Zettai ni Hatarakitakunai Dungeon Master ga Damin wo Musaboru made - Vol. 8 Ch. 45 - Meat's challenge

Dex-chan lover
I prefer the name being Meat, so I'm glad it won. Thank you for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
Welp time to drop for being racist, Yeah I know that may seem over the top of a claim, its not though. Its culturally insensitive to change names, Ive said it before, a name is a proper noun, in translating it it is no longer a name and just word, ignoring culture and the person. If you travel to a different country they do not change your name only how its written changes but not to a equivalent they keep it phonetically the same, Ive read the LN so wont be missing out on story, and wont support racist translations. I get that a lot of people demanded it, but it doesn't change that its racist and insensitive.

Dex-chan lover
Welp time to drop for being racist, Yeah I know that may seem over the top of a claim, its not though. Its culturally insensitive to change names, Ive said it before, a name is a proper noun, in translating it it is no longer a name and just word, ignoring culture and the person. If you travel to a different country they do not change your name only how its written changes but not to a equivalent they keep it phonetically the same, Ive read the LN so wont be missing out on story, and wont support racist translations. I get that a lot of people demanded it, but it doesn't change that its racist and insensitive.
I think calling it racist is a bit much, but I agree that translating names, which are proper nouns, is really stupid.

Dex-chan lover
I think calling it racist is a bit much, but I agree that translating names, which are proper nouns, is really stupid.
I really thought whether I should or not, but the more I thought about it and looked up after having several debates on this in past chapters. It really is just the definition of racisms. A majority trampling on a culture. I couldn't find a county in the world that deem it proper or right to change names like this. Its so universally seen as wrong I couldn't find examples or anything really aside from just don't do it. There a lot of advocates for changing it here, and what their reasons all boil down to is, I don't want to have to remember a foregone word, or this name is hard to remember, or I'm not used to this word, its all lazy ignorance and discomfort with another culture and language. Many use the excuse that oh we are supposed to know it right away, but its not meant to be that blatant, the MC took many chapters to notice it and it was explained, so not even a TL note would be called for (which many had objections to as well) It was meant to be subtleish, so if some readers know what Niku means, and others don't that would be the correct reception.
So while it may seem dramatic, it fits the definition of racisms to a T, how bad of racism on a scale of 1-10 is up for debate.
I get the TL wanting to please the readers, but some things you just need to stand your ground on. There is a also a large percentage that don't comment and don't weigh in. Often do to very vocal and persistent types harassing many into silence as they just don't want to deal with them. I hope the TL realizes this isn't just about pleasing the vocal group, there is a reason it is internationally deemed improper and wrong.

Group Leader
Where is Niku chapter? I won't read it until I see it.
mangadex said no to having 2 versions
You have not met the us government. My last name is how it is because of the US Government. Many last names got changed by the US Government. and no its not because of any weird characters in the name.
I really thought whether I should or not, but the more I thought about it and looked up after having several debates on this in past chapters. It really is just the definition of racisms. A majority trampling on a culture. I couldn't find a county in the world that deem it proper or right to change names like this. Its so universally seen as wrong I couldn't find examples or anything really aside from just don't do it. There a lot of advocates for changing it here, and what their reasons all boil down to is, I don't want to have to remember a foregone word, or this name is hard to remember, or I'm not used to this word, its all lazy ignorance and discomfort with another culture and language. Many use the excuse that oh we are supposed to know it right away, but its not meant to be that blatant, the MC took many chapters to notice it and it was explained, so not even a TL note would be called for (which many had objections to as well) It was meant to be subtleish, so if some readers know what Niku means, and others don't that would be the correct reception.
So while it may seem dramatic, it fits the definition of racisms to a T, how bad of racism on a scale of 1-10 is up for debate.
I get the TL wanting to please the readers, but some things you just need to stand your ground on. There is a also a large percentage that don't comment and don't weigh in. Often do to very vocal and persistent types harassing many into silence as they just don't want to deal with them. I hope the TL realizes this isn't just about pleasing the vocal group, there is a reason it is internationally deemed improper and wrong.
TLDR: Name change was a internal thing. Mangadex wants 1 version. People overall prefer the "wrong" name. We also want to be wrong enough.

ok so the 2 versions was literally no work it took longer to upload than make that change. behind the scenes we have different tler(non-native) from when we tled(native) years ago. I told them if wn tl changes the name then we will use niku, it did so we swaped. we use the wn as reference over the ln for certain reasons. We are already over the barrier for somethings but being wrong enough does help.

Since we now have to keep 1 version im going with the more read one. If you go off intent as in the MC doesnt think meat = sex slave then meat would be the proper name. As the language has changed you localize to work with how the language works. Its why shakespeare is really weird in not english because it was made for the english langauge and customs and had to be translated and localized to not be nonsense. Name changes happen in fan tl all the time we just forget they happen.

Dex-chan lover
If it's not even supposed to be her "name" how does it make it a "noun".

You misusing the term racist/racism is akin to twitter bitching about pedophile and conflating it to lolicon/shotacon. Like you're quite literally making a massive stink over a minor issue that will most likely be forgotten since from what other LN/WN readers have mentioned she's gonna get an actual name latter on. Which thank you I'm adding racism/racist to the list of terms that just lost all meaning nowadays due to how people misuse/overuse it... god this list is gonna be filled with all of the words in the dictionary by the next decade.

Honestly funny how you say it's "internationally deemed improper" when you haven't really presented an actual case to back your point aside from your what if scenarios that is already countered by others using the literal same what if scenario on past comment threads. Not to mention you flat out ignoring that even the official TL also going with Meat, just because "official TL can't be trusted because they're pushing an agenda(or whatever the fuck tinfoil reason you gave back then)"

All this just boils down to is how people act on the behest of others even though they don't actually know how the real "affected" people would react. The scenario where they usually say "I'm not a part of this minority group but I feel what they feel" often times spoken by privileged people.

So for closing since it's pointless to "argue" with you, goodbye you will not be missed, you'd more likely be remembered as the bullheaded petty person.

Group Leader

You misusing the term racist/racism is akin to twitter bitching about pedophile and conflating it to lolicon/shotacon. Like you're quite literally making a massive stink over a minor issue that will most likely be forgotten since from what other LN/WN readers have mentioned she's gonna get an actual name latter on. Which thank you I'm adding racism/racist to the list of terms that just lost all meaning nowadays due to how people misuse/overuse it... god this list is gonna be filled with all of the words in the dictionary by the next decade.

Honestly funny how you say it's "internationally deemed improper" when you haven't really presented an actual case to back your point aside from your what if scenarios that is already countered by others using the literal same what if scenario on past comment threads. Not to mention you flat out ignoring that even the official TL also going with Meat, just because "official TL can't be trusted because they're pushing an agenda(or whatever the fuck tinfoil reason you gave back then)"

All this just boils down to is how people act on the behest of others even though they don't actually know how the real "affected" people would react. The scenario where they usually say "I'm not a part of this minority group but I feel what they feel" often times spoken by privileged people.

So for closing since it's pointless to "argue" with you, goodbye you will not be missed, you'd more likely be remembered as the bullheaded petty person.
shit you are right they swaped to meat crap. we are no longer wrong enough with the name

mangadex said no to having 2 versions

You have not met the us government. My last name is how it is because of the US Government. Many last names got changed by the US Government. and no its not because of any weird characters in the name.

TLDR: Name change was a internal thing. Mangadex wants 1 version. People overall prefer the "wrong" name. We also want to be wrong enough.

ok so the 2 versions was literally no work it took longer to upload than make that change. behind the scenes we have different tler(non-native) from when we tled(native) years ago. I told them if wn tl changes the name then we will use niku, it did so we swaped. we use the wn as reference over the ln for certain reasons. We are already over the barrier for somethings but being wrong enough does help.

Since we now have to keep 1 version im going with the more read one. If you go off intent as in the MC doesnt think meat = sex slave then meat would be the proper name. As the language has changed you localize to work with how the language works. Its why shakespeare is really weird in not english because it was made for the english langauge and customs and had to be translated and localized to not be nonsense. Name changes happen in fan tl all the time we just forget they happen.
First off, im sorry all this has been a big deal. Second your localization efforts are much appreciated and are recognized. Thank you.

Group Leader
Unsure if an elaborate troll or actually serious but I'll bite, にくis in no shape or form any kind of actual name in Japanese.

Your argument might be valid if the translator white washed actual names like idk Aya into Sally or something, but in this case you're working with something akin to a nickname.

There is no 'culture' of girls named fucking にくin Japan lmao. It holds no pre-established identify as a name. It literally just means meat. Stop trying to romanticize it.

All you're doing by leaving it as Niku is leaving details lost in translation and even losing the whole nuance of her having such an unnatural sounding name by trying to camouflage it as something that might sound natural to anyone unfamiliar with Japanese.

Just try calling some girl Niku in Japan and see heads turn and people giving you a wtf stare lol.

Now try that in murrica or whatever and it's suddenly camouflaged as some exotic foreign name.

But call a girl Meat in murrica in public and the wtf kinda stares come back. More accurate and faithful to the original context by far.

Anyways, only honest reason to keep it as Niku is it might sound cuter. And fair enough if that's what the translator wants to prioritize cause it's really not such a grave plot point.

Bored translator rant over.

Group Leader
First off, im sorry all this has been a big deal. Second your localization efforts are much appreciated and are recognized. Thank you.
its not a big deal. honestly its kind a joke. most of the work for this series is done by the russians atm so if anything go support them. be sides me its the Russian group credits. They are nice enough to give us the English version typeset which i then edit the soup out.
The tl is the easy part the clean is the hard stuff, the russian group pays for it because they enjoy quality. the English side requires nor wants money.
This quality enjoyment is kind of a issue thou. I dont want a weird word soup, and the russians want nice typeset and clean. so ill settle for weird name flips.
Unsure if an elaborate troll or actually serious but I'll bite, にくis in no shape or form any kind of actual name in Japanese.

Your argument might be valid if the translator white washed actual names like idk Aya into Sally or something, but in this case you're working with something akin to a nickname.

There is no 'culture' of girls named fucking にくin Japan lmao. It holds no pre-established identify as a name. It literally just means meat. Stop trying to romanticize it.

All you're doing by leaving it as Niku is leaving details lost in translation and even losing the whole nuance of her having such an unnatural sounding name by trying to camouflage it as something that might sound natural to anyone unfamiliar with Japanese.

Just try calling some girl Niku in Japan and see heads turn and people giving you a wtf stare lol.

Now try that in murrica or whatever and it's suddenly camouflaged as some exotic foreign name.

But call a girl Meat in murrica in public and the wtf kinda stares come back. More accurate and faithful to the original context by far.

Anyways, only honest reason to keep it as Niku is it might sound cuter. And fair enough if that's what the translator wants to prioritize.

ah man shhh dont let my fun be ruined. if i cant make the readers baby rage into senseless discussions to get engagement what can i do.
anyways thanks for spelling it out for some people why localization is a thing.

Dex-chan lover

its not a big deal. honestly its kind a joke. most of the work for this series is done by the russians atm so if anything go support them. be sides me its the Russian group credits. They are nice enough to give us the English version typeset which i then edit the soup out.
The tl is the easy part the clean is the hard stuff, the russian group pays for it because they enjoy quality. the English side requires nor wants money.
This quality enjoyment is kind of a issue thou. I dont want a weird word soup, and the russians want nice typeset and clean. so ill settle for weird name flips.

ah man shhh dont let my fun be ruined. if i cant make the readers baby rage into senseless discussions to get engagement what can i do.
anyways thanks for spelling it out for some people why localization is a thing.
I see, so despite them literally saying its her name you don't think its her name, and you think this is all just funny. I wasn't kidding about dropping this. I have read the LN, I know the story, so I have nothing really holding me here, seeing your mentality really cements that yeah I wont be bothering with your translations. The only reason I'm still here in the comments is the notifications of replies I'm getting, many of which are just pathetic posturing.

Dex-chan lover

Anyways, only honest reason to keep it as Niku is it might sound cuter. And fair enough if that's what the translator wants to prioritize cause it's really not such a grave plot point.

All of what your saying is based on that its not her name, but it literally is undermining everything else your saying. If she needs to sign her name its what she wrights, when she introduces herself its what she says, when she registers as a adventurer is what she puts. It is 100% undeniably her name. Names are come up with and often based on words, but once assigned to a person it shifts from being a word to a name.

Users who are viewing this thread