Yopparai Touzoku, Dorei no Shoujo wo Kau - Ch. 17 - Fake Gold Coins

Corrupt politicians claim "selective enforcement" by prosecutors will stop abuses of these legal codes. "Arrows in the quiver" to take multiple shots at criminals. Instead, it used to falsely charge marginalized socio-political groups and force "plea bargains" of innocents.
You may want to dial it back with the Communist propaganda.
Same thing applies with magic here. I am willing to bet in-universe there are some demanding a total ban "magic control", despite living in a world of literal flesh-eating, women-assaulting orcs. Also tying into some recent actual events, of so-called "orcs" doing the same in reality, with the same calls immediately prior. Magic is magic, both for the wicked an righteous.
This idea of people being so concerned about "safety" and thinking so actively about the political process is entirely new. Realistically, a guy gets blown up, and you just take it as life. You probably knew everyone involved, and you knew if the other guy had it coming.

Dex-chan lover
there are some limits there
casting from stealth + distance/ no LoS is Arch Lich level magic
No it really isn't. There are many ways to get around the required components to make it stealthy 9including just... being at a distance), and distance is generally variable. in 3.5 D&D, for example (which Pathfinder 1st ed. is based on), Sleep is 100 feet + 10 feet/level. Even at level 2, that's 120 feet, or about two whale sharks or a third of an American football field in distance; you don't need visual confirmation of the target, either, since it's an area centered on that point. Throw on an Enlarge Spell metamagic and it doubles the range; A Sorcerer would have to be 4th level, a Wizard only 3rd, to cast such a spell. Since you don't need to yell verbal components and only say them firmly in an average speaking voice, 200 feet + 20/level means 260 feet distance for a Wizard, 280 feet for a Sorcerer, both more than distant enough to cast the spell on an unsuspecting target, especially in the middle of a forest. If we go by 5e rules, then sorcerer of 3rd level can do it, but Sleep has a flat range of 90 feet, Distant Spell metamagic to 180 feet (more than base in 3.5, but woefully shorter than Enlarged spell variant), which is still more than enough to do the above just fine.

Dex-chan lover
Sadly, this exists in reality with absurd laws. Examples include "possession of stolen property", "civil asset forfeiture", or "constructive possession" laws surrounding some goods.
All of those sounds like an entirely different kind of seriousity(lol) than fake money, in that they are far from as damaging to society.
If someone is stealing stuff then the stuff is still as valuable as before, but if they distribute counterfeit currency then the trust of - and thus the value of - said currency can totally crash.

This is akin to laws against ownership of firearms, but no amnesty carve-outs for people reporting and submitting said firearms to the law enforcements (where stopping people from doing so will only ensure the firearms remain in circulation + make it much harder to find out about illegal distribution of firearms, and the channels thereof).
Another example is some US states ban keeping bottles of alcoholic spirits when they are empty. There's literally a law mandating you are supposed to smash them when empty. You heard that right: collecting empty bottles on a shelf like a college student is a misdemeanor, for each bottle, and you can potentially go to prison for life if a prosecutor "selectively enforced" you.
Sounds like a recipe for the state having to pay much more money in public healthcare for cuts by glass-shards. As if it wasn't already way too big of a problem that ppl smash their bottles when they are done (and govnts are doing all they can to dissuade stupid drunks from doing so), leaving shards everywhere from the street, to bus stops, to beaches, to even deathtraps in the water itself.
Corrupt politicians claim it's to "stop bars from faking and refilling liquors". But then the actual crime is "selling mislabeled goods under false pretenses" or "food code violation of misrepresenting contents of ingredient label". They've conned the public into normalizing an absurd crime. "Malum in se" versus "malum prohibitum" simply because it's convenient for those in power.
over here, we simply solved it by making it illegal to sell alcohol if you don't ensure people can't take the bottles with them when they leave (empty or not. this is to ensure ppl don't litter bottles and glass-shards in public). Literal requirement to either always pour the alcohol in a glass, or to use bottles that can't be de-opened (though ppl totally can recap bottles...) and have a bouncer indoors to try and spot transgressors.
Welcome to our legal system, not justice system. You understand how broken it is as you get older. So I thought author did a mature take here.
You are talking about dumb laws. Those exist everywhere. I am talking about rules that actively harm the state itself (and in a way that can easily snowball and not just be tolerated) by criminalizing whistleblowing, without any clear way for a corrupt politician to have benefited from this fact. And in a non-democracy at that (monarchies tend to have the powerful crack down hard on any such laws as it actively harms their own income)!

Dex-chan lover
Another example is some US states ban keeping bottles of alcoholic spirits when they are empty. There's literally a law mandating you are supposed to smash them when empty. You heard that right: collecting empty bottles on a shelf like a college student is a misdemeanor, for each bottle, and you can potentially go to prison for life if a prosecutor "selectively enforced" you.
I need citations or examples, because those sound like shit hole states.

edit: looks like it's supposed to be a commercial seller thing (bars and stores) and not a individual level thing since they want you to "mutilate the tax stamp".
also of fucking course it's Texas. More examples would be nice (look up TABC for the Texas stuff)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover

It was California until 2010. CA SB825, 2009-2010.
Reason being I know a person "selectively prosecuted" for it by a politically-motivated malicious DA.

So comes back to I appreciate the author actually handling counterfeit currency with grace in their fictional universe.
It tracks with how we treated counterfeit booze, for better or worse.

Dex-chan lover
It was California until 2010. CA SB825, 2009-2010.
Reason being I know a person "selectively prosecuted" for it by a politically-motivated malicious DA.

So comes back to I appreciate the author actually handling counterfeit currency with grace in their fictional universe.
It tracks with how we treated counterfeit booze, for better or worse.
My condolences. Hopefully they managed to get out of that BS without too much problem... or it didn't follow them long if it did.

Dex-chan lover

edit: looks like it's supposed to be a commercial seller thing (bars and stores) and not a individual level thing since they want you to "mutilate the tax stamp".
also of fucking course it's Texas. More examples would be nice (look up TABC for the Texas stuff)
Federal law: Any retail dealer, or agent or employee of such dealer, who refills any liquor bottle with distilled spirits, or who reuses any liquor bottle by adding distilled spirits or any substance (including water) to the original contents is subject to a fine of not more than $1000 or imprisonment for not more than 1 year, or both.

PA Law: It shall be unlawful-- For any licensee or any employee or agent of a licensee or of the board, to fortify, adulterate or contaminate any liquor, except as permitted by the regulations of the board, or to refill wholly or in part, with any liquid or substance whatsoever, any liquor bottle or other liquor container.

Many other states have laws that are like this.

This said: Removing all labels and obviously marking bottles appropriately, even if the bottle itself is marked (e.g. raised glass lettering, or embossed designwork) is usually seen as good enough.

Bitch: "Asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers"
Bitch: Thank you MC, I think I can depend on you.

MC: "being humble"
MC: "tried to ask her out"

Bitch: "denied MC flat out"

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread