Yancha Gal no Anjou-san - Ch. 157 - Anjou-san Wants To Go To An Open Campus

Dex-chan lover
I think Seto's insecurity in this chapter is not the same as it was in previous chapters. Previously it seemed like it was his self-consciousness of his own image and confidence. Now it seems that it's more about insecurity of the future, especially when it seems that Anjou has (in his mind) planned out her future. Because Seto hasn't come to his own decisions for the future, he feels like Anjou is outpacing him, and that future is one without him. But that's just my opinion. Excited to see the development, love these two!

Dex-chan lover
Seto should be an accountant. He and Anjou run a salon together, shes the beautician and he does all the paperwork.
Came here to say this, but you beat me to it. With Seto's devotion to study, re-checking, and paperwork, the taxman will become suspicious because not one column will be out of line!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This!!
Of all the trio female characters, 2 of them are working hard for their dream and future. Anjou wants to be a beautician and Toyoda wants to be an artist. And it's really lovely how both of them strive for it.

Meanwhile, Chita still wish she stay as high schooler. Her childish demeanor is slowly annoy me.

His character really could use more oomph.
Totally agree.
Seto is a good man and also have a good head on his head. All he needs now is a confidence boostee for himself.

Dex-chan lover
What uni/career is he aiming for anyways?
That’s the thing, he doesn’t know. He’s kind of just studying for the sake of studying. This is part of why he has so much self-doubt, everyone around him has a pretty good idea about what they want to do with their lives, especially Anjou, and he’s just meandering around with no clear goals.

Dex-chan lover
As much as it annoys me as well, how many of you can, or even have changed their personality and life so thoroughly? The fact that he’s stepping up at all is good progress.

Then again if that cover is what Anjou would look like IRL, she’d be pregnant by now if I were him…
People's problem with Seto is that he hasn't changed really anything though. We all get it's hard to change, that's why we put up with it for so long. But when you as a writer point out a problem clearly, make it an actual issue, but then don't fix it and bring it up again and again, it annoys the audience. It'd be one thing if it was just never addressed, but they keep addressing it and it keeps coming back, so it's irritating to see.
A lot of people want a teenager to transform into an entirely different person in 1 year lol

Sure, it's annoying to see him be so down on himself, but that's kinda the point. People claiming he's the same dude as he was at the beginning of the manga are either stupid or being disingenuous. We just saw him do a few things he'd have never done in the first ~40 chapters.

I thought this was a good chapter that's getting him thinking about his future and showed us Anjou in her element. An ongoing theme of the manga has been that bro just doesn't know what he's going to do with his life in the future. Everyone else has a good idea while he doesn't and he's super conscious of that fact. It'd be hard for anyone, especially someone who is going through as many changes as he has.
see what I posted above. Even his attitude hasn't really changed. At the heart of it he was judging things based on preconceived notions and a narrowminded view at the start. he's still doing that now, rather what has changed is the information he has. He now knows people like Anjou aren't sluts. But he still acts pretty much the same towards things he doesn't know. Even his 'try new things' is the same as before, just the people he trust or is willing to try things for has changed.

We don't need a complete make over of his personality, just if you're gonna show us "He has this problem he needs to fix" why not show it actually getting fixed instead of bringing it up literally every time there's an issue? That's all we want.

Power Uploader
I can't even imagine how you guys translate those sound-like lines, amazing quality, thanks for translation!

Fed-Kun's army
Setos ever present doubt... It's not shocking he's so good at "studying" with his tendency to overthink/overanalyze everything, combined with his pessimism puts him borderline OCD. But then again, the stark dichotomy between him and Anna is pivotal and compelling.

As ever, thank you for scanlating.
Psychiatrist arc. Gotta get this man on some adderall.

Dex-chan lover
ffs Seto, you have been through this proccess a few times now and you are smart, get a grip :pout:

Dex-chan lover
Thing is, he doesn't know. That's been one of his basic character traits all along: he studies for the sake of studying. He has absolutely zero idea where it's gonna take him, either in the immediate future or long-term (both of which he's reminded of here).

Which is really unrealistic for a top-rate student in Japan. As I alluded to earlier, his homeroom teacher would've dragged a list of school choices out of him long before now.
I would agree it's unrealistic for a "normal" Japanese HS student, though to be fair, I don't personally feel those would make compelling characters without seriously contrived environmental elements.

We have seen his teacher attempt to "push" him in a direction with his test scores, which was "deflected" in a decent way. I think it mostly boils back to Seto's self-image; after failing the entrance exams, it's unlikely he considers himself "top-rate", born out by his lackluster admission of his multiple perfects. Yes, he likes studying, and excels at it, but does that translate to a career mindlessly? That unknown combined with everything else he's processing, seems to have him a bit overwhelmed, which exacerbates his normal reticence.

Fed-Kun's army
Actually (☝️🤓), I understand and even welcome this arc of self-doubt that Seto is having; I mean the uncertainty of the future is a terrifying topic for a lot of people: starting to think things like "what are you going to do with yourself", "how would your relationships manage change" and well, high school graduations are filled with that, I myself am going through it, seeing the way I am distancing from my high school friends lately and starting to wonder what's to come with my friendships now that I am about to graduate college. I find it very relatable, so just give it time, I feel that this is going to be a really good arc of development for every character in the manga :02:

I mean she noticed he was feeling down, hugged him and said "relax, I don't really want to do the long-distance thing anyway." She reassures him a lot and he ignores it. He didn't even ask what she meant by that. Just back to his own world once again. He gets a lot of reassuring pretty consistently. A this point he needs a therapist to talk to and work through whatever issues he's having.
Doesn’t that mean she wants to take a break since they won’t be together? Which is what is making him feel uneasy

Dex-chan lover
:thumbsup: LOW ANGLES GOOD

I do wish Seto would have some of his character arc stick. This persistent looking down on himself is getting tiresome.
really
it's hard to me dislike an MC like that, but yeah... I feel he is forced

Double-page supporter
I'm so tired of the trope "Oh no he/she is going to another college, so we will never be able to see each other again". It's so overused that I cannot see it as a serious problem, it's just an obstacle created of thin air to feel like the characters are actually growing.

And Seto's indecision about the future, could be an interesting plot point, but it's not the central point of the story. A story about a smart student leaving high school and realizing he doesn't know what he wants to do, would be interesting, but this manga is just a generic romcom with pretty girl and smart guy.

Users who are viewing this thread