What are everyone's thoughts on the We Never Learn anime

Dex-chan lover
@May_Lily
Lol this necro, but it usually means in a situation in which there's implied choice; there really wasn't, the person who implied that you had a choice/chance had already rigged the game from the start.

For example, uncle says "choose a hand, the correct one has lollies in it" but in actual fact both hands had lollies in them.

Or the manga author says, "Hey readers, the harem MC has a choice to end up with this girl or that girl but everyone knows that the author perfered one of them from the start"

Contributor
God, that season 2 original ending was hot garbage.
I was rooting for Nariyuki to end up with
Miharu
and they didn't even
include her in the anime
/s

Dex-chan lover
Teddy beat me to it, still.. thanks for answering man.

@May_Lily Yeah basically what Teddy said, but I'll also leave a reply anyway.
It's like you (The Reader) were hoping as the story goes on author going to hear your feedback on who's to ship with whom and maybe will go along with the feedback, but nah.. there's only one ship author already have in mind, and that's probably not the one who you're shipping lol.

Edit:
@justforthelulz hah! that's nice. That being said Nariyuki didn't have that much interaction with Miharu though so it'll be awkward to ship him with her, if he were to ended up with supporting character, I rather it be Sekijo, both have interacted enough times
and both already sleeping together at one point lol.

@Teddy
Lol this necro, but it usually means in a situation in which there's implied choice; there really wasn't, the person who implied that you had a choice/chance had already rigged the game from the start.

For example, uncle says "choose a hand, the correct one has lollies in it" but in actual fact both hands had lollies in them.

Or the manga author says, "Hey readers, the harem MC has a choice to end up with this girl or that girl but everyone knows that the author perfered one of them from the start"

@ABCsOfLife
Yeah basically what Teddy said, but I'll also leave a reply anyway.
It's like you (The Reader) were hoping as the story goes on author going to hear your feedback on who's to ship with whom and maybe will go along with the feedback, but nah.. there's only one ship author already have in mind, and that's probably not the one who you're shipping lol.

Alright! I see where you all are coming from now, and this is something I am familiar with but I would say it's not limited to harem stories. While I can understand people being disappointed by the outcome it's not something I would hold against Taishi Tsutsui, or at least for the most part, but that depends which I would explain in a moment.

While writers can, and should, take advice into consideration whether they decide to adhere to those advice or not is ultimately up to them as it's their story in the end of the day, and with the case with some they had likely outline the direction their story is going to take from the beginning. In fact I read somewhere that writers are like gods of their own stories. This is the case with We Never Learn as it's ultimately Taishi's story that he telling so he can decide who Narayuki ends up with at the end, even if some do not agree with his choice. Although with the said being that Taishi is publishing his work under Shouen Jump , as well as works in the manga industry in general, it means that an editor is also going to have a say as to where the story goes, and I have heard there are cases in which editors tend to exert too much control over the story. I do not know how much control the editor for We Never Learn has on the story, but it's something to consider. I would also add that shipping is a belief fans have developed to a fact, and for this reason writers do not ship their own characters since they have already decided whether their characters would be together or not

Now there is one caveat ( I guess that is the right word to use) with the case of the story Taishi is working on, and this is where I would address the "it depends" I mention earlier. We Never Learn, as you all know, is under the romance genre, and while Taishi has the final say on who Narayuki can be with, he has to justified his decision by means of showing why Narayuki and the bachelorette he pairs him with will make for a good couple, which is a major requirement with writing romance. After all the audience has to be invested in the couple in order to get into the story. Now being that I have not watch We Never Learn since spring of last year I do not know whether this was done well enough in the second season. You all can answer that for me.

I would say that I know there is more to the story pass season 2, so there is a possibility that the bachelorette Narayuki ends up with might change over time.

Dex-chan lover
Nisekoi was not "rigged from the start", it was entirely obvious from the title alone the main pairing was Raku/Chitoge in case you failed to read the oneshoot chapter. Besides this aint a competition something that shippers (who are a blight on the fandom, see the Kylo/Rey twitter nutters) ignore because they dont care, they only care about their ship being OTP at the expense of everything else.

Besides not all harems are rigged from the start (see Ichigo 100%) but of course the author usually have some idea on a ending because they are aware of a possible cancellation, Kaminomi would had a very different ending if it ended before the Goddess Arc, Nisekoi title alone told how it would end and as might you feel bad about the (often stereotypical two dimensional) fictional characters, they are there as part of the ensemble cast to tell a story, if someone says that in Love Hina Keitaro should ended with Motoko I would call then crazy because the story told does not work with such a ending. And that is what matters, I dropped 5Toubun because I got tired of the author playing mind games with the readers (no, I dont give a shite about who the bride is as I would care about who the bride will be) as I still read Kaguya because its funny, not that is a harem (even if I am sure there are shippers on other possible pairings) but then again, harems end when someone is picked or when everyone is picked.

It doesnt matter who Narayuki ends up with because its not about that, its been about their interactions and reducing the story to a competition over what stereotypical two dimensional archtype character *wins* the MC is quite frankly, insulting the writer because in the end all that matters is what character design you like over the rest because deep down, its about who *you* choose and not what works in the context of the story.

Dex-chan lover
@May_Lily
I would say that I know there is more to the story pass season 2, so there is a possibility that the bachelorette Narayuki ends up with might change over time.
Yeah hopefully that is the case for the manga.

@Exile
Well I was.. what's the word.. exaggerating(?) a bit and kind of making a light reference joke but I suppose, thanks for the insight.
Also, the serialization doesn't always goes like in the oneshot, like IIRC in the case of.. oneshot of "Flying Witch" in the oneshot it have romance genre but then as it got serialize the romance genre safe to say.. got thrown out of the window. I mean sure it's pretty good read (opinion may vary) but since I read the oneshot I kind of expecting the serialize version goes as similar as possible as the oneshot, but nah.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly no problem with authors having that specific girl. Plenty of romance manga around with devoted couples (mutual crushes, or one person chasing the other) and I also kinda accept harem mangas having that winning girl. I also realise that authors probs don't care about your feedback on who best girl is Onodera in Nisekoi but its the same with everything, you see a character you like in movies, dramas or anime and you root for them. If they then end up failing from their goals you then feel sorry for them. Its all apart of investing yourself in the manga and enjoying.

For Japanese media its pretty obvious who would win in the end though so for most otakus on the losing side know they are rooting for the underdog and in most cases the underdog is just that... The underdog. So the loser otakus (pun intended) then feel like author did their brother/sister/idol dirty and that the game was unfair though they most likely invested themselves knowing it was unfair.

P.s
In the end, best girl wars are all about the fun of investing yourself into the characters and wishing the best for them; having enemy factions just increases the fun.

P.s.s
A good lesson in love, "Is it really love, if you don't care more about them than yourself" If not why do people lewd their anime crushes?

Edit: just dropping a link to a story on how to make the author ship 3D you and a 2D heroine together

Wow! 😲That person must have really like that character to send all those voted to get her rank at the top, but would that consider not to be fair what the person did?

The colour scheme makes it unenjoyable. The characters' hair look like plastic too with the shiny white patch. Biggest gripe for me is their ears. Absolutely horrible ears drawing. As for the story itself, really mediocre but that's the manga's source issue as well. The manga itself only pick up the story in certain arcs, but 70% of the time it's just fanservice fillers. The longer the manga goes the worse it is than Nisekoi. At least Nisekoi had more plot on the romance part from 100 chapters in.

Users who are viewing this thread