Yoku Wakaranai Keredo Isekai ni Tensei Shiteita You Desu - Vol. 8 Ch. 36 - I Don't Really Get It But, It Seems Like a Fateful Reunion

Dex-chan lover
Most of the time, it doesn't matter which it is. Nor that it's even an isekai in the first place. I think about 70%-80% of isekai stories can be rewritten to be more like DanMachi, which has the exact same feel as most isekais without actually being one. In 90% of where it does matter it's just that the MC knows exactly how to construct modern technology only invented in the last few thousand years, like water pumps, crop rotation, or soap.

And in a lot of cases for this specific variant, there's little difference between an actual possession and a reincarnation with memories of the previous life. Sometimes the character herself doesn't even know which it is. The old memories suddenly appear, and the character doesn't know if she just got placed into a body with access to the body's memories, or just remembered stuff.

That's not true. Regarding whether it matters if it's Isekai, the easy trope to use is the "knowledge cheat" Isekai characters get to make modern inventions that just don't exist usually to make money. That this very chapter makes fun of.

But beyond that it still greatly matters, far more than that easy trope. Isekai'ed characters bring regrets, maturity, skilled knowledge and ideology into their new lives. You don't need Isekai to create a MC with a revolutionary mindset or ideology, but there's always a limit you can't go beyond, especially when recreating entire cultures or lifestyles that have no basis in the existing background. In this very series for example, you'd be hard pressed to explain how the scientific methodology the MC uses to efficiently make use of her skills spontaneously gets pioneered by her without Isekai. The scientific method itself technically is ancient but in it's modern form is based on so many bodies of knowledge and method processes that have been cultivated over the past few centuries, by thousands of scientists and scholars.

Whether the person is reincarnated or possessed/teleported also matters. Reincarnated persons are able to blend into their new society and often want to, for various reasons. They are not tripped up by the common sense of their adopted culture, and usually find acceptance easier.

Inserted characters, whether by way of possession, teleportation or otherwise, often deal with unique problems of not fitting in and being an outsider, and it becomes a major part of their character development.

Isekai stories that ignore all this and just give you stories that can fit regardless of how the MC was brought to the world, or even whether they were transported, are often generic low quality stories.

Dex-chan lover
God fucking damnit. How many times will I need to explain that the butterfly affect is only true if there is a predetermined future. If the story doesn't involve time travel or foresight then it is just called cause and affect.

Dex-chan lover
They seem cute together. Wonder how long until she learns how crazy talented/skilled Ren is. Or if Ren ever teaches her how to do that nightly routine ;)

Dex-chan lover
Isekai'ed characters bring regrets, maturity, skilled knowledge and ideology into their new lives. You don't need Isekai to create a MC with a revolutionary mindset or ideology,
You'd think that, but I don't find that to be the case. Regrets are usually ignored past the first chapter or two. I can't count the number of supposed 30-40 year old reincarnators/body surfers acting no different from any other child of whatever age they are. Skilled knowledge I mentioned, and it's usually badly done. Ideology is usually less about them being isekaied and more about them being an enlightened MC, since you see the exact same thing in non-isekai stories.

Inserted characters, whether by way of possession, teleportation or otherwise, often deal with unique problems of not fitting in and being an outsider, and it becomes a major part of their character development.
That's just your usual fish-out-of-water story. It's not unique to isekai.

Isekai stories that ignore all this and just give you stories that can fit regardless of how the MC was brought to the world, or even whether they were transported, are often generic low quality stories.
And those generic, low quality stories are the vast majority.

Someone annoying would probably want a sword made for them by Ren. Maybe even involving that cockroach man that was a mistake.

Double-page supporter
Thank you for the chapter! Ren forgot to tell Toriella not to let others know she survived. That will probably be a problem. She seems nice so I'm going to assume innocent mistake. Telling the other orphans and then word gets out to frog dude by accident, completely unintentional.
That's actually a decent point. They DID discuss this in the novel though, but they cut it from the manga for some reason. Because while she gets along with most from the orphanage, that isn't true of everyone, something her friend is well aware of. It was discussed that (for now), she would say that she got one of those mutual aid contracts.

