What's [i]the[/i] best romance story you've ever read?

Double-page supporter
I'll leave the definition of "best" up to you, it can be either a series or a oneshot. In my case it's a tough choice, but I might go with Dengeki Daisy!

Group Leader
For me it'll be:

1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War
2. Machida-kun no Sekai
3. You Lie in April <- just ignore this one

Love is war probably will be the best romcom for this century!

Double-page supporter
@sastrathebest hahaha, yeah, Kaguya-sama is one of the funniest ongoing rom-coms, it never disappoints.
Even though romance isn't the main topic in Machida-kun no Sekai, it's really sweet and realistic. Your lie in April is another great series, even when usually I'm not a fan of series that make you cry so badly haha.

Dex-chan lover
Probably Ookami Shounen. I really like how communicative everyone is in it, and how it manages to stay saccharine sweet without overstaying its welcome.

Then again I don't think I'm a big fan of romance as a genre. I really like it in most series, and there's plenty of romances I love to read, but those series rarely focus just on said relationship. I especially dislike overly sappy or dramatic romance, which is often the case if a series doesn't have much else going for it and starts to drag.

Double-page supporter
@PantsMan interesting choice. It's indeed a good series, and the characters and situations are well-handled. Contrary to many others, I don't usually like it when
the first girl doesn't "win", as they say
, but I enjoyed it anyway in this case.
I also agree that it's hard to find a good story that only focuses on romance without getting too dramatic or stale, and even though I used to love sappy shoujo series, I've been growing out of it in the last years (which I guess is mostly natural).

Dex-chan lover
It's not the best but, I do really enjoy the romance happening in Working!! series.

Edit:
Wait no, I guess the fact that it's the first thing comes to my mind.. I guess it is the best (for me anyway).

Toradora.... though I watched that....

The Reason Why Raeliana Ended up at the Duke's Mansion
Currently reading. Has official english translations. Reincarnated as a doomed to die side character who is not a villainess (at least, not originally). In a fight for her life, she contracts the male lead as her fake/official fiance.

Kimi no Iru Machi
The only romance I read to completion thus far. Brutal and emotional one with an MC that grows over the years

Anything that has a progressing relationship and explores troubles within a relationship.

There's this one I've read couple months ago. It's NSFW though, but it does explore the troubles of a married couple. They had trouble communicating, their marriage was rushed, they had an unplanned child, the woman didn't get to achieve her dreams, the man is really stressed out at his work and when he gets home, he's fighting with his wife, etc. Don't worry about NTR. There's a bit, but it's not the focus of the series. It's Korean though.
Do It One More Time

This one's genderbender, but it probably has more fluff than most normal stuff I've read. I really like how their relationship progressed from being best friends to lovers
to getting married, having a child
The thing I like here is miscommunication and misunderstanding between the couple, and how they try to patch things up.
Kanojo ni Naru Hi

There's some extras I don't like though, like the
five-year time skip and the kidnapping. It was unnecessary to the progress of the story. The author could have motivated the MC in a different way, but instead he introduced a five-year timeskip with the FMC stuck in a hospital. There's also the kidnapping part which didn't really add anything. I think the artist wanted to add tension to the story before s/he ends it, but I consider it to be a flop.
There's not much I could say about the sequel though. It was a good addition to the story, but it's almost the same thing all over again that
it's no wonder the artist placed a huge time gap at the end of the sequel.

I've also been into cohabitation stories recently.
Gokushufudou
Fechippuru
Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini

I also like Yoshida Motoi's works. The second one is a bit heartwrenching for me, but it's a good read. There's a pre-sequel (??) too.
Kannou Sensei
Natsu no Zenjitsu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@sastrathebest I think Your Lie in April is something you only recommend to masochists.
@PantsMan Good read. I totally forgot about that series.

Edit: Links

VIP
Ones I like:
- 14-sai no Koi: One thing I like about this series is that the main couple are basically already together and they're fairly open with each other. But there are lots of other fun side ships too, like the edgy teacher x student ship, the unrequited yuri ship...
- Mikako-san: Very calming and relaxing full colour story with lots of very neat visual metaphors and a soft watercolour art style.
- Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep: Cute, a bit angsty, wholesome end.
- Poor Poor Lips: 4-koma, but there's an actual overarching plot!
- Yuunagi Marbled: MC dodges drama misunderstanding tropes like a boss
- Mizuiro Cinema: Cute yuri friends meet

One that's quite popular but still should be mentioned is Molester Man https://mangadex.org/title/7471/molester-man

It is like the antithesis of a romance manga yet it is so perfect
Drama is nice and not overbearing and the romance is sweet

Artstyle may not be to normal taste but it definitely fits the rough aesthetic the manga was going for.
Genuinely one of my favourite manga of all time.

Double-page supporter
@plonz I was reading that one just recently haha, actually, thanks for reminding me I gotta finish that one, I really liked both the alternative story and Onani Master Kurosawa by the same artist after all!

Double-page supporter
@sterven Wow, Berserk's been on my plan-to-read list for quite a while, and I didn't even know it had any romance in it... This might make it even more interesting!

as a shoujo fan, i should have lots to recommend but, i don't quite remember now, especially the best
i think i should say those are mine

1. Fruits basket(well, i think the manga as a hole was one of the best for me)
2. Kare kano (a classic, it has also fun and edgy scenes)
3. Mars(i think the manga fashion is so close to the current fashion trends :lol:)
4.Tsubaki no Lonely planet (calm and you can see how the children all grow, i think it's pretty realistic compared to others)
5. W-Julliet ( there sure are some couple-goals moments there)

most are rather old now, but whatever, now it's isekai for the win! 🤣

Dex-chan lover
@sastrathebest
I wouldn't call it a love triangle since Griffith doesn't have any love for Casca or Guts. A more fitting term would be possessiveness hence his line of "you want to leave from my grasp" when Guts tells him hes leaving the band of the hawk, and him offering the whole band (except Rickert cause he lucked out) as a sacrifice during the eclipse. As for Casca's emotions towards Griffith its simply worship confused for love, but she realized her true feelings she makes a point of this by proclaiming shes going to be his sword. Then you have the whole spew as to how she tried to stop Guts from leaving, then showing concern over him time and again, and finally it culminates into her and Guts spewing their guts out to one another as to how their lives where fucked up blah blah blah they kiss have sex and they almost leave together.

Dex-chan lover
@Nightlilygirl-
Do take note that the romance portion of the story is not heavily showcased (by that I mean he won't be telling her I love you every other chapter) but it is heavily emphasized. As the good old saying goes actions speak louder than words.

Double-page supporter
@sterven yeah, I figured since the whole story didn't give me that vibe after all. Still interesting to know nonetheless!

Users who are viewing this thread