What's with the hatred against scuffed tls? Explain yourselves newfriends

Dex-chan lover
That's my point, no they didn't. When I had time to clean and proofread I never saw this kind of shit. I was 12, kept at it till I was 19, nobody ever treated me like shit even though I barely knew what I was doing
Congrats for you, very cool! How bad were your translations? Were they legible to where the small mistake here or there didn't break the flow or were they DUWANG levels of quality? Because that's the crux of your original question. Why do people feel the need to get aggressive with low quality translations, even when they're barely readable.

And even if I assumed you lived in a perfect time for the perfect moment and got nothing but praise and help... that's not the standard for everyone past, present or future. Unless you're arguing that every translator out there never saw the same crudeness that characterized the internet of that era and have some proof to back it up, you're asking me to smoke some heavy kush.

People used to be thankful that internet strangers with no financial incentive at all took time out of their day to do real work contributing to the community, regardless of it's quality, had I seen the kind of shit people post these days I wouldn't have kept at it for a month
People are still thankful, the only difference is that people now have standards now because other translation groups have done it better and better over the years. You want to be thanked? Don't give poor-quality translations because people know what a quality TL is now. It's literally one of the reasons people don't like official translations because even if they're official they often give low quality translations and it was even the source of parody back then.

"You may think the dub is mistranslating but the guys who fansub are masturbating" - Little Kuriboh, 14 years ago.

All in all you're asking why people are asking TLs to "Be Better" and get angry. The simple answer is "Because there are better" and they'd rather wait for THEM to do it than have it poorly done by someone who can't stand to par.

reu

Dex-chan lover
People are free to contribute, but they're not automatically entitled to gratitude or to being shielded from criticism for their contributions.
Never said they were, but they should be entitled to being shielded from harassment
I mean it's already against the rules, I got a 3 day ban for telling some dude to toss his dick in a garbage can
If you call a tler a lobotomite just because you don't like his work, you should get the same kind of timeout/ban

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
it looks icky and i don't understand what's going on, so the sensible response is to threaten their family

it is a legitimate accessibility issue though, so i can agree with the sentiment of bashing their poor work, if not the flowery language

Group Leader
At this point im going just to say they are not having a good sight over the one who contributed.

Translator might be still learning or maybe just goofing around.
darjeeling-girls-und-panzer.gif

im pretty sure @Fishman has something to say otherwise
394.jpg

Dex-chan lover
I'm sure you actually would mind TL-quality if each semi-serious series you tried reading had Duwang tier abomination TLs to go with it...
Imagine if an otherwise reputable scanlator just deleted what was perhaps the most critical sentence clause for understanding a major character, in effect pouring gasoline on already contentious and controversial discussion about said character.

Actual harassment is foolish behavior, and the kind of scanlator drama where you baselessly assert the accuracy or inaccuracy of a scanlation is just as foolish, but demonstrably bad scanlations shouldn't be tolerated.

Group Leader
Imagine if an otherwise reputable scanlator just deleted what was perhaps the most critical sentence clause for understanding a major character, in effect pouring gasoline on already contentious and controversial discussion about said character.
In fairness this is true even for official licensed works and in fact, not too long ago there was a scandal about something similar.

Dex-chan lover
In fairness this is true even for official licensed works and in fact, not too long ago there was a scandal about something similar.
That's less an "in fairness" thing and more "from the amateur to the professional scenes, English localization is an increasingly shitty crapshoot".

Group Leader
That's less an "in fairness" thing and more "from the amateur to the professional scenes, English localization is an increasingly shitty crapshoot".
Oh, I don't know anything about official english. I don't live in an anglosaxophone country and digital services are region-locked. I get this kind of news from forums, etc.

The stuff available over here is very well done, at least on the actual contents (logistics is a different matter), so I don't really have any complaints on that matter. My post was merely a notice that "leaving out important lines" can happen anywhere, hence the "in fairness" as amateurs are not the only ones that should take the blame.

Dex-chan lover
I don't have anything new to add really and no offense to the tlers their scans were really good actually but this was some of the most obnoxious things I've ever seen - Stuff like this appeared at some of the most important scenes near the tail end of the manga
image0-15.png
image1.png

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Speaking of someone's mental age being like nine yeah

Dex-chan lover
Whoa I can't believe I'm just now reading this thread how far have I fallen

Power Uploader
  • Because a shitty translation is still an active translation and may deter a better group from picking up the series.
  • Because the TL is just wasting their time and efforts, and needs to be told they'd be better off spending the time on other pursuits.
  • Because readers don't want to waste their time trying to puzzle together the meaning of a shitty translation.
Just because people are starving doesn't mean they should thank you for feeding them garbage. Shitty TLs aren't doing anyone any favors.

Personally, if I see a new group struggling I'll try to provide some candid criticism, though admittedly I could probably do it with a little less snark. I'm much more inclined to be helpful if they recognize their shortfalls and ask for help, especially if they don't give up after the first negative comment.

I have absolutely no sympathy for a group with a shitty TL that still asks for money, or a group that says it's recruiting more TLs but don't think they need a PR, when not having a good PR is obviously their main problem.

Edit: wow, totally didn't notice how old this thread was when I posted...
Edit2: list formatting so @reu won't cry

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
:nyoron: "Be happy of what you get for free" goes both ways. Free criticism is criticism still. And it feels hella addictive to joke about it in the comments.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Never said they were, but they should be entitled to being shielded from harassment
I mean it's already against the rules, I got a 3 day ban for telling some dude to toss his dick in a garbage can
If you call a tler a lobotomite just because you don't like his work, you should get the same kind of timeout/ban
I don't know why I never responded to this

Anyway, I did use the words "shielded from criticism" for a reason. Criticism is obviously not against the rules, but yeah, you're correct that actual harassment would be. Not sure that tossing out an offhand insult necessarily counts as harassment though (especially since that implies repeated and persistent attacks), that'd be case-by-case and up to the moderators (which I'm not).

Also, pretty sure that often timeouts like that have to do with a pattern of behaviour over multiple recent posts rather than a specific word choice in just a single one of them, unless that word choice is let's say particularly objectionable, obviously. Unless you were told those words specifically were the reason you were timed out (and from what I can tell you weren't told that), it probably wasn't just for that.

reu

Dex-chan lover
Not sure that tossing out an offhand insult necessarily counts as harassment though (especially since that implies repeated and persistent attacks), that'd be case-by-case and up to the moderators (which I'm not).
It's been quite a while, so I don't remember who sspecifically I was talking about. But ye, it was a guy that threw out insults like that everytime a tler made a post(calling the tler a lobotomite being the insult that triggered me into making this thread)

Dex-chan lover
I've been reading local language manga since 03 (printed and handstapled with a photocopier, yo) and english scanlations since 08, I'm ESL and translate engrish from multiple languages as part of my day job. I know what scuff is.

These days I mostly read isekaishit and bottom of the barrel manhwa, and I rarely see people shit on scanlators unless (1) it's REALLY unreadable, like worse than english of a 3rd world country citizen who only graduated high school and never went abroad, (2) asking for money/recruiting with pay, (3) both

In cases where the group is just a dude who picked up a series with MTL and no redrawing, more often than not commenters are generally chill if not thankful

Redrawing and translated personality-specific speech is cool and all, but readers generally have a really low bar of just 1 criteria: legible basic english

If asking for just this one thing gets you to call bans, then you may need to graduate high school english first

reu

Dex-chan lover
Because a shitty translation is still an active translation and may deter a better group from picking up the series.

Because the TL is just wasting their time and efforts, and needs to be told they'd be better off spending the time on other pursuits.

Because readers don't want to waste their time trying to puzzle together the meaning of a shitty translation.

Just because people are starving doesn't mean they should thank you for feeding them garbage. Shitty TLs aren't doing anyone any favors.

Personally, if I see a new group struggling I'll try to provide some candid criticism, though admittedly I could probably do it with a little less snark. I'm much more inclined to be helpful if they recognize their shortfalls and ask for help, especially if they don't give up after the first negative comment.

I have absolutely no sympathy for a group with a shitty TL that still asks for money, or a group that says it's recruiting more TLs but don't think they need a PR, when not having a good PR is obviously their main problem.

Edit: wow, totally didn't notice how old this thread was when I posted...
Easy with the reddit spacing, my dude.
It's fine if you want to insert empty newlines between different topics for readability.

But;

If;

You;

Do;

it;

After every sentence, it's not only an eyesore but also it hurts the thread's legibility.
EDIT: that was meant as honest friendly advice, ree:notlikethis:
I'll bonk you too:slap:
Sweet revenge has been achieved

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread