Double-page supporter
This was shitty. So that dude was apparently another god. Rudy, git gud.
I still member the days where Rudy did more than throwing stones at his enemies.

Dex-chan lover
@degenerateafro that's the easiest example, if you prefer underwhelmed protag, i can give you but not from manga. ethan hunt from mission impossible franchise is the best example of active protag

@mage_goo by forcing protag to make crucial decision in limited time, like in tate no yuusha

Fed-Kun's army
@Operatix Although this is going into spoilers in a way, not exactly. Orsted is an anomaly in a story about an anomaly. Rudy really is a side character in his own story.

Dex-chan lover
@degenerateafro
The only complain I have is that Rudeus knows wayy more magic, offensive and defensive, than stone cannon and yet he seemed stuck on it these past chapter.
From past chapters he knows teleportation, water amgic, wind magic, fire magic , earth magic and some of they combinations, he has been fighting using magic for suport to Eris and Ruijard for 2 years already and yet he fights like an amateur.
So the problem is not that he is not "god like" but that he is being inconsistent with the time frame given. Not to say he was a no-life otaku before so his imagination for the use of the magic should be better than just "stone cannon to the face and pray it work".

Dex-chan lover
@nachtness
Something I agree and disagree with you is that the protag is passive. The story starts because he dicedes to not see this second life pass by him and aways try his best and yet he falls into a routine and then external agents start to work to brake such routine, namely his father and hitogami.
Since his father sent him to the boreas house he has been adapting to new situations, from gaining the boreas family trust and affection to teaching Eris to behave, and then he was thrown into the demonic land and the story changed to him having to survive, get Eris back home and help Ruijard. While the events around him decide what his objectives are it still through his planning and decisions that the story progress.
Is Rudeus passive? Yes, since he just answer and adapt to what is happening around him, and no, because he actively seeks to solve the problems as they appear instead of going with the wave to were fate takes him.

Fed-Kun's army
@mahtan The thing with chantless magic is that he can make it as powerful as he wants and as big as he wants. The stone cannon isn't a no-biggie either. Since he's been using it A LOT he has already honed the way he's forming the stones. In this instance, he packed enough mