Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 194 - Daywalking

Dex-chan lover
As it turns out, in the raws, Kou at the end is reciting Nazuna's philosophy on blood drinking, but he's not quoting her like he did in the first chapter spread (here, he says「人の血は夜が一番美味いからだ」/ "Because human blood tastes best at night.")

I'm a bit conflicted-- I think it'd have been cool if he actually did quote her because now we're at the scene we saw in the first chapter spread, but with him just saying it (rather than quoting Nazuna saying it), it comes off as if he accepted the ideology for himself.

Also, Kou's ear is pierced by the end of the chapter. Is he in vamp mode right now?

...is he gonna suck her blood?

Speaking of predictions,

@Eighty-six

You nailed it bud.

Would you hate it if I was still second-guessing myself?

Agonizing over the Japanese for chapter 1 helped me figure out the significance of the first chapter's opening, but rather than setting up the bulk of the narrative as an extended flashback, the end of this chapter makes it seem like the first chapter's opening was "only" a flash forward.

I still don't know what to make of his reiteration of that opening monologue at the end of chapter 1, or the suspiciously distant-sounding closing monologue at the end of chapter 13, or the blatantly prescient closing monologue at the end of chapter 104 (which, for general record, has Kou talking about an undisclosed person's final moments rather than just "the end"). I also don't know how it would be indicated in the first place that the bulk of the narrative was specifically an extended flashback and not just something following a flash forward-- if that's indeed the aim-- since this is a pretty seamless entry into that scene we saw at the beginning.

Perhaps Kou's "saying goodbye" to Nazuna will involve him recapitulating the events of the narrative as he sits there. But I don't imagine he intends to say goodbye to her so early, and in the first place, I don't expect for either of them to die-- in fact, I expect for Nazuna to become humanized as a result of some aspect of her relationship with Kou being a factor in what'll happen next, given the ambiguity around the matter of a vampire becoming human and Nazuna's prior suggestion that they go to the beach when summer comes around.

But I'm also thrown off by Seri's words in this chapter. In isolation, I'd imagine they're meant to foreshadow a separation and permanent reunion (see more about this below), but in the greater context, I can't imagine Kou just becoming fully vamp'd and nothing happening to Nazuna.

JAW2JxS.png

Bad ending flag ... unlocked
I don't think there's going to be a bad ending, mainly because I'm sure that the promise they made to go visit the sea once summer comes was story-significant (as in, we're getting beach chapter one way or another, and it'll actually matter).

That said, I came across an infographic of Vonnegut's story archetypes:

kurt-vonnegut-the-shapes-of-stories_502918a226d9a.png.webp

I bring this up because the anime-- at least-- was advertised as a "boy meets girl" story. Normally, when someone talks about "boy meets girl" in terms of story archetypes, it's self-explanatory (it's a story predicated on the romance between a boy and a girl that meet by chance), and the self-explanatory understanding would apply to this story. But I'm also entertaining the idea that this story may also be "boy meets girl" in the sense that Vonnegut describes, with Nazuna being the "something wonderful"... though, there's the matter that there's six chapters (~120 pages) left to work with to show that "something wonderful" leaving and Kou "getting it back forever".

...also, if I recall correctly, that's kind of how Dagashi Kashi concluded.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
As it turns out, in the raws, Kou at the end is reciting Nazuna's philosophy on blood drinking, but he's not quoting her like he did in the first chapter spread (here, he says「人の血は夜が一番美味いからだ」/ "Because human blood tastes best at night.")

I'm a bit conflicted-- I think it'd have been cool if he actually did quote her because now we're at the scene we saw in the first chapter spread, but with him just saying it (rather than quoting Nazuna saying it), it comes off as if he accepted the ideology for himself.

Also, Kou's ear is pierced by the end of the chapter. Is he in vamp mode right now?

...is he gonna suck her blood?

Speaking of predictions,

Would you hate it if I was still second-guessing myself?

Agonizing over the Japanese for chapter 1 helped me figure out the significance of the first chapter's opening, but rather than setting up the bulk of the narrative as an extended flashback, the end of this chapter makes it seem like the first chapter's opening was "only" a flash forward.

I still don't know what to make of his reiteration of that opening monologue at the end of chapter 1, or the suspiciously distant-sounding closing monologue at the end of chapter 13, or the blatantly prescient closing monologue at the end of chapter 104 (which, for general record, has Kou talking about an undisclosed person's final moments rather than just "the end"). I also don't know how it would be indicated in the first place that the bulk of the narrative was specifically an extended flashback and not just something following a flash forward-- if that's indeed the aim-- since this is a pretty seamless entry into that scene we saw at the beginning.

Perhaps Kou's "saying goodbye" to Nazuna will involve him recapitulating the events of the narrative as he sits there. But I don't imagine he intends to say goodbye to her so early, and in the first place, I don't expect for either of them to die-- in fact, I expect for Nazuna to become humanized as a result of some aspect of her relationship with Kou being a factor in what'll happen next, given the ambiguity around the matter of a vampire becoming human and Nazuna's prior suggestion that they go to the beach when summer comes around.

But I'm also thrown off by Seri's words in this chapter. In isolation, I'd imagine they're meant to foreshadow a separation and permanent reunion (see more about this below), but in the greater context, I can't imagine Kou just becoming fully vamp'd and nothing happening to Nazuna.

I don't think there's going to be a bad ending, mainly because I'm sure that the promise they made to go visit the sea once summer comes was story-significant (as in, we're getting beach chapter one way or another, and it'll actually matter).

That said, I came across an infographic of Vonnegut's story archetypes:

kurt-vonnegut-the-shapes-of-stories_502918a226d9a.png.webp

I bring this up because the anime-- at least-- was advertised as a "boy meets girl" story. Normally, when someone talks about "boy meets girl" in terms of story archetypes, it's self-explanatory (it's a story predicated on the romance between a boy and a girl that meet by chance), and the self-explanatory understanding would apply to this story. But I'm also entertaining the idea that this story may also be "boy meets girl" in the sense that Vonnegut describes, with Nazuna being the "something wonderful"... though, there's the matter that there's six chapters (~120 pages) left to work with to show that "something wonderful" leaving and Kou "getting it back forever".

...also, if I recall correctly, that's kind of how Dagashi Kashi concluded.
I really hope this gets a good ending. But I think what I consider a bad ending is different. Let's say the precious thing the Mc gets to keep is not Nazuna as a lover but Nazuna's friendship. Why is this a bad ending? Because there's no progression to their relationship.

If Kou remains human, we get a time skip, and they meet a decade later and say something along the lines their friendship remains as strong as the day they met, that to me is worst possible ending. All the conditions for this ending have been unlocked, and iirc that's how Dagashi Kashi ended.

I really want to be wrong though, and I really hope the author will do something clever with the fact that kou is half vampire and nazuna is half human.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm once again thinking about the series and it's mysteries... it feels like an axe tbh

(Kou's half vampirism could've been explored a bit more, The story behind Kiku's past and so on could've replaced a lot of just boring chapters from the Kiku arc, Haruka feels so... meh? useless as a character, Haru could've been a bit more discussed in general if they really bothered to create Haruka... etc.)
Definitely feels like it got axed with rushed ending, or the creator just didn't know where to take the story so it's being wrapped up hastily

Users who are viewing this thread