Welcome Back, Alice - Vol. 7 Ch. 40 - Alice

Double-page supporter
Thanks for the translation! Always find Oshimi's endings interesting, and this one's no exception. Think there's a few different ways to interpret it. If you read the author's notes, Youhei is like a stand-in for Oshimi and his past anxieties around 'normal' sexuality and what it means to be a man.

Dex-chan lover
Hmmmm. Presumably, a lot happened between high school and what I presume is post university as shown in this chapter. Yo and Kei couldn't stay together, Kei went... away... aaaaaaaaaaaand whatever, the main story was told and it seems to have resolved about as well as it could have. Ultimately, it was interesting, like all the author's works.

Some of this shit is weird, but Oshimi's quite the mangaka.

Dex-chan lover
Everyone on the Internet knew he would pull out an "Okaeri" for the last page. But seeing it now doesn't make it any less schlocky, cringy, and hilarious. Oshimi, you sir, are a hack. LMAO

Dex-chan lover
Can't believe this wholesome manga came from the same author as chi no wadachi 😂😂

Dex-chan lover
What the fuck happened during the timeskip???

Thanks for translating, it was a fun ride

Dex-chan lover
I will never not be amazed at the linework of this series, it's just so damn good :wooow:
This really was a catharsis art, wasn't it. The main audience of this series was basically Oshimi himself, and we're just given permission to look at it. I don't particularly agree with how Oshimi view certain things within this series, but I do appreciate this series as a whole.

The only thing I couldn't enjoy was this series' comments tbh. Lotta y'all confuse being distasteful as being funny.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Bad ending to a bad manga. Whether this manga came from somewhere personal or just a whim of the author to touch on complicated gender identity issues, it was executed poorly, bordering on offensively so. The bizarre theme of connecting childhood play and sex was just fucked up and I'm amazed the editor didn't tell him to rethink that whole angle. The resolution we get for Mitani is... she's happy? Somewhere, doing something? Her sexuality and coming to terms with womanhood was one of the most compelling plotlines, and it was resolved by Kei giving her a smooch and sending her on her way. If you gave me a $1000 I couldn't tell you what Yo's arc was supposed to be. He was coming to terms with Kei's identity, or questioning his own, or both, he was abandoning manhood but then appears at the end looking totally conventionally male and seemingly entirely unchanged except he's older and happy.

I just don't know what the point of any of this was. I hope someone got something fulfilling out of this manga cuz I certainly didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread