Welcome Back, Alice - Vol. 7 Ch. 40 - Alice

Dex-chan lover
I hope that no matter what path you take in life, you'll always be loved and have a place you're welcome back to.

Thanks, Okaeri Scanlations, for this wild ride.

I hope you would find the joy in things you do and what every time you would get back you would hear お帰りなさい

o/

These last chapters felt phoned in. It gives me the impression the author had finished sharing his piece so no longer needed nor wanted this vehicle anymore, especially after his bluntness in the afterwords. The conclusion just doesn't feel 'right'. Like it came too suddenly in both the pacing of the story and its themes. I mostly enjoyed this manga, just thought it started moving too quickly some time in the sixth volume, maybe. I don't know. I just feel a little let down. Thanks for the translation, it was definitely interesting.

Dex-chan lover
Look I'm not saying this was bad but to me it was one of Oshimi's weaker series. But maybe it's because it had topics I could not quite relate with.

Anyway, thanks to the people working on this.

Christ what a nothing burger ending. I liked it overall but what was the point?

Dex-chan lover
I cried when he said "Welcome home, Alice" and Kei said "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds".

It was a overall fine story, definitely one of the weaker works by Oshimi Shuzo.

Dex-chan lover
Feels like author just lost interest halfway through, or at least went on a "le art" tangent, like most of the other stuff I read from this author.

Dex-chan lover
More than anything, I think this manga is more of the author's diary or autobiography (in a way). So he kinda write it like one, there are ups and downs, crazy moments, intrusive thoughts (maybe Kei is the representation of the author himself). And in the last chapter, he finally found peace, or come to terms with his identity. So a peaceful ending fits perfectly here.

I'm sure this piece will mean something to someone, but I didn't really get a lot out of it and it felt a bit unfocused. It was fine, but I don't believe it to be Shuzo's best work.

Loved the series as a whole, but last several chapters feel lacking substance, like the author got tired and was dragging it to 40 chapters total on close to zero fuel left. I don’t mind the visual vastness of the ‘escape’ chapters (though one chapter would be enough), I think it works as both a hack to rest a bit from drawing regular density pages, and as a fitting artistic choice. The ending, however, is just lazy.

Seems like the author didn’t know what to do for the last chapter as he was finishing the previous one, because this succession doesn’t make sense. We got a timeskip to all of them looking a bit different, Kei with shorter hair and seemingly together with Yo… Then another timeskip with them looking different again?.. And separate? And no sight of Ren and Mitani?

I see no reason for this separation other than slacking from making a regular chapter where you have to give some closure to the characters, write their dialogues, and draw lots of stuff beyond half-page landscapes as a background to “oh you’re no with me”s and “once you’ll be with me”s that add nothing to the story. And not to measure gender(lessness) by the hair length, but since it’s the visual media, and it kinda works that way here… Why is Kei’s hair long again? Wasn’t him transcending his haircut the biggest plot resolution just a chapter ago?

Ok, I’m being mean and I don’t like it. I enjoyed the story, imperfect as it was, and I appreciate how personal and raw it was in exploring its themes. I am nonbinary, and I love to see other people’s accounts (especially artistic ones) on their own journey with gender, when told with the honesty of a diary entry, not checking if you’ve felt everything in a perfectly right way and don’t offend anyone who comes to measure you with a ruler. It sucks the life out of art, and I’m glad the damage is not yet as prominent in Japan.

Thank you for translation!

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
honestly my fave of shuzo's series, thanks so much for the work y'all put into bringing it to us!! :hearts:

looking forward to rereading it in the future and seeing how it flows without breaks

Dex-chan lover
This manga series in a nutshell:

idubbbz-im-gay.gif

Users who are viewing this thread