Yopparai Touzoku, Dorei no Shoujo wo Kau - Ch. 17 - Fake Gold Coins

Dex-chan lover
Dunno if it is something lost in translation, or mangaka trying to write a too complex story for their skill, or if I am meant to remember some important details beyond what was flashbacked this chapter...

...But that whole segment about gold coins felt stupid.

You got fake gold coins given as a gift and keep it on you because owning them is a felony? First, why is simply owning them a felony when it is simple to get them from a transaction? Second, why is there no protection in place for victims reporting the occurrence and handing in the evidence and testimony, do they want a destabilized economy? Third, why keep them or carry them on you if a search is all you need to be branded a felon - and there are people with motive to pay one of your client to gift you fake gold coins as a thanks, and then tip off guards about you?

He also talks about who would have the gold coins and why they would be made, and claim that the only value in fake gold coins is to dupe respected individuals into using them? But what about the value of them being used to purchase stuff? And what value does some forger gain by having other people spend money when they gifted (he asserted they are only given, not used in a transaction by the culprit) them anonymously to said people (since if it isn't anonymous, then when that person is caught they would get directly implicated from the testimony)?

ps: the start seemed like he woke up and found nothing stolen, realized the coins had been switched to fake ones, and then stupidly handed in the fake gold coins to the recipient. But then from context it seems more like he had 2 gold coin bags, one was fake, and the thief stole only the fake one (but for some reason not the real one).
He's kinda cocky for someone who got hit by a sleep spell. Yeah sure he's got some clever tricks up his sleeve but it only worked because the thieves didn't kill him and looted his corpse.
Yeah, he really has no sense of danger, for a very dangerous situation. There are people around him that have the capability to put him to sleep whenever they wish, unseen, and then can do whatever they wish to him. And this extends to people he cares about, too.

Aggregator gang
might I suggest a proof reader and or a qc/qa or two before publishing chapters?

page 8: "You doesn't seem to have changed." -> "You DON'T seem to have changed."
EDIT:
Haven't finished reading the chapter yet:
page 15 "if there's a fake money in there..." -> "if there's / there is (uncertain of this one) fake money in there..."
page 16: "at first glance, they appears to be a serious person." -> "at first glance, they appear to be a serious person."
page 19: "i'm sure it's because he lives with harris-san, who has a kind heart." -> "i'm sure it's because she lives with harris-san, who has a kind heart."

I might have missed some things, I more or less just woke up..

Last edited:
Supporter
ps: the start seemed like he woke up and found nothing stolen, realized the coins had been switched to fake ones, and then stupidly handed in the fake gold coins to the recipient. But then from context it seems more like he had 2 gold coin bags, one was fake, and the thief stole only the fake one (but for some reason not the real one).

the real coins were hidden in his sock and the guy that knocked him out only went for his coin purse. Much easier to run away with.
You got fake gold coins given as a gift and keep it on you because owning them is a felony? First, why is simply owning them a felony when it is simple to get them from a transaction? Second, why is there no protection in place for victims reporting the occurrence and handing in the evidence and testimony, do they want a destabilized economy? Third, why keep them or carry them on you if a search is all you need to be branded a felon - and there are people with motive to pay one of your client to gift you fake gold coins as a thanks, and then tip off guards about you?

he was planning on tossing them out in the woods and while he probably could’ve turned them in, he’d have had to say where he got them and that’d mean turning in a client which would be bad for business

Dex-chan lover
did he really almost die? just like that?
sleep magic seems extremely overpowered
just cast from a distance and kill anyone you want?
There's a reason Sleep and Grease are so strong in D&D and other games.

Dex-chan lover
First, why is simply owning them a felony when it is simple to get them from a transaction?

Sadly, this exists in reality with absurd laws. Examples include "possession of stolen property", "civil asset forfeiture", or "constructive possession" laws surrounding some goods.

Corrupt politicians claim "selective enforcement" by prosecutors will stop abuses of these legal codes. "Arrows in the quiver" to take multiple shots at criminals. Instead, it used to falsely charge marginalized socio-political groups and force "plea bargains" of innocents.

Another example is some US states ban keeping bottles of alcoholic spirits when they are empty. There's literally a law mandating you are supposed to smash them when empty. You heard that right: collecting empty bottles on a shelf like a college student is a misdemeanor, for each bottle, and you can potentially go to prison for life if a prosecutor "selectively enforced" you.

Corrupt politicians claim it's to "stop bars from faking and refilling liquors". But then the actual crime is "selling mislabeled goods under false pretenses" or "food code violation of misrepresenting contents of ingredient label". They've conned the public into normalizing an absurd crime. "Malum in se" versus "malum prohibitum" simply because it's convenient for those in power.

Welcome to our legal system, not justice system. You understand how broken it is as you get older. So I thought author did a mature take here.

Yeah, he really has no sense of danger, for a very dangerous situation. There are people around him that have the capability to put him to sleep whenever they wish, unseen, and then can do whatever they wish to him. And this extends to people he cares about, too.

Agreed here. "Because Magic" is a huge dangerous plot hole many authors don't implement carefully enough.

Same people think the regulated goods I alluded to in previous paragraph are "evil talismans" that are responsible for all of society's ills. When they're just tools in the hands of the vastly more numerous just population, and an exceeding small but very active unjust population.

Same thing applies with magic here. I am willing to bet in-universe there are some demanding a total ban "magic control", despite living in a world of literal flesh-eating, women-assaulting orcs. Also tying into some recent actual events, of so-called "orcs" doing the same in reality, with the same calls immediately prior. Magic is magic, both for the wicked an righteous.

So all in all I think this was very well handled by the author. With exception that NOBODY would be okay getting knocked unconscious so easily. Let alone an isekai world veteran thief.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread