Yancha Gal no Anjou-san - Vol. 6 Ch. 76 - Seto-kun and the Golden Azazel

Group Leader
She's smiling right now you doof! I mean, I get it, he's been treated like trash his entire life, but he's got to at some point realize his fortunes have changed, right?

Ooof Seto you poor boy - if you could only actually SEE through those glasses of yours :) Anjou is still definitely best girl.

What do you mean if only? The last panel is literally her beaming like a fucking sun

Dex-chan lover
@Nihilist1

Sorry I didn't address it before, but I'll do so now:
The treatment Nagatoro gives her senpai imo doesn't rise to the level of crushing his self esteem. To go back to the example of helping him improve his art: if she were trying to crush his self esteem she'd just dismiss his work with something like 'it's shit' or whatever. Instead she gives specific feedback on what's wrong with it (his lack of experience with girls and how awkward the interactions of his character and a female character in his manga are as a result). She also points out that when he draws girls he gets parts wrong because he's never looked at them properly, which is why she starts modeling for him in the first place.

These aren't the actions of someone out to hurt him or make him feel like shit. This is her reaching out to him and trying to lend a hand. The only thing is she coats all this in layers of smug and teasing (yes, teasing, I wouldn't call it outright bullying since colloquially bullying is an entirely destructive behavior aimed at the victim, which Nagatoro's actions are not). The reason for this is Nagatoro herself is quite shy about things related to love, which is evidenced any time there's any romantic tension between the two. For example she teases him about modeling nude for him, but gets extremely flustered when she accidentally video calls him while taking a bath.

Lastly, whenever her friends try to tease senpai or someone else actually does try to bully him, she's extremely quick to defend him. This happens repeatedly throughout the series.

Add to that that despite senpai's meek protests, he does genuinely enjoy her company.

Nagatoro is tsundere for her senpai and expresses herself through teasing.

Dex-chan lover
@Nihilist1 well that's the thing about nagatoro, and why i said it IS bad at the begining, it's just a mean girl bullying a kid with little to no self estime, and then it suddenly becomes great with paisen opening up and nagatoro understanding that she has feelings for him. It stops being bullying to become teasing, with paisen trying to fight back from time to time and nagatoro's friends teasing her because it's pretty obvious she's got something for him.

About that bullying helping you gain confidence and whatnot, i have a hard time seeing it work. I think it's just the author's kink and it's not what i am into either, so it felt pretty nice when it stopped.

The change to romance didn't feel forced since when the change started the manga had become good already so it was pretty smooth.

When it comes to comparing Anjou-san and Nagatoro, i'm pretty much agreeing with what you're saying, one being a bully (though only at the beginning) and the other a girl who's interested in the guy and tries to get closer to him.

@Reqqles he did say that he stopped reading nagatoro pretty fast, so he clearly didn't get to that point in the story. And yes at that moment she's actively helping him, but she did bully him at the beginning and it didn't look like it was because of love or anything like it.

It feels like i'm just saying everything i just said again 😄

Dex-chan lover
@Siwan Her giving feedback on his manga is literally in the first chapter of the series though lol
She's definitely more blunt at the start, but even back then she's helping him.
Hell she goes through a lot of trouble to help him understand the feedback she's giving him. Way more than anyone would who only wanted to bully some meek looking geek.

Aggregator gang
@Reqqles
@Siwan
Thanks both of you, I must admit my bias against all these bullying-tropes probably gets the better of me. I once read this manga about a girl (Takamine? I forgot) that basically blackmails the MC to submission where the MC has nothing to say about it. So when nagatoro did what she does in the early chapters that's the impression I got and honestly it puts me off. Maybe I will read pick it up again in the future.

Dex-chan lover
Comparing Seto and Senpai from Nagatoro-san is like night and day. Senpai grew so much and not a wimpy ass anymore but Seto is still stuck in his spineless loser phase. Like Jesus if this isn't a manga with him as the MC the gyaru would be so over his lame ass by now no matter how cute you can be at times.

He already looks like a middle-aged man so the least he could do is to change his dull attitude. 😜

Dex-chan lover
Every time Seto is happy the universe just cuts him down. He's like a fucking Lamenter marine.

Users who are viewing this thread