What was the last thing that made you drop a series (for whatever reason)?

Lack of character progression. Mostly thats the reason I drop most of the mangas I start reading.

I forgot the name of the anime cause it's been years but I'm pretty sure I dropped it because there was more fanservice in the show than there is oxygen to breathe and I don't even understand why. It was just supposed to be another anime about a dude who had no parents and was bullied then all of a sudden he became strong but then out of nowhere, pantie shots left and right, guys falling into some random persons boobs, girls everywhere and almost next to garbage animation, there was nothing really keeping me from dropping the anime faster than the speed of sound. I regret nothing. (I forgot to add this but) don't misunderstand I'm completely fine with fanservice I mean when you need money you need it but sometimes when you add too much it just starts to seem like they ran out of ideas on what to do with the story so they throw in a random attempt to get a person who shows emotion once every month turned on, which might I tell you, does not work.

I drop an anime because there was a scene when boyxboy kiss like bananafish
Seriously i think it was disgusting and i think since am start watch anime am really hate anime fantasy with genre Harem, for me it was weird if a guy protected by a girl
(Sorry for bad English it wasn't my mother tongue)

Dex-chan lover
When any long haired female characters cut her hair short without any good reason.

Fed-Kun's army
I dropped all anime like two years ago and stuck to only manga the only anime)s I think I have kind of completed are AoT I finished season two and stopped and the great pretender I reached like the sixth episode and then stopped too. I was supposed to complete them but never got to do so because I was lazy. And since then I've been reading whatever when bored and then dropping it when I see it in my follows and think to myself what made me pick this up? but when I like something I tend to finish it in one to three sittings staying up to 6am to not sleeping at all to finish it if I like it so I rarely drop anything other than the usual garbage manga

Highkey stopped watching any and all anime after Overlord, tbh - that and seeing One Piece all over the place just made me turn away from animations in general. I did watch One-Punch Man, but then you see what happened with season 2's animations... 😓
All in all, manga is usually farther ahead and has much more to it than say, half of it being cut out for any adaptations. But I'm biased and jaded against anime due to things like bad dubs or overly cringy moments.

Incidentally, I've just gone on a dropping spree continuing up to now. So far, this week I dropped:

Murabito Desu ga Nani Ka - Well, pretty much for the same reasons I listed here: unnecessarily complex, poor storytelling, horrible character development. Finally got around to bookmarking Kumo desu ga instead.

Shield Hero - terrible progression, downright annoying characters, lack of creative use of powers along with the stale, overused tropes by an uninteresting lead, and the nail to the coffin, a dreadfully dragged out grudge with no real significant impact to anything other than the MCs perspective of fairness.

One Piece - this one's a while back--think years ago--but I feel like I need to put it out here for closure's sake lol needed to do thesis. by the time i got the time again, i missed like close to 40+ chapters. Dropped it. The characters don't change personalities much, if they even do anyway. That was made clear to me when Zoro tried to get Mihawk to be his mentor and again when Ace died. Sure, some of the dynamics change, but their core values stay the same so you can pretty much guess what they'll try to do when confronted with a situation. They only ever just get stronger. I was in it for the powers and the fights. Not really interested in one piece, the treasure, since they hint so little of it it felt more like a plot device rather than being the core plot so the allure of mystery was lost to me. I could be wrong since I stopped reading it and all, but eh. I'm already hundreds of chapters behind.

How I Came To Like My Male Friend - it's not funny, imo, even when the premise sounds like it would be.

The Justice of a Villainous Woman - listed the reasons here. Gist of what I wrote is that it got progressively got worse in every aspect to the point that it was generous of me to even give it a rating of 3/10.

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka - about to at least. It's getting really boring. He's already practically gotten the entire continent on his side. He's just gonna introduce modern concepts and technologies for them. Things I'd do better off searching online and others that is theoretically a good idea unless someone messes up, which would never seem to happen.

Parallel Paradise - I admit, I originally went for this for post-clarity's sake, but got intrigued by the mystery. Over time though, the dude just became a living date-rape drug and I was starting to get pissed off at how he tackled problems. He got progressively more arrogant when in essence, him being there caused more problems than he'd solved. But having already switched perspectives on it, I couldn't use it as material anymore either. Completely lost interest.

Kanojo, Okarishimasu - While I don't particularly mind beta MLs, this guy's just terrible and annoying. I kinda feel sorry for the girl with how much of an ass this guy is. I suppose he eventually gets better, but I just couldn't tolerate him anymore and dropped it.

Gleipnir - the translations and the uploads got janky for a while and I couldn't take it. By the time I was told there were better ones out, my depression'd already kicked me in the gutter. Supposedly, I can't handle darker themes anymore so I dropped it along with others at my doc's advice.

The Twin Siblings’ New Life - same reason as gleipnir. Story progression's just gotten too janky for me, too, that I can't take it anymore.

Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha - it's just not my cup of tea. I find the MC uninteresting. I got a few smirks here and there, but eh.

Saving 80,000 Gold Coins in the Different World for My Old Age - I was in it for how she'd develop her relationships with the people in the otherworld. I already had low expectations about how she goes about being smart and all that, but then it shifted focus from her relationships between the 2 worlds to how she's exploiting both worlds because everyone there is apparently incompetent. Including the MC. Which is weird because she's supposed to be smart, and at first she was. Then I guess the author didn't know how to outdo the last thing. Kinda went all over the place and pulled a murabito desu ga on me.

A-Rank Boukensha no Slow Life - it's lackluster. not my cup of tea. kinda boring.

Boruto - I can't. Everything about it's starting to annoy me. I already had problems with Naruto but this one tried to one-up it. It feels like a waste. Maybe I've been spoiled by Basilisk.

Dragon Ball Super - I'm glad their trying out new things, but I really don't like how things are going for the rest of the cast. I don't find Frieza to be a compelling villain, let alone as an ally. It's nice that Goku's back on the whole "I wanna be the very best" train again, but it seems like the story focuses more on transformations than actual technique. I thought Ultra Instinct was a technique not a form, but they're practically treating it like a form. There are no new techniques, everyone just go "haha, brrrr" and then poof! New enemy. The only thing that kept me going before dropping it were the tidbits of their mundane lives. I personally would enjoy Gohan's school arc pre-cell and similar events, and I think would even prefer it over ToP and the black goku arc. The series now looks like a glorified lightshow to me.

One Punch Man S2 anime - the transition between scenes felt off, the fight scenes lack any oomph to them and the jokes were awfully rendered.

Charlotte and Her 5 Disciples - it stopped being cutely humorous, i'm not invested in any of the characters, and none of them gives off any feeling of command despite supposedly being the best of the best.

In Another World With My Smartphone - the poor use of his powers turned me off and his ladies show no real promise of being anything other than eye candy.

Kenja no Mago - ah this one takes the cake for having triggered me the most, mostly because it is the quintessential example of what I dislike about most fantasy isekais. It's not like none of them are incapable of what he's doing. They just "never thought of it". The worst part is that even the MC isn't even that smart. He just replaces all the complexities of science with magic and it miraculously works.

This manga had an entire world be completely and utterly dim that they are oblivious even to the basic operations of the magic they themselves use. You can't tell me they don't know. They clearly do since that's how you're supposed to invoke magic, and they even describe to shin what he's currently doing as they observe his magic manifest which means they have words for it, too, and being able to directly translate an observed phenomena into language means that it's a concept you're already familiar with begin with. If the only requirement is being able to picture it in your head, then having a word for it means you can already do more than just imagine it.

Example, his boots literally just says air jet. No other mechanism of propulsion at all. If any of them just thought to add "spring", "push", "fly", "surge" while imagining the effect, they could achieve this just as easily. Language itself is not important but your mental image of the effect as you engrave it is. Literally write a line to save on runes and it's all still well and dandy. So how would you improve the sword relying only on that world's knowledge? Walk up to a blacksmith, ask what makes a sword sharp, engrave "sharp" with you imagining cutting smoothly and voila, an immensely simple yet infinitely more effective sword without need for our "modern, sophisticated" knowledge. Again, I don't mind unreasonable OP MCs, but i find writers needing to dumb down the rest of the world for the MC to shine unenjoyable.

i don't usually drop shows once i've started them, since for anime i ask around a lot about the series i want to watch, and i've become good at differentiating between what i would like and what i wouldn't. but sometimes, life just becomes so busy that i kinda just drop a series unintentionally. the last time that happened was tower of god, which i'm not sure if i should continue or not since i've kinda already lost interest in it.

but for manga or manhwa, i just click on anything that catches my eye. i don't really remember their names, but most of the ones i've dropped were just because of the characters. i focus more on the characters than anything else in the story, so if i dislike the main characters i'll drop the series immediately. yes, maybe the main characters will go through a character growth arc. however, if they're so horrible that i don't even want to root for their growth in the first place, i don't feel like there's any reason to continue the series. another pet peeve of mine is cheap drama. it's connected in a way to the characters, because cheap drama will only happen if the authors didn't bother to develop their characters properly. by the third time, the ml getting jealous of the fl's male friends is just plain annoying, because all of this can be solved by yk, proper communication.

so tl;dr, bad character development and cheap drama suck, and also i wish i had more time to finish series and not just forget about them because of my workload.

