Zettai ni Hatarakitakunai Dungeon Master ga Damin wo Musaboru made - Vol. 3 Ch. 12 - Management Policy

Dex-chan lover
@Ominous
Oh, well, thank you for proving my point.
Unless this is an oddly advanced "medieval" world they don't have the food production nor the manpower to have jails or prisons. If you are convicted of a crime, which would likely be done in a guard building instead of a court, the likely outcome, without slavery, is death.
So it is much less "oh, damn, I'm a slave" and more "I hope whoever can afford me can also afford to feed me. (Being nice would be a bonus).
Besides, there were examples of slavery systems where they had terms, not all slavery is modern slavery where it is impossible to be freed...

P.s. only the first kine (thank you ...) is actually directed at you, Ominous, the rest is reiterating my point.

Thank you for the chapter and your hard work! Love this series and looking forward to the next chapter~

Dex-chan lover
I guess it's like indentured servitude.

But then they were literally dressed in rags. Legally obligated indentured servitude.

Dex-chan lover
This MC is a man of culture as well!
x24.png

Thanks for update and those sound translations are best!

Dex-chan lover
Puppy girl fearing she will be sold off was cute but sad at the same time. The talkative one at the end would have made an easy sale. That's exactly who you want talking up your businesses.

Dex-chan lover
@tamerlane i see thanks for the info, as for how the elf girl end up like that what i can say its kinda come up out of no where even i had few second to disgest what i read, so witb that description i kinda dunno if chekov gun right to use there 😅

Dex-chan lover
@Aricitic "I am glad/surprised to see that people aren't freaking out over "the slave thing". It makes the long boring task of explaining that the American (once a slave always a slave, racial slavery, hereditary slavery, etc) is only one type and depending on the technological advancement of a society slavery is a better alternative to starvation and/or execution. (Imprisonment of non-nobles is relatively recent given the scarcity of food and the preferred usage of labor for military or, well, said food issue.)

Oh, well I did the explanation anyway... (Think I will just link this post in the future...)"

That...doesn't make it right, lol.

Don't get me wrong, this is just fantasy, and I do wonder why so many isekai stories have slave fantasies in them, but please don't try and rationalize it as anything good, because that's just bullshit.

To reiterate, I don't have a problem with the story, (fantasy is fantasy, after all) but I DO have a problem with someone real rationalizing slavery this way. That shit aint cool, bro.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty much any pre-modern society is going to have some kind of forced labor, whether that be slavery, feudalism, labor-tax, a caste-system or conscription. The solution came with the industrial revolution where slavery became a detriment as it was more costly to house, feed, and clothe people instead of paying them a wage as the advantage of technology meant more people could do things quicker, cheaper, and easier than they ever could before. It speaks to how advanced we are that we DON'T have forced or coerced labor in most modern societies as we not only don't need it, but it would be actively detrimental and inefficient to have it.

It's really a case of economics and how far people can advance in a relatively short amount of time. And whilst some places still have slaves, most places have advanced to a point where it is unnecessary, which is a good thing @Kaldrak

Dex-chan lover
@Tamerlane My argument is a moral one, not a logistical one. Though it may be easy to look back from the point of a historical or holistic perspective and find justifications for slavery, from the viewpoint of the slaves it has almost always been miserable and horrible. We still have slavery today, hidden in the cracks of our society. It's just not widespread anymore.

Fantasies like this manga, where the slaves seem to want/like being slaves, are kind of amusing, so long as one doesn't take them too seriously. Just don't try to tell me slavery was a good thing, is all I'm trying to say. It's not. it never was, and it never will be.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaldrak @Tamerlane
My argument is both a logical and a moral one.
Would you rather see executions or people with the possibility of being set free in the future? Would you rather see an entire family, household, village starve or someone be sold to a noble to everyone can survive and the one sold to the noble could be set free.
The key here is that they could be set free which sets apart modern slavery from some historic slavery.
In a perfect world it we would have enough food etc for everyone. A perfect world doesn't exist. In a world with the most benevolent form of slavery it is more adoption than slavery. In a real world with unrealistic ideals in place of morals (not YOU, but someone going to one of these worlds from our own and forcing all the slaves to be set free... And not then providing for them, which I guarantee you would happen) people just die unfair and miserable deaths to exposure and starvation.

This IS a "would you rather" and it is between homeless, starving populace with absolute execution (or removing of a limb, which is effectively execution) for any crime, or a system of forced labor?

BTW, this shouldn't be a question for our world and our time, but forced labor still exists, just not in the form of slavery.

Edit, Kaldrak, subjectively I don't think that you are wrong. I merely believe that, for example, bleeding is ok when medicine and surgery doesn't exist, and medicine and surgery are ok when better (less invasive) doesn't exist. I.e. I believe in looking at the given situation and what is available at the time, then making a moral decision based on that.

Dex-chan lover
It's complicated. In Rome, it was better to be a slave than to be poor because the slaves had options such as buying their freedom and had access to food and a home, which is better than destitution so to say. It's like indentured servitude in that sense. Now, the transatlantic slave trade was much worse as it was built on a form of slavery where POWs were turned into slaves, with the Europeans merely trading guns and other resources for the slaves in question and then they would be shipped en masse in unsanitary conditions. The former probably you would agree is more ethical than the latter because of consent.

But the issue of consent is tricky. It's hard to judge societies by morals they had no concept of and were impractical to apply in a different world where both intellectually, culturally and socially, everything was fundamentally different. Every society before the technology increase of the Industrial Revolution required forced labor to some extent, though this is not necessarily slavery as other forms exist. Essentially, people want infrastructure in their societies, as well as how certain jobs are needed to be cheaply and a massive scale but there are few willing people to do them. The advent of technology as made this issue non-existent as there are cheaper, more efficient ways to complete tasks.

This is not apologetics for slavery, but more saying that it's a necessary evil in times when people didn't have the resources and information they had today, nor the means to do what slaves did in a more productive and efficient manner. Really, it's about understanding the sociopolitical and economic conditions and factors that lead to institutions that forced labor-with slavery being the most notable for its cruelty relative to other systems.
@Kaldrak @Aricitic

Users who are viewing this thread