Yofukashi no Uta - Vol. 18 Ch. 179 - Take Good Care of Them

Dex-chan lover
I think this is gonna end with nazuna not being killed by love because she is a born vampire not a human turned vampire. This author doesn’t like definitive happy endings so they won’t get together just like hotaru and coconuts, maybe they’ll just separate and live their separate lives amicably. also that throwaway line about nazuna seeing those drinking guys before, that would be a cool foreshadow for a war arc against a vampire hunter org that has been tracking nazuna and her vamp group

Dex-chan lover
If you read the author notes on each volume it seems he's blindly grasping at plot devices to spice this up and keep it going when his fandom just really wants small personal episodic stories of people who live in the night with the same vibe check as the anime.... Just give me Midnight diner Tokyo stories vampire edition.

Contributor
Fucking stop with these last panels that look like they're going to show something else and it's a cliffhanger instead

Contributor
If you read the author notes on each volume it seems he's blindly grasping at plot devices to spice this up and keep it going when his fandom just really wants small personal episodic stories of people who live in the night with the same vibe check as the anime.... Just give me Midnight diner Tokyo stories vampire edition.
Ye, it had the perfect tone in the early chapters when it was just exploring various outcasts from Japanese society. And the the vampires had more edge to them, like how Seri was literally prepared to kill the menhera guy for no reason, which added an interesting dynamic. Supernatural creatures with a different idea of morality, the danger of the night and the stifling demands of society etc..

Not to say that it's bad or anything now but Kou is the exact opposite of a outcast now and enjoys the priveleges of vampire powers without any of the downsides.

Dex-chan lover
I can only speak for myself, but I'm glad it's not just another generic slice of life with a vampiric aesthetic slapped onto it. And besides, I've never walked away from the author notes thinking that he was improvising. The thematic consistency and fairly precise foreshadowing indicates to me that he had all the major story beats planned out.

It's okay not to like the drama and tension, but that doesn't mean Kotoyama is just grasping at straws. Stories can have elements we dislike while still being well written. Edgerunners is a great story, but I have several issues with it which prevent me from liking it.

Dex-chan lover
I get the vibe that the author thinks he/she should insert more shounen stuff into the comic. It was noticeable with the abundance of fights in the early she-who-shaht-be-named arc.

Double-page supporter
Some kids have edgy phases, some kids have melodramatic ones.
The whole "take care of your friends" has a doulble meaning, in the "getting ready to leg it", but also in the "I've just realized I've been an asshole to mine", what dramatic wording Nezuna.

If Kotoyama wnat to set up more things to explore later, those coversations with all of the vampires would be a good way to do so, we've met Hatsuka's kouhai, chatted with LoveGreen again, got to know Kabura better and secured Haruka a place in the main cast.
We still have Nico (with the princess character I expect Kotoyama to come back to for another "growing up sucks" storyline) and Seri, then maybe Azami and Susuki is where we'll get back into the shounen stuff if the author prefers.

Users who are viewing this thread