When it comes to Anime, I will usually drop it if it involves unbelievably horrible CG and they cut out the meat and potatoes that was in the manga just so they can fit 12 episodes in.
For manga, it usually just takes a slow story build up.

Dex-chan lover
Land of Leadale. At first I was enjoying the slice of life in a fantasy world stuff, enjoyed a bit of action here and there. Then we get a villain. You see MC is a woman transported into the world of a video game when she died, turns out she's not the only one. This person is, instead, using his powers to enslave and murder left and right. The point where I dropped the series is when the MC wanted to kill him. Why?

Well here's the kicker. The villain doesn't think any of this is real and he's a 14-15 year old kid, MC tries to tell him the world is real but he doesn't believe her, he thinks it's just a really good VR game. All he's talking about is the program and how it doesn't matter what he's doing because they don't feel anything anyway. Then he feels pain and the whole weight of what he's been doing dawns on him and he starts to break down and cry as he realizes he's about to die for real. He is begging and pleading for mercy because he legitimately thought it was just a video game, she doesn't care. She wants to kill him and goes on and on about how that's just how it is. Thankfully someone stops her and he's just "arrested" for now but that really put me off.

This is a total 180 from the character we've been coming to know. She was shown to be intelligent, kind, merciful and fun. But that all vanishes when this guy shows up. Yes, the kid did terrible, horrible things but even he realized that when he learned it was real. We see his reaction, we see him starting to realize the monster he's been. He wasn't a villain. He was a kid playing GTA.

He wasn't innocent but he was still a victim of the whole thing, as she is THE FIRST and ONLY other player he's come across. Some people are like "Oh look she didn't forgive him, so interesting!" but I couldn't. It's not even forgiveness being the issue. It's that she straight up knew it wouldn't be right to off someone who is a victim of circumstance and was going to do it anyway because he might be a threat. The child who feels guilt and is crying his eyes out, might somehow think to himself "Alright time to murder again"? Get off it you homicidal git.

Maybe this was shown so we could be like "Oh she's serious" but all it did was make me thing "This woman is a immoral monster" the kid gets somewhat of a pass because he didn't know a thing. He thought it was a game. She's a grown woman about to kill him with full knowledge of his situation and how old he is. She went from friendly protagonist to absolute wretch in the fraction of a second and I could not for the life of me continue with a character whose motivations just flip like that.

Dex-chan lover
I rarely watch anime, but last stuff that i just dropped is 2 :
Arifureta : they skipping a whole arc at the beginning iirc, CGI kind of weird also
Kumoko : the anime added her classmates story too, don't eant to get spoiled so i dropped it

Dex-chan lover
Overlord, once I realized what a hollow shell of everything it was. Lot of flash and bang and pretty colors and saturday morning cartoon villain casts, and everything is as shallow as a kiddy pool. No one on Ainz's side has any proper motivation for doing anything, the world is utterly craptastic, and the MC is an ultimate Mary Sue where everyone he cares about is literally programmed to love him. Why more people don't recognize it for the garbage fire that it is, I believe is mostly due to presentation. And heck, it fooled me at first, but as I got into season three I began to realize what it was and began to fervently wish for Alucard to eat the entire main cast, so I decided to drop it.

Dex-chan lover
Can't remember which one exactly I dropped last, but the reasons are usually as follows:
  • False Underdogs (I.E. Every of those damned "I was rated F while actually being an effortless SSS guy who plays in the lower tiers while not belonging there" fuckers)
  • Unintentionally really disgusting MC's(I like disgusting characters, but these fuckers do that while being presented as morally right, which is verily appaling. If you want to be a bad guy, own the fact!)
  • Humanity bad, not humanity good(No, you aren't doing a good deconstruction of the standard fantasy, you are merely changing the skins while showing off that you are a misanthropic sack of crap who'se only real connection to other humans are reddit and twitter, or whatever the equivalent your country has of those sites)
  • Mangas that do not commit (I can certainly enjoy an edgefest, but unless the story actually has always been to grow out of the edgefest from the start, you do not suddenly pull the edgy rug, switch genres halfway through and pretend like it was always the plan.)
  • Honestly, 99% of what the Chinese produce (Seriously, how in tarnation does a country produce 99% garbage?)

Double-page supporter
Quintessential Quintuplets I was reading the manga and watching the anime and I thought the jokes in the anime would hold up but once I read the ending, a lot of the anime jokes don’t hold up knowing the true ending. Also some of the plot elements feel boring. I read and watch a lot of series like this (including rom coms) so it was surprising to me. Anyway I dropped it after a couple episodes of season 2

Power Uploader
I drop a lot of isekai manga & anime, like a hundred of them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread