@wastedlantern

I agree. Yumigahama was hyped up for incredibly long as this villain with arrogance and the power to justify it. They even said "on par with Agito" earlier on.
Now Yumi feels like nothing but disposable waste.

Even when just looking at this fight solely, I find it stupid. "Stealing martial arts and weapon styles" is kinda fuckin stupid. It may be similar to how Agito evolves (like when he used Okubo's forte against Gaolang), but there was an actual threat there. Misasa has Silat, but Yumi doesn't feel like he has a defined style. He feels like a literal monkey, just throwing hands until something works. It would've been a better fight if Yumi actually dealt some damage, but all he did was give Misasa slight cuts.

Unpopular opinion, but this is why Rihito vs Falcon was the top fight for me so far. That fight radiated intensity and violence from both sides, and both were battered at the end. I felt nothing from Misasa vs Yumi.

If I want to justify Misasa vs Yumi, it'd have to be that Yumi was actually strong, its just that everything was against his favor and for Misasa's favor in this match. Yumi was very limited in this stage while Misasa thrived in it. We also have to take into account that Misasa is an actual Fang. People keep staring at the idea that Yumi was a former Fang and that he sullied the title (which he did), but he was fighting a Fang as well. Misasa was just underestimated by everybody.

Now for the next match. Really want to see Akoya versus LeBanner, or Raian versus the Wu guy.

Dex-chan lover
Well even though the result was extremely anti-climactic we can at least move onto the next fight with haste

Double-page supporter
lol @ people going "wtf he's dead right?", clearly didn't read Kengan Asura

Also:
mvRlYmB.png

After reading this as it came out and rereading it a few times in its entirety, I can say this with confidence- this is the worst multi-chapter fight in the entire Kengan series. There's nothing redeemable here. We spend four chapters dawdling about with a one-sided beatdown delivered by a character we don't know to a character we don't know, and it's supposed to be cathartic?

One-sided beatdowns are good for three purposes. When they're delivered by a character we like, they can be cathartic (think Goku clobbering Frieza after an entire arc worth of Frieza dominating every major character). When they're delivered by a character we don't like, they can help us hate that character even more. (Think everything before Goku beats Frieza, when Frieza is dominating every major character.) When they're delivered by a character we don't know, they tell us "this character is strong." Kengan loves introducing characters by having them wreck some no-name scrub effortlessly, that's in the backstory of almost every fighter.

With that in mind, what's the purpose of this fight? If it's the third option, then it's doing it wrong. It should not take four entire chapters to hammer in the message that Misasa is strong. We already knew he was strong when we learned he was the Fang. So it's the first option. It's supposed to be cathartic not because Misasa is delivering a beatdown, but because Yumigahama is taking one.

So you're telling me that this manga spent chapter after chapter hyping up Yumigahama as strong, saying he's "just as strong as [Agito]," that he was able to become the Fang of Metsudo as a rookie, that he was able to easily (???) beat Jose Kanzaki, a character we know is strong, only to spend four chapters on a boring, predictable beatdown with no stakes and no emotional weight? Yeah, Yumigahama's a jackass, but the worst thing he's ever done from the audience's perspective is liver-punch Koga, which wasn't even a bad thing in the long run.

We do not hate Yumigahama enough for it to be interesting to watch some boring, generic, straight-faced blondie without a hint of emotion beat him up like a ragdoll for two full chapters. It feels like all of the time we spent hyping Yumigahama as a major villain and a powerful martial artist, as well as all four of these chapters, were a waste. Meanwhile, Kanoh Agito, a man who's only here because he hates Yumigahama so much, is watching straightfaced from the stands like he's completely disinterested.

Meanwhile, Yumigahama, a character who was never particularly characterized other than "asshole," continues to have no character, no relevant flashbacks other than the bare minimum, and gets effortlessly dominated and then facemashed. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, but I really doubt he's ever going to be a relevant character again, so all the effort put in on the part of the manga to make him seem important or cool is just reduced to nothing.

I'm just honestly disappointed. I've liked basically every fight in this entire series until now. I just feel like we've hit a new low with this one. From the moment Misasa challenged Yumigahama, it was obvious that he was going to win, and now five chapters later, it never became less obvious until the moment Yumi hit the floor.

There are some things that could redeem this, but not many. The main one is if Yumigahama died and so Misasa actually lost the match. That'd actually change the result from the expected one, and so it'd add at least some stakes in hindsight.

Fed-Kun's army
What a horrible and boring fight, one of the worst the series has had, i can't believe i waited a week for this.
Also lol at the people saying he's dead, we've had worse in the series

Group Leader
At least we can all agree that we’re happy this fight is over and we can hopefully move onto a character we care about

Dont let the fight distract you from the fact that misasa is fighting in them tight ass office pants with a belt on

Group Leader
Everyone is a gangster until machio-san enters the tournament 😂

Dex-chan lover
That was fun. People say it's anticlimatic, but I felt that was what made this enjoyable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread