Your opinion on machine translation usage and ai text removal?

Group Leader
Joined
Jun 26, 2025
Messages
20
Though I know basic Japanese and how to use dictionary I still often use MTL and I see some people who despise MTL/generative AI usage in scanlations and some who don’t care.

So I’m wondering what the opinions on these things are here and whether I should continue the way i am right now or not…

(please don’t slime me out)
 
Last edited:
Mangodex Derailer Wheezer
Group Leader
Joined
Jul 15, 2019
Messages
13,883
Though I know basic Japanese and how to use dictionary I still often use MTL and I see some people who despise MTL/generative AI usage in scanlations and some who don’t care.

So I’m wondering what the opinions on these things are here and whether I should continue the way i am right now or not…
MTL & CLRD?? Is it a work that require tight deadline? I think the answer is depend on what youre working on and with. Even dub now some uses AI, though it does not necessarily remove real human voices.

But hey, if you work with corporate you will understand MTPE works really well unless you need to work it on localization, then MTPE is really a poor work.

And for cleaning purpose I agree. You can uses lots of program and tools that can support your work faster. Tools are meant to be used to be efficient in the first place anyway.

Do what you can do, but if you really loves the language and you prefer meticulous translation, then it better be not MTL, MTL is not for everything but it is also a good tool to use in some cases.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Sep 17, 2018
Messages
1,654
As far as I am personally concerned I am fine with not reading something if nobody can translate it, I really don't need the next chapter like some kind of druggie, it is fine to give up if the only alternative is using a machine.
But more in general, machines do a terrible low quality borderline insulting job; even all the fancy "realistic"/"good" examples you see nowadays in professional settings are the result of a lot of work and human editing. Nobody wants to be insulted by a machine.
Essentially: as long as the results have dignity you can get away with it.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Sep 17, 2025
Messages
239
MTL with human supervision is still good.

But MTL without any human supervision (even correction) is meh.

Also, as how 2 users described before me, professional human work is preferable but if your MTL still under human supervision (editing, cleaning, etc) then it's still okay.

In @GipoScribantino words:
I really don't need the next chapter like some kind of druggie, it is fine to give up if the only alternative is using a machine.
 
Mangodex Derailer Wheezer
Group Leader
Joined
Jul 15, 2019
Messages
13,883
Consider this a good rule of thumb @komikureader, if you think this is enough, then it is enough. You cant always satisfy everyone and some mistakes can be seen after youre done. Thats why QC/QA exist.



I know youre somehow Indonesian... Please let me tell you, out there there are professional using MTL to translate anime from JP to ID and the result is horrifying. So do your worst or just do what you think is the best result on your own, doesnt matter how, but if its good enough for you then it is fine by itself.

And thats one the reason why guidelines exist in medium. To guide you how to translate and how to do localization translation.
 
Mangodex Derailer Wheezer
Group Leader
Joined
Jul 15, 2019
Messages
13,883
If you have a grasp on english and japanese then its fine, but when I read that the TLer isnt good with either language, then why bother?
I dont know man? for the love of it? what do you think back then people translating and scans these stuff for? Because they love the medium and want everyone to know about it.

and saying why bother just not the right to put it. it is the right path for him to ask first and you shouldve motivate him.

Who else going to translate all of those NTR hentai if not because people asking the way first?
 
Group Leader
Joined
Jun 26, 2025
Messages
20
MTL & CLRD?? Is it a work that require tight deadline? I think the answer is depend on what youre working on and with. Even dub now some uses AI, though it does not necessarily remove real human voices.

But hey, if you work with corporate you will understand MTPE works really well unless you need to work it on localization, then MTPE is really a poor work.

And for cleaning purpose I agree. You can uses lots of program and tools that can support your work faster. Tools are meant to be used to be efficient in the first place anyway.

Do what you can do, but if you really loves the language and you prefer meticulous translation, then it better be not MTL, MTL is not for everything but it is also a good tool to use in some cases.
Sorry but what does CLRD and MTPE mean? 😭
 
Group Leader
Joined
Jun 26, 2025
Messages
20
If you have a grasp on english and japanese then its fine, but when I read that the TLer isnt good with either language, then why bother?
I mean i am an English native (I was born in australia) but my Japanese capability is what I am learning in high school + some online knowledge, which I would assume places me between n5 and n4 level
 
Last edited:
Group Leader
Joined
Jun 26, 2025
Messages
20
I’ve read everything down to here and from what I see I think the opinions here in general are
1. Don’t bother
2. Be very VERY cautious
3. As long as you check it, it’s should be okay

But yeah I’ll definitely still be waiting here for more opinions, they are quite intresting
 
Last edited:
Minister of Yuri Destruction
Contributor
Joined
Jun 18, 2018
Messages
5,743
Personally, if you do it for reading yourself, it's okay, the problem arises more if you share that stuff.

Even if it's readable, MTL is not good at actually reading the nuances.
It also lessens the chance of the work getting a proper translation, since if one already exists, the incentive is lower.
At least limit it to works that have been long abandoned and are unlikely to find any actual group with interest(So no recent releases or anything that already has groups working on it), also mark it clearly that it's MTL
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top