of "If i only could be a girl" That is absolutely forbidden in my book.

I'm starting to see why some boys wants to be a girl....

Dex-chan lover
Yeah he seems like he might be somewhat ace, though that is up to him to identify himself as one.
A shame people like #S*perOniichan and others seem to be a little bit "skeptical" (to not say straight up bigoted and ignorant) about this conversation in the first place.

Yeah sure, life as a woman is incredibly easy. We praise trans women only for being incredibly feminine (because it's not like they have an inherent desire to be perceived as women, right? And it's not like we can deconstruct gender stereotypes and help minority groups at the same time, right?). And implying that he might be trans or ace is not labelling or forcing him to identify as such, but go on and exaggerate and dramatize every single shit in the comments. And yeah boy, we ALL DO IT FOR ATTENTION today, don't we? It's just a fashion y'know?

Fuck, reading these comments is extremely disgusting.

this afterword was really interesting. gave me another perspective that I didn't really think about in the past generally and in the context of the author's works.

Users who are viewing this thread