She had a bully at the orphanage, who actually liked her, but he's an idiot in any case. They should be telling some of the others, in any case. Beast girl incoming.

Overall, I can't say I'm a fan of how they changed the reunion. For one thing, IIRC her friend hadn't given her name yet, when Ren called her it. So she was kinda shocked even before Ren removed that hood, and even more so after... completely not believing what was seeing and hearing. I know they gotta cut things short sometimes, but I just don't like how they did it.

edit:
Oh and this chapter must have been so fun for the cleaners/redrawers.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You'd think that, but I don't find that to be the case. Regrets are usually ignored past the first chapter or two. I can't count the number of supposed 30-40 year old reincarnators/body surfers acting no different from any other child of whatever age they are. Skilled knowledge I mentioned, and it's usually badly done. Ideology is usually less about them being isekaied and more about them being an enlightened MC, since you see the exact same thing in non-isekai stories.

I call the subset of isekai you are talking about "trashekai". Not because they are trash, but because the trash almost always belong in this group (lots of bad stuff outside it, but they are almost always in that case not trash, as at the very least the setting was interesting, or some other part was).
But it also more commonly has some of the safer reads, simply because of them being so formulaic. You won't see them innovate beyond their gimmick, but will generally be able to tell near instantly whether it's going to be utter trash or a nice'ish read.
Basically, one could call them the fast-food of isekai. Low-but-consistent quality that is depressingly tasty for all that it's not actually good. A taste you know when you don't feel like trying something new (place, style or simply meal). I could also compare it to be the call-of-duty's or fifa's of isekai.

Dex-chan lover
Basically, one could call them the fast-food of isekai.
It's usually what I read once I've read all the good mangas I'm following, and want to read more. But sometimes they're worth reading for other reasons, like the setting and plot can be complete garbage, but the characters and their interactions are fun or interesting. Sometimes the gimmick makes it readable at least in the beginning, before the author runs out of ideas and settle down on the bog standard.

Although most of the time the first chapter or two are so full of the exact same exposition all of them have (Did you know the adventurers guild has a letter-based rank system that probably won't have much of an impact on the story? Let's explore that in detail!), so it can be hard to judge early on.

Dex-chan lover

So basically, even though the topic was about what makes for good isekai, you counter with most Isekai suck or copy it from other good stories so these don't matter.

I don't think you know how to back up your argument.

Dex-chan lover
So basically, even though the topic was about what makes for good isekai, you counter with most Isekai suck or copy it from other good stories so these don't matter.

I don't think you know how to back up your argument.
So you're essentially deciding that only you get to say what the topic is and claim everything outside that is not being able to argue despite that you're the last one to jump into the discussion. Fantastic.

I don't think you know how to back up your own argument.

I can show you the exact discussion flow from the very beginning, and it was not strictly about "good isekai". It started with a question asking if we should recognise a character, then a clarification about what type of isekai it was, and that's where I started the argument about how it doesn't matter in most isekai. That was all before you said anything. Nothing up to that point was about what makes a good isekai, and if you're trying to make it out as if that was the topic of discussion, you need to work on your reading skills, because they're not sufficient.

My argument was "this is how most isekai are" and you said "false", which is, ironically, false, as I've argued.

But I don't even need to stop there. There's nothing that says that an isekai have suck if you can rewrite the isekai out of the story. It's just what's the most common, which was my point.

Dex-chan lover
Just caught up on this, discovered I preferred this bare-faced Ren over megane-Ren. Heresy, I know. :wtf:

Dex-chan lover
thats because thats the shitty translation that makes no sense
Yeah, as much as I would LOVE if someone picked this up and do new chapters, there is a reason those aren't posted here. They are absolute garbage with worse than MTL grammer, even worse typesetting, and overall just way too painful to read and I can usually struggle through MTL sometimes. Plus every chapter has a donation page plastered on it, for work that is worse than if you just used a google image translation app. So disrespectful.

I really really really hope someone actually picks up translating this again though, it's been two months since we've seen anything from Rythyugn, and which makes it 1 chapter in 5 months, at some point someone else needs to step in.

Dex-chan lover
Is Rythyugn still working on this title? The MTL's being mass-released lately are a travesty!

Users who are viewing this thread