What REAL literature are you reading now?

Dex-chan lover
The Lost City of Monkey God. such a fun read about exploration, akin to Indiana Jones style.

A series of plays by Anton Chekhov. Still reading the forward but will start with Ivanov. Been reading too much non-fiction psychology lately and need some distraction.

Dex-chan lover
So last year I rounded things off with being more or less forced to listen to the audiobook of the sword of truth...
I am both disturbed deeply, and disappointed in fantasy.
But, I've started new year, with the classic refreshers! The Hobbit for one, since I bought the new edition from last year this year! And next will be the Lord of the Rings!

Dex-chan lover
the name alone kinda deters me from reading it already lmao. Celcius masterrace. Why not Celcius 232?
I believe that is a code name by INTERNAL Spies ( yes Federal Spies ) in US when they bombed World Trade Center. Like which floor to put the F-grade explosives. Thus Fahrenheit 451.

Dex-chan lover
I am now reading Dante's Inferno after having a bad aftertaste with the Inferno movie.

Group Leader
Concise dictionary of quotations. Although not exactly what you can directly qualify as literature, there are way too many useful quotes from many literature writers to be neglected. For example, the first quote that I still memorize is Oderint dum metuant, meaning Let them hate so long as they fear by... um

Ah well, time to reread the book again I suppose

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Revolutionary spring; Fighting for a new world 1848-49 by Christopher Clark. I may soon take a break to finish Solaris by Stanislaw Lem, though.

Group Leader
Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. It was horrible sh!te like the "Emergence" of Shindo L.

Those are torture n poen both.
yeah I read it when I was in college. it's still one of the few books that I will never forget.

The book i'm reading atm is ''12 rules for life''. Although I haven't been continuing it since the beginning of my exams.

I was on a Pynchon bent for a while but had to take a break. Been going through William Faulkner book-by-book now -- almost finished Absalom, Absalom after having read The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying. All books are beautiful in their own rights; I don't know what I'd recommend for a "first text" of his. Crafting an effective research paper demands meticulous planning https://enhelp.org/blog/research-paper-structure Begin with a clear and concise introduction that outlines the research question and its significance. A well-defined methodology section, detailing your approach, is crucial. Organize findings logically, supported by accurate data and thoughtful analysis. Ensure a coherent flow by linking each section seamlessly. Discussion should interpret results, addressing limitations and proposing avenues for future research. Lastly, a strong conclusion should summarize key findings and reiterate the paper's importance. Throughout, maintain clarity through concise language, adhere to citation guidelines, and solicit feedback for continuous improvement. These elements collectively shape a robust and impactful research paper.
I'm currently reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, and I think it's one of the greatest works of real literature ever written. It's not just a historical novel, but a profound exploration of human nature, morality, politics, and spirituality. The characters are so realistic and complex, and the plot is so engaging and epic. I love how Tolstoy depicts the different aspects of life in Russia during the Napoleonic wars, and how he shows the impact of war on individuals and society. I think this book is a masterpiece that everyone should read at least once in their life.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Crime and Punishment, it's one of the best works I've read. This is the first work of Fyodor Dostoevsky that I'm reading, I can see why he is so loved. Rodion Romanovitch is such a well written character and the way he is written baffles me. Though, I'm not going to give any strong opinion on the book until I finish reading the book.

Group Leader
I'm about halfway through Hummingbird Salamander by deJeff Vandermeer, and it's one hell of a wild, entertaining ride. Can't recommend it enough, especially if ecology and climate change are themes you like in fiction.

Before that, the last books I read (which I can remember off of the top of head without checking my Goodreads) were:

Yoko Ogawa - The Memory Police
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment (took me about a year, off and on)
Kenzaburo Ōe - The Changeling
Yasunari Kawabata - The Old Capital
Junichiro Tanizaki - The Key
Yukio Mishima - The Sea of Fertility (Omnibus)
Yukio Mishima - The Mask
Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go
Kazuo Ishiguro - The Remains Of The Day

I can't recommend these enough, though Crime and Punishment is heavy as hell, so steel your heart if you plan on taking that one on.

I read a lot of sci-fi too, in between traditional lit (as a palate cleanser) so I'll drop some of that here in case anybody's interested:

Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space Tetralogy
Arkady Martine - Imperial Radch Series
Yoon Ha Lee - Ninefox Gambit
Jeff Vandermeer - Southern Reach Trilogy

Lastly, next up on my queue for literature to read is:

Natsuo Kirino - Real World
Haruki Murakami - IQ84
Kafu Nagai - American Stories
Haruki Murakami - Underground

Please note that all Japanese authors listed here have had their names presented Western-style, with their given names first, and family names second.

If anyone has questions or recommendations for books (sci-fi or trad literature) or authors they think I should check out next, please don't hesitate to message me or reply to this! You can get ahold of me on Discord, too.

Sorry for the super long comment, feel free to tl:Dr this.

Group Leader
Crime and Punishment, it's one of the best works I've read. This is the first work of Fyodor Dostoevsky that I'm reading, I can see why he is so loved. Rodion Romanovitch is such a well written character and the way he is written baffles me. Though, I'm not going to give any strong opinion on the book until I finish reading the book.

Dang, I totally missed your comment on my first skim of this thread!

I read The Brothers Karamazov in my first of uni, and it completely blew my mind. The richness and painstaking complexity packed into everything from the setting to the characters stunned me, and as the story developed, those things were just layered upon themselves in an almost effortless way. Before that, I largely had no interest in Western literature, but it couldn't have paid bare how shallow my pretentions were in a more humbling way.

For the next work by Dostoyevsky you read, I can't recommend it enough, and it at any point you worry it'll be too similar to Crime and Punishment, it will lay your doubts to rest by the end of the first chapter. (It's what I thought, just swapping the order of reading.)

Anyway, I mostly meant to talk about Crime and Punishment here, but for me, it's literally so good of a book, it's hard to discuss. How many superlative positive things can you even say about a novel before it just sounds trite and superficial, y'know? That said, I couldn't agree with what you wrote more, and I think you'll find that towards the end of the novel, as events begin to overtake Rodion and grow in almost comical proportion to the personal nature of his violent transgression, that you could never have predicted where things end up. I certainly did!

I've already said way, way too much, so feel free to ignore this completely, I promise I'll understand. But if you want to discuss the book more here or on Discord, please don't hesitate to hit me up!

And regardless of anything else, I truly hope you enjoy this novel of towering intellect and emotional honesty. It's not an easy read, but still a profoundly rewarding one, nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread