Yancha Gal no Anjou-san - Vol. 14 Ch. 175 - Flight Response Scramble

Group Leader
Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Ok so Inuyama's mom is the new bestest girl of the series, noted

Dex-chan lover
tl;dr version:

source: trust me bro

Also, they're lying to you, and you're a gullible moron: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/newsbrief/index.html?record=4672
yeah man you get that strawman, show him who's boss! you got this man there's no way he'll be able to beat your arguments

especially that chris guy, you totally have more insight into the details of the translation than him, go get his ass by making shit up and lying, nobody can beat that

On a less sarcastic note, why is it that ignorant opinionated liars crawl out of the woodwork whenever anything about AI crops up? Or, I suppose, in a related case, why is it that ignorant opinionated liars randomly accuse things of being AI? Mass formation psychosis like this doesn't show up out of nowhere. There's always a source, but I've never been able to track down what the origin is.

Dex-chan lover
Why are the Japanese pressuring kids to pick their career when they're still teens? Teenagers are stupid and fickle, they don't know the significance of the choice they're making.
Doesn't everyone? You pretty much decide your fate by picking what education to get after high school.

Dex-chan lover
I don't disagree with that, and I ain't saying AI is the best thing ever, just that current day localizer brought it on themselves by bastardising works they were supposed to translate but decided to impose their views and opinions on it...
Maybe it will serve as a wake-up call to get more serious people doing the job correctly, that would be the best thing
Can't believe such a fallacious comment got so much positive attention.

I don't disagree with that, and I ain't saying AI is the best thing ever

Starts with this, then proceeds to defend AI like someone who actually thinks AI is the best thing ever

current day localizer brought it on themselves by bastardising works

This is on pretty bad faith, you are acting like translators shoehorning their views into translations is the norm rather than the exception,you just don't hear about the decent translations because those are the norm.
Not to mention, this completely glosses over the fact that translation it's never a 1:1 endeavor as AI bros seem to think, there is plenty of nuance that is lost in the process of translation due to cultural differences and the like that just not exist in the target language. Part of the work in translating is making sure you manage to get across all the subtleties that are not being explicitly stated.

Maybe it will serve as a wake-up call to get more serious people doing the job correctly,

As stated before, most of translators do their "job" correctly, they don't need a wake up call for something they are doing correctly.

As a quick reminder, this got licensed… by an AI manga translation startup

Normally I’d say to support the official release, and the author tweeted that they checked with Emaqi Orange and they're using a human translator, but… I trust them as much as I can throw them
I am 2000000 billion % against AI TL, anyone who does that shit deserves to burn in hell for eternity.

Dex-chan lover
I just love it when the side couple and main couple are both great
Yeah, this manga has been killing it for so long, and has no signs of slowing down. A breath of fresh air compared to some recently ending rom coms that ended in an underwhelming fashion

Supporter
Cram-school sensei: CHOOSE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE'S PATH RIGHT NOW
Also sensei: no I'm not gonna do anything to help you with that

Dex-chan lover
As a quick reminder, this got licensed… by an AI manga translation startup

Normally I’d say to support the official release, and the author tweeted that they checked with Emaqi Orange and they're using a human translator, but… I trust them as much as I can throw them
Yeah but I want a physical copy and it seemed last time I checked Orange is a digital only platform? :mad:

Contributor
Yeah but I want a physical copy and it seemed last time I checked Orange is a digital only platform? :mad:
Yep. Apparently they’re officially launching next month, but they really haven’t explained anything so who knows how things will end up

Dex-chan lover
Throw money at the art until it blows up like other niche markets.
The Pokémon Company makes an exorbitant amount of money while producing games of (ultimately) middling quality that people still buy up.

There's literally no pressure to get them to improve their products, and the signaling is more akin to affirming the desire for that kind of product quality.

This weird segue into capitalism-bashing is loathsome, when the actual issue is that the workers being complained about are not doing their job for whatever reasons.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This is on pretty bad faith, you are acting like translators shoehorning their views into translations is the norm rather than the exception
We've been doing outright hatchet jobs since Godzilla. Weinstein got a katana mailed to him to persuade him to stop chopping up Ghibli films, by a Studio Ghibli producer. 4Kids dubs existed. DiC's Sailor Moon dub existed. Ted Woolsey exists. Jeremy Blaustein exists. Translations for 80s and 90s games were often either bad quality or deliberately botched. The Ghost Stories dub existed (and don't tell me ADV got permission to deliberately botch a dub-- they almost certainly didn't, and the prime guy who claims it had a history of playing loosey-goosey with dub scripts in the first place). Viz used to censoriously edit manga, down to the art. Seven Seas has been caught multiple times altering manga and LNs-- down to their premise, in at least one case.

What is "the norm", and are people not allowed to complain about something that's-- regardless of some nebulous proportion-- both prominent and affecting high profile properties, talk less of the ones they care about? There are probably even more cases that we don't know about.

Even when they're not trolling you like SSSSS on a peanut payroll and boasting about it on Twitter, you'll frequently be left wondering what exactly their angle is when they do things like render an unambiguously declarative statement into a question about something else or translate a word into something that it could not conceivably mean regardless of the cultural context.

These aren't errors that exist because translation isn't capable of being 1:1-- these are errors that exist because the people doing their jobs are either bad at it, are trolling for pay, or both. So I don't begrudge the fact that some people would rather have bad machine translations than bad human translations, even if I think it's silly for them to have real faith in a machine to reliably translate a language as contextual as Japanese. After all, the machine doesn't know better.

Maybe there's no point in complaining too much about something that can't really be helped, absent the disgruntled individual carving out time to learn the language themselves so they don't have to play craps with translation contractors.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
So I don't begrudge the fact that some people would rather have bad machine translations than bad human translations
What the fuck does this even mean?

I think the only thing more insufferable than AI fanboys are these CHUD tourists whining about meaningless shit because somebody translated a phrase or sentence insufficiently "anti-woke" or whatever for them.

Dex-chan lover
What the fuck does this even mean?

I think the only thing more insufferable than AI fanboys are these CHUD tourists whining about meaningless shit because somebody translated a phrase or sentence insufficiently "anti-woke" or whatever for them.
Get off it. You had to cut half that sentence so you wouldn't have to acknowledge that I'm acknowledging that machine translation is woefully ill-equipped to translate Japanese, of all languages. You had to ignore that I proposed that one just learn Japanese-- a proposition you made earlier-- to sidestep this matter altogether, if only on an individual level (myself, I know just enough Japanese to cook my brain translating a chapter OR reasonably suspect incorrect translations). You had to ignore that I explained the cause for that statement in the very previous sentence. You invented me talking about ideology when I literally never did-- I talked about people deliberately doing their job poorly, and I talked about people who may be unintentionally bad at their job because their work doesn't come off as trying to screw with the consumer.

You're trying to counter-purpose lingo that evidently applies to you-- more than that, you don't care about the issue because you can't acknowledge the context that others are giving you.

You don't care to know anything. You don't care to understand anything. As far as I know, you care about nothing. Certainly, your purpose here is making meaningless noise.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
The Pokémon Company makes an exorbitant amount of money while producing games of (ultimately) middling quality that people still buy up.

There's literally no pressure to get them to improve their products, and the signaling is more akin to affirming the desire for that kind of product quality.

This weird segue into capitalism-bashing is loathsome, when the actual issue is that the workers being complained about are not doing their job for whatever reasons.
You're comparing Manga/Anime publishing to...Pokemon? That's a take, lol. It's not capitalism "bashing" to point out market pressures and forces. Ignoring those makes consumers seem naive at best, pitifully ignorant at worst.

Double-page supporter

Manga is a NICHE market for most consumers on the planet, unless a series goes big (think MHA) the margins are incredibly small. Pokemon is a HUGE international gaming franchise by one of the world's top publishers. I can't even begin to tell you how embarrassing it is to compare those two. That's like comparing some new Marvel movie with your average indie flick and not understanding why the indie flick didn't receive a billion dollar budget.

Dex-chan lover
You're comparing Manga/Anime publishing to...Pokemon?
Firstly, you're the one who claimed that "mainstream gets funded, niche takes what it can get", so it's an extremely apt comparison.

I'm using an example of a staggeringly more successful business continually not using its resources to make better products of a particular kind, while arguing that their continued success with even those products (despite the criticisms of those who continue to buy them) is more likely to signal that they don't have to up their product quality despite the complaints.

It's not capitalism "bashing" to point out market pressures and forces.
You didn't do that. Your proposition was, facile jabs at capitalism aside, wishful thinking completely divorced from the concept of market pressure. It amounts to "if we give them a lot of money in exchange for their product regardless of product quality, they'll start making better product (out of the goodness of their hearts, of course)".

It's a naïve idea that doesn't acknowledge that product improvement involves taking on additional costs (that they have no certainty will be more-than-recouped) that will more likely be seen as unnecessary if they're already exceeding their targets because of their present product quality. If they have more money despite not already upping their quality, they're more likely to choose to not risk shrinking their profit margins, meaning they won't change. The only reason they would change, at that point, is ideological or otherwise personal-- because it certainly isn't monetary.

Even when they lose money, that doesn't necessarily indicate to them that they have to improve their product, especially if they're more ideologically than financially motivated (which is expected from people with either nothing to lose or a lot to spend). It certainly would incline them more, versus just getting money for their present product quality.

That's why I said that this is fundamentally a problem of people not doing their jobs right, for whatever reasons. You can't just fix that by throwing money at it-- enough people, and particularly enough of the most critical operators, need to have intrinsic interest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread