What's with the hatred against scuffed tls? Explain yourselves newfriends

reu

Dex-chan lover
I'm tired of seeing this kind of nonsense in the comments.
With the amount of tls that get dropped and forgotten how can anyone shit on any tler's free and selfless contribution to the community?
I started reading manga in 2009 and at the time pretty much every tl had either shit raws, no cleaning, a bad case of google translate, ESL or, more likelly, a combination of the above.
It's understandble to smack back if they're shitposting on the creddits or to harry a group if there's already a active quality tl and they are starting drama by wasting their time re-doing work instead of tling something else they like, but what possesses newfriends to harass individuals or small groups that donate their time and effort even if it's just to post a barely readable mtl?

tldr: shitting on tlers for no good reason should be a bannable offense
edit: I mean it's already against the rules, I got a 3 day ban for telling some dude to toss his dick in a garbage can
If you call a tler a lobotomite just because you don't like his work, you should get the same kind of timeout/ban

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
What's going on here?
On second thought don't tell me,
I'd rather not know.

Group Leader
Because it wastes our time as readers too; because we like the story and we want to understand it; because some people ask for money despite their work not being worth a single cent; because some of us are also doing the same thing — that is, spending time to translate — with the goal of providing quality results and don't like seeing people encouraging low effort works in comment sections, usually with the excuse of "it's better than nothing".

Just some reasons I thought on the spot.
Also disclaimer: I'm ESL.

Double-page supporter
My sweet, retarded child. When'll you learn that doing something half-assed is worse than not doing it at all?

Pack your shit and go back to North Korea, Kim.

• Dumb
Reactions: reu
Dex-chan lover
I'm sure you actually would mind TL-quality if each semi-serious series you tried reading had Duwang tier abomination TLs to go with it...

reu

Dex-chan lover
My sweet, retarded child. When'll you learn that doing something half-assed is worse than not doing it at all?
People have to start somewhere, the first few(thousand) pages I cleaned were shit.
If you crush every newbie you eventually won't have any veteran tlers
Pack your shit and go back to North Korea, Kim.
You call yourself Justice 88... And you use fascist as an insult? pfpicrel
wtf mein duden?

Last edited:

reu

Dex-chan lover
I'm sure you actually would mind TL-quality if each semi-serious series you tried reading had Duwang tier abomination TLs to go with it...
I've been reading manga since '09. I'm immune to ingrish
My powers are beyond your imagination
I've read whole novels straight from syosetu using google translate

Double-page supporter
People have to start somewhere, the first few(thousand) pages I cleaned were shit.
If you crush every newbie you eventually won't have any veteran tlers

You call yourself Justice 88... And you use fascist as an insult? pfpicrel
wtf mien duden?
https://killbill.fandom.com/wiki/Crazy_88

This is a chinese romance novel website, not fox news. 88 is special in both Christian, chinese and japanese culture.

reu

Dex-chan lover
This is a chinese romance novel website, not fox news. 88 is special in both Christian, chinese and japanese culture.
uh uh... and your profile pic? Do you just really like the Hugo Boss a e s t h e t i c?
In this day and age, everyone and their grandmother is a fascist for their team, no need to be coy about it:smugnako:

Double-page supporter
uh uh... and your profile pic? Do you just really like the Hugo Boss a e s t h e t i c?
In this day and age, everyone and their grandmother is a fascist for their team, no need to be coy about it:smugnako:
https://chainsaw-man.fandom.com/wiki/Fami
Araki did a one-shot with gucci, maybe fujimoto can collab with hugo boss in future.

Also this is quite off topic, accusing me of being a member of the seven angels is childish and ad hominem. Maybe you should produce some sensible responses to other people in this thread.

reu

Dex-chan lover
seven angels
? No idea what you're on about, feel free to elaborate
off topic
You broached the topic, not I. Not only that but you acused me of being a finkel-thinked fox watcher. That was quite mean of you.
Edit: Also did I somehow make you think I'm a N.american? I seriously need to rethink my life choices if so :shamihuh:

Last edited:

reu

Dex-chan lover
Weeb neo-nazi group
Searched "seven angels nazi" and neither google nor yandex have anything on them
How the fuck did you come across them, fren? :dogkek:
You do know that discord keeps a log of every word you type, right? Don't post anything you wouldn't want a glowie to read

Also, Avantasia's "The Seven Angels" is a pretty darn good song, give it a listen and thanks for the recomendation:salute:
edit: though you might want to skip the minute long intro

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I've been reading manga since '09. I'm immune to ingrish
My powers are beyond your imagination
I've read whole novels straight from syosetu using google translate
Having low standards isn't something to be proud of.
Me, I don't mind bad typesetting at all and I can forgive some bad English. When my brain goes "wait what the fuck did I just read" several times because of how a page was rewritten into English, that's less forgivable.
Shounenshit, Isekaitrash, webcomics, smut and such are fine with scuffed English, because they usually don't say much anyway, but substandard TLs bother me greatly when it's something serious I'm actually interested in.
And I hope there's a noose ready for whoever intentionally mixes in their own fanfiction instead of properly translating what the original said. Those "people" are the worst.

Dex-chan lover
Translation errors bring people out of the flow, they force you to stop reading and figure out exactly what is going on. Imagine if you were watching a movie and every couple of scenes the characters stopped and verbally asked for what line they were supposed to have and had to have it explain to them, and you know it's not part of the overall plot or theme of the movie. It's just something they didn't edit out. You would be either pissed because it ruins the movie or amused because of how bad that decision was. You'd also be right in saying that the people behind it probably shouldn't be doing it if their idea of quality is to allow such a glaring error through.

That's the way it is with translations. If you don't have an editor or quality checker that's at least fluent in the language your translating, probably should be aware you're gonna catch some flak from the native speakers.

It's actually a pretty decent reason, though. It makes it harder to enjoy the story, the thing we are all literally here for. Besides, that's not a quantifiable or justifiable offense. How do you define that from legitimate criticism, which can sometimes be just as scathing? If there is a TL team that consistently produces low quality work would you not be allowed to vent that frustration if they keep touching stuff you enjoy? What if they're doing it intentionally and you can clearly tell that's the case (some groups have done this in the past)? What if they're editing the manga itself? I know one group that is actively censoring it's TLs, not just the text but the actual images themselves.

There's too much to look into and too much that goes on behind the scenes to just throw a blanket "Ban anyone who says something bad about the translators" rule down. That being said, MD isn't exactly the place for people with thin skin, so if you're gonna be translating with subpar quality then you need to be ready for a certain level of backlash.

reu

Dex-chan lover
"Ban anyone who says something bad about the translators" rule down. That being said, MD isn't exactly the place for people with thin skin, so if you're gonna be translating with subpar quality then you need to be ready for a certain level of backlash.
That's not what I posted and you know it.
People have to start somewhere and most scanlators fuck off after 5 to 10 years. If every newbie has hordes of people calling them "lobotomites", "worthless" and whatever snark they come up with in their attempt to fish for internet points pretty soon you're going to have no one willing to do it(other than those who manage to make a living out of it through patreon)

Group Leader
People have to start somewhere
This is not an excuse, or at least not anymore.
When there were fewer way to get feedback (or even learn the source language!) then all people could do was do their best, upload it somewhere popular and hope for the best.
Nowadays, there are a lot of ways to practice before doing something at all, so "having to start somewhere" can (and I say "should") be "go to a chat/forum/other platform and ask for feedback before making it public to the masses".
It can be Reddit, it can be a Discord chat, it can be an imageboard, it can even be this very forum; what matters is that before placing it in the MangaDex catalogue (i.e. the main site) or equivalent, where you will get a lot of criticism in one way or another, you can get plenty of feedback and practice and correct your ways from people that genuinely want to help you.

Dex-chan lover
That's not what I posted and you know it.
1v71xNH.png

Because that is ultimately what you mean, even if you're justifying it for the "newbies" in the scene. Unless you somehow plan to give a grace period for newbies specifically (which would be incredibly difficult to prove considering how Translators jump around), then what you're ultimately saying is that "people saying bad things over bad/imperfect translations should be banned" with that quote.
People have to start somewhere and most scanlators fuck off after 5 to 10 years.
That's not the responsibility of the reader.

If every newbie has hordes of people calling them "lobotomites", "worthless" and whatever snark they come up with in their attempt to fish for internet points pretty soon you're going to have no one willing to do it(other than those who manage to make a living out of it through patreon)
If that were the case then we would've run out by now. Harsh people exist all around the internet, not just here and they have for decades. Especially way back in the wild west of the internet where insults were common just for breathing. If you're going to be releasing something for people to enjoy then lackluster performance is not going to be tolerated and you should expect that whatever shortcomings you have will be called out. You can either take that and improve or you run from it.

You also can't assume every new translator is going to have thin skin and just cry at insults instead of improving. These are, for the most part, grown men and women choosing to do this as a hobby. Just like modders get flak for dumb decisions in their mods regardless of if they're new or not (and oh boy do they) it's something that comes with the territory and you either accept that or move on.

reu

Dex-chan lover
If that were the case then we would've run out by now. Harsh people exist all around the internet, not just here and they have for decades. Especially way back in the wild west of the internet where insults were common just for breathing.
That's my point, no they didn't. When I had time to clean and proofread I never saw this kind of shit. I was 12, kept at it till I was 19, nobody ever treated me like shit even though I barely knew what I was doing
People used to be thankful that internet strangers with no financial incentive at all took time out of their day to do real work contributing to the community, regardless of its quality, had I seen the kind of shit people post these days I wouldn't have kept at it for a month

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread