Group Leader
@MNP92 I was curious as well so I did some research. Spoilers, I didn't find much. I guess maybe they're all characters or something to do with cultural references regarding Oni (Ogre). Tarou might be referencing this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro_the_Dragon_Boy
I can't find any relations on the other names yet.

Also, spotted a translation mistake while looking at the raws:
dM8uSEm.png

VpLP7et.png

I think the translator mistook 島 (Shima) for 鳥 (Tori).

Dex-chan lover
@Dridespoon thanks for researching i was now also wondering why ^^

and always funny how they wiggle them self out of there own laws to help ^^

Aggregator gang
@Rukja, @Dridespoon, @MNP92 _ there is a folk lore called Momotarou (lit. Peach Boy).

To sum it up, Momotarou goes on journey to the onigashima (island of ogre) to defeat the oni (ogre). Across the journey, He is accompanied by 3 animal: monkey (saru), dog (inu), and bird (tori) which he tame with dumpling (kibi dango).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momotar%C5%8D

The folklore is popular so it has many adaptation, even in modern day.

Ugh. I cringe everytime I read "the country of Japan" like 90 times in every single chapter. Like, I get that the country's official name in Japanese is "Nippon-Koku" which LITERALLY translates to "The State of Japan" but still, to call it that in EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE. Really, my nigga?! That's like me saying, "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" EVERY GODDAMN TIME the topic of my country (or place of residence if ya wanna be more specific) comes up in the conversation. And that's like like pure Cringe! Just call it "Japan" and keep it pushing, my guy!

Also, no one every says "The country of-" in English! It just doesn't SOUND right! At least call it "The State of Japan" or SOMETHING cos it sounds more easy on the ears.

But anyway, thank you for all your hard work and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the next chapter.

Has the translated version already caught up to the RAWs? Man, I've read parts of the WN and I wanna see shit get adapted into the manga already.

Btw... I'll re-read but forgot what chapter is this in the WN. Any idea? Also thanks for the translation.

Dex-chan lover
"Dangerous wildlife", I guess it's hunting season then lmao. Also loved that the platoon actually realized the momotaro reference as well as being self-aware of the govt using loopholes.

@ksen with the amount of govt bureaucracy (especially in Japan) to enact laws like these, I guess it kinda makes sense to use loopholes than wait until the whole continent is overrun by "Dangerous wildlife". It's kinda funny as well since ever since JSDF was created, Japan always had to reinterpret article 9 to get around it since removing it isn't really an easy task.

Hum ... while some people already commented on the "dangerous wildlife" ... *cough* reintrepretation :p of the Demon army ... why was that even necessary as an excuse, if they already skirted the self defense article in previous conflicts saying that they were defending Japanese citizens? Just send a person there ( an ambassador, if you like ) and send the SDF to defend him/her :p

Well, it is not that this Japan is so keen to defend the laws anyway, when it seized foreign assets by ... trying not to call it force, but is hard ... from the foreign embassies. The author has been all over the place in this subject, TBH :/

Dex-chan lover
We'll probably be reaching that point soon after this arc is finished. I dropped it soon after because the author's biases biases comes into full swing then and the contrivance of

Reason why I dropped it:
So in the demon lord arc, the JSDF mounts a rescue operation to save the remaining survivors. Short story, they save everyone and kill the Demon Lord. Now, after another couple of months Japanese citizens are allowed to leave the country for tourism. However, for some inexplicable reason, one of the enemy empire somehow manage to surprise a tourist spot and captures a large number of citizens. Don't ask how or why, it's a big ass pull of a contrivance which drives home the next part.

BIG SPOILERS:
An envoy visits Japan and the diplomats hope to negotiate for their release. But of course, the enemy nation is evil, so have ludicrous demands like turning half the population in slaves tributes, etc. The envoy uses a crystal vision ball to show the mass execution of the Japanese Citizens to the diplomats, much to their horror. Enemy envoy gloats and leaves waiting for Japan to surrender. Now all this eventually leads to the big goal of the author biases. The Japanese Government holds an emergency meeting and unifies an amendment which revokes the clause of the JSDF's "self-defense", citing the reason the Japanese Citizens were massacred was because the JSDF had their hands tied in protecting their countrymen from aggressive foreign powers. So now, the JSDF is no longer a self-defense force but is now an army capable of declaring and waging war.

@Yurisivel

That ... sounds like if the author wanted to get rid of the self defense clause and didn't knew any better way of doing so. Sigh ... Like I already said a couple of times, Japan in here just had to convene the ambassadors ( you know, the ones they just diplomatically shafted to the side by illegally adquiring their embassies under the threat of starvation ), do a mini-UN and require of that mini-UN some peacekeeping missions, Korea War style. But no, you have to be Nippon Banzai all the way, I guess ...

@IronMace1990

Thanks for the spoiler/explanation, sir! I wasn't being clear of the 😱 remark. I was inferring to the similarities and ironies on how the author chosen to depict many of the inhabitants in that parallel world. Of course, I would assume many of the modern Caucasian ex-pats would look upon their Colonial Era counterparts and just sigh.

Dex-chan lover
Well drawn faces here,
totally not amusing....
Oh god burn it down.

@ksen It's less a problem of laws, and more like it's in the constitution itself that doesn't allow Japan to intervene militarily in foreign conflicts (aka go to war) (even more so, since they aren't officially allied to anyone yet)

@Ainzell According to the Wiki, the 7th fleet is there but is for now acting as support, and to defend the home islands (just like in our world). And also there's nothing in the wiki about the 7th fleet doing anything, mostly because the author just wanted to write Japan is stronk without the US, but still need some allies (ultra-nationalist, yes. But at least way milder than most other nationalist authors)

@Yurisivel
I understand what you say, but I who also read the novel, understand differently the Palpardia Empire didn't attack all of sudden, it was mentioned they wanted the land that the Fenn kingdom wasn't using, Fenn refused and also purposely omitted the fact that their nation was most likely to enter a war against the Palpardia Empire to Japan, the fleets destroyed in this chapter were from the said "Evil empire". So again it's not it came out of nowhere as you said. And I'm pretty sure, the Palpardia empire didn't ask for half of the entire of Japan's population a salve tributes, they did ask for a yearly (I think) tribute of slaves, the amount definitely not half of the entire of Japan's population. I wouldn't say the Palpardia Empire is evil, I would say they have mostly a mentality of the Roman Empire or the Many Chinese empires, and we don't call those empires evil for doing similar stuff

And about Japan can wage war, I mean they have the superior technological gap for now, and they have everything necessary to wage a war, the JSDF is basically an army, but its only job is to defend Japan, change what they need to do, and they become an army in name and job. Biased from the author definitely, but at least he doesn't go all the way and say that Japan can do everything alone, since, by the point of the New World War arc, Japan is mostly winning because it's working with all the other nations and because the Valkas Empire is literally Imperial Japan with USA amount of resources (underestimating their enemies capabilities, hiding their losses, and just too full of themselves). So in a nutshell, the JSDF is pretty capable of waging a war (not full total war for years, but still capable for a few years at best), they just can't because of a certain law and two paragraphs in the constitution, that if removed, Japan can officially have an Army, that would just be the renamed JSDF to Japanese Army (JA) (or the Imperial Army, since they're an empire in name)

I'm not really defending the author here, nor his ultra-nationalist ideas, but if I had to say, he's the one who doesn't make as if Japan can do anything alone, or because of some incredible bullsh*t (like the one on the Yamato can change a war result because some teenager said so manga)

Dex-chan lover
@entity_101 it doesn't help that there's a bit of hierarchy of civs in this world as explained in the past chapters in which everything that's not in the "Civilized" regions are likely regarded as weak, medieval age and isn't worthy of attention, with Japan being in a "backwater" region. Louria being the strongest in the region was pretty weak civ wise only aided blinding Palpadia with arrogance to consider a powerful country in the backwater area.

It's the same reason why Gra Valkas managed to one up HME in naval battle and surprise a lot of supposed "powerful" countries in the civ area, as they weren't exactly expecting a powerful country outside of their civilized regions as for many decades no country was isekaid into that world if I remember correctly. Which in turn reinforces their idea on the hierarchy.

Users who are viewing this thread