What you need to know about the recent MangaDex data breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for your hard work, MangaDex team! It's amazing how much you're doing for us and providing us (ad)free. I can't live without you!

Can confirm that using Bitwarden is easy, safe, and a great security detail to have online.

Dex-chan lover
So that's why I've been having that prickling feeling about changing my passwords soon for the past couple days! So far my sixth sense wasn't useful for anything except cheating on exams, lol.

Fun fact: While changing my passwords on Ubisoft I've noticed somebody for the past two months tried to login from Kuwait and Taiwan only to find out I use double authenticationšŸ˜‚. Probably it has no connection to MD because my email was leaked a few times before, lol.

Dex-chan lover
Hombre, rather, it seems to me that he is a hacker hired by the well-known copyright institutions to bring down the page.

Ah damn I'm cursed with these data breaches honestly, guess that's what i get for not keeping track of my logins. Good thing is that i don't have personal info attached to this mail so worst thing i can get is some spam.
Hopefully in the future there would be some option for opting out of tracking H history tracking if that's possible i think that's a basic thing if you want to host that kind of content here seeing as that's everybody's biggest concern beside that hombre meme. Good job on being transparent with this stuff and expect more of it if you suspect you were targeted by aggregators or copyright company especially in the near future.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Zeroisloco We're dealing with trying to get emails properly sent out to a couple thousand people who are having issues right now. After we properly get through them so people can make resets and changes, we'll work on implementing the delete feature.

@tonie somebody tried to get into my patreon account before, too bad for them I make zero money from it I had 2FA enabled

Hi guys, the post mentioned that our email are not fine. In what way is it not fine? how can our emails be used? thank you for any explanation.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Dsel887 Your emails could be put on a spam list, though most email services filter that out by default. If your emails were part of any breaches in the past (check here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/ ), they could connect the unsecured passwords from these older breaches to possibly guess what your current password is. That's why it's never a good idea to re-use passwords

Group Leader
@Dsel887
They'll send lots of spam emails to you. If you put your personal information in your email, they may also have that information as well.

In my case, despite having 10 other disposable emails. I always use my main email in any sites that I deemed necessary WITH THE FUCKING SAME PASSWORD. I'm a bit fucked up in the head. Don't be like me.

Well, that's the past. Now I use unique password for each websites.
Strangely enough, my other 10 emails never got pwned despite using them in much more shady websites.

Dex-chan lover
@Plykiya So it's basically just like my Ubisoft account which basically has no games on it, just some free ones xD

@Dsel887 If you have account on gmail then don't worry about spam. Google has so pretty good spam filters so that I've never seen in my received anything that I didn't subscribe to myself and after a couple years they get bored of spamming. Hovewer it's always important to read who the message is from and if you don't know the sender, always play it safe.

PS: I want 10k BTC myself... who wouldn't?

@Plykiya

There a lot of older chapters from Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu that are missing. I guess they must have been deleted by the hacker, so are there anyway for restoring the missing chapters? or Can anyone re-upload the missing chapters?

is a Reindeer
VIP
@gundam920 The group themselves chose to remove the earlier chapters because those are licensed officially in English. Nothing to do with any haxxors

Thanks for getting this all back up guys! I don't understand the need to bash the devs at this point. I mean just look up your email addresses on the pwned website and you'll see everyone has gotten breached more than once. Everyone is up in arms trying to give suggestions and for some just effing criticism. We are on a hobbyist site for illegal scans......wtf would try to get them to go to a higher standard? We aren't a bank or anything legit. I love this site and you guys have earned brownie points for even TELLING us. You could have just lied and moved on but you didn't. So everyone calm your tits and let's be excited they are up and running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread