Whisper Me a Love Song - Ch. 50 - A Confession, Confusion, and Sadness.

Dex-chan lover
Am I crazy for not seeing this as incest? She clearly states "No. Even if that were the case...". To me that reads as she's not romantically in love with her
That's the only logical explanation? we get a flashback of a break up and Onee san comes to save her heart.
She gets hurt when she hears that Shiho is now dating her and that she got the wrong idea of them being together FOREVER, she got so hurt she started crying.

And when she question the nature of her love, she panics, sweats and tried to deny it, because she knows is hopeless and she didn't need to think about it until now.

Dex-chan lover
My read of this is that Miki's boyfriend breaking up with her for being too clingy created a fear of abandonment. She clung to Aki in the belief that sisters will always be closer to one another than anyone else, but now that Aki is dating Shiho she's realizing that won't always be the case. I think the grief she's feeling is a reflection of that feeling of abandonment.

I'm not really sure Miki's feelings for Aki are entirely romantic, but it's easy for her to jump to that connection because the specifics of what she wants from Aki - a desire for exclusivity and deep emotional intimacy - overlap a lot with romantic relationships. I have a feeling this arc is mostly going to revolve around exploring that difference.

Supporter
Her sister might just have a honest crush, it may not be some incest plot. Looking forward to the next chapter and thanks so much for the translation. I am so loving this manga

For all the freaking out over supposed incest, this ended up pretty tame. It's more she's afraid of her sister spending less time with her than anything romantic.

Considering Shiho frequently visits the club they'll probably end up meeting next chapter (probably at the end as a cliffhanger). Will be interesting to see how they butt heads since Shiho is definitely not giving up on Aki after all it took to get where they are right now. At the same time she probably needs to be delicate around her lover's sister, which she isn't the best at.

That's the only logical explanation? we get a flashback of a break up and Onee san comes to save her heart.
She gets hurt when she hears that Shiho is now dating her and that she got the wrong idea of them being together FOREVER, she got so hurt she started crying.

And when she question the nature of her love, she panics, sweats and tried to deny it, because she knows is hopeless and she didn't need to think about it until now.
I can't agree that it is the only explanation. I see it as abandonment, and resentment that she won't be there only for herself anymore. To me, its the same feeling as when someone's best friend is getting married, and they are upset that they won't be able to spend the same amount of time together as before. I can see it being somewhat up in the air still, but I still don't think she panicked when she denied there were any romantic feelings for her like it was some sort of denial to herself. Others since this post below are probably articulating this better than I'm able to get across how I see this.

Double-page supporter
That's the only logical explanation?
It's not? The ancient Greeks distinguished between four types of love: Storge (Affection/Family), Philia (Friendship), Eros (Romance) and Agape (Unconditional Love). Note, that even Eros is not necessarily sexual in nature and platonic courtly love is also a form of Eros. Naturally, all four loves overlap and mix to a certain extent. C.S. Lewis wrote a great book explaining and extending the topic.

I'm guessing that Miki is probably experiencing is some form of Storge paired with a bit of (platonic) Eros and a hefty mix of insecurity. Her sister was there for her when she was at her lowest and supported her through that time and from that she built an emotional bond which she has trouble releasing.

To me, its the same feeling as when someone's best friend is getting married, and they are upset that they won't be able to spend the same amount of time together as before.
This

Group Leader
Many people are quick to label this as incest. Complex human emotions cannot be labeled and shelved into the "bad manga" compartment so easily. We see her insecurities from her past breakup, we see the hurt she suffered from being (a little?) clingy, and then we see the consequent dependency attachment she developed for her sister due to that. It's not hard to imagine that she'd feel shaken up when that precious sister of her has found someone special for herself. Younger siblings close to their older ones often feel a little of the possessiveness, similar to best friends who suddenly become the third wheel in a relationship. It's an innocent feeling that's a culmination of a lot of complex emotions. Let's give the girl some time to sort it out in her mind.

Dex-chan lover
I think she panicked by repeating herself and you see her hand sweating and shaking a little, which is the easiest way a manga has to convey the emotion of stress, worry and panic.
Besides, did she even felt the slightest discomfort when her best friend got a girlfriend? (now that someone mentioned that it would be a similar feeling) not at all, she was in fact very happy and supportive so this implies that the emotional bond that she created with her sister is really really strong.
It doesn't have to be romantic, I'll give you that, but you can pretty much say this is a strong case of siscom

Dex-chan lover
My read of this is that Miki's boyfriend breaking up with her for being too clingy created a fear of abandonment. She clung to Aki in the belief that sisters will always be closer to one another than anyone else, but now that Aki is dating Shiho she's realizing that won't always be the case. I think the grief she's feeling is a reflection of that feeling of abandonment.

I'm not really sure Miki's feelings for Aki are entirely romantic, but it's easy for her to jump to that connection because the specifics of what she wants from Aki - a desire for exclusivity and deep emotional intimacy - overlap a lot with romantic relationships. I have a feeling this arc is mostly going to revolve around exploring that difference.
This ^^^
(Also thanks for the chapter!!! Putting this up here so it doesn't get buried underneath my Long Ass Comment)

The complexities about human emotions cannot be so easily fit into one box. Obviously not all people's experiences are the same, but I've had times when peoples I've gotten close with have gotten partners themselves and I'd feel an intense jealousy over it, even wondering if it was due to underlying romantic feelings I wasn't aware about. In hindsight, it wasn't, but that's the thing. In hindsight.

It has something to due with feelings of exclusivity, that you're their closest confidant and alil that. It's the same vise versa; they're your closest confidant so you expect them to always be by your side first and all that. Not being able to monopolize their time for your vulnerability causes a lot of intense, unpleasant emotions to arise.

Like. Due to the dynamics in my family and all that, my brother was the only one who I felt I could rely on and be vulnerable with. When he got a girlfriend, it was weird (understatement) to me that I no longer could reach out to him in the same way because some of his time was focused on another person. I didn't think it was due to any underlying romantic feelings since he's my brother, but the point still stands that this person who I felt comfortable with enough to allow myself to be vulnerable with was suddenly not always going to be there for me in the same way.

Obviously it's ultimately up to the reader's interpretation for how they see this scene, and maybe the extent to which I'm reading between the lines has snowballed into not having connected any dots at all, but that's the beauty of consuming art.

Fed-Kun's army
I definitely didn’t see this angle coming, though I’m not super upset about it. I appreciate the discussions people have had so far, I’m just hoping one of my favorite GL mangas doesn’t devolve into some weird incest shit.

Anyways, I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, PLEASE GIVE ME KAORI AND MARI DEVELOPMENT PLEASE IT WOULD BE SO CUTE

Dex-chan lover
We can cope all we want but this is incest. I'd doubt you guys would think twice about her romantic feelings if the other person is not her sister.
They're just in denial, seen it happen all the time in the yuri fandom,

ik someone is gonna be like, [oh i love this current arc, or like wow I'm loving this development]

deep down they know it's trash and stupid plot

Users who are viewing this thread