Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 165 - Welcome Back

Dex-chan lover
... So like... did Mahiru die to the sun cause he was a newborn (Sun doesn't kill vamps right in this?) or did he have an item of weakness that caused him to die (like the phone)?

Dex-chan lover
It just struck me after reading all those comments from the previous chapter about being shocked that both mahiru and kiku decided to die with a whimper....

Most people are really poor at recognizing and handling others with mental illness and social dysfunction. Often how they react to such things even makes things worse. And the worst but sadly not that rare outcome may be "What? He/she committed suicide? Why? They seemed fine!"

I'd ask more people to consider that notion after reading this. There's plenty of other characters in-universe who are not surprised at all. You can argue whether their wisdom is bad writing, but it doesn't change the point. Why do others know and you don't? Why did they also not take more action to prevent it? What causes people to get to that state? You get to reflect on this now when it's just a manga, not a person you know in real life.

Dex-chan lover
It just struck me after reading all those comments from the previous chapter about being shocked that both mahiru and kiku decided to die with a whimper....

Most people are really poor at recognizing and handling others with mental illness and social dysfunction. Often how they react to such things even makes things worse. And the worst but sadly not that rare outcome may be "What? He/she committed suicide? Why? They seemed fine!"

I'd ask more people to consider that notion after reading this. There's plenty of other characters in-universe who are not surprised at all. You can argue whether their wisdom is bad writing, but it doesn't change the point. You get to reflect on this now when it's just a manga, not a person you know in real life.
Its not why? Its how? I gotta reread I thought earlier in the story it said that the vampires didn't die in the sun thought I might just not be remembering correctly

Double-page supporter
I really don’t like to default to assuming the author is a hack-job whenever something is obtuse or doesn’t follow normal genre conventions, but I genuinely don’t know what I’m supposed to feel about this development. Hmmm, I’m gunna sit on this one until the arc is over and then probably reread it to see if I can find a through hole cuz at the moment this whole thing feels incredibly tone deaf and contrived.

Dex-chan lover
Aw, man, we're entering major feels mode. I hope we get some light-hearted slice of night life soon, we need a balance.

Dex-chan lover
The thing about that outcome is that people don't generally realize that someone deeply depressed suddenly snapping back to normal or even super happy is actually a really common indicator that they're about to kill themselves. A gradual recovery is good, a sudden recovery is quite possibly "I'm finally free. I'm not going to suffer any more." suicide planning.

Users who are viewing this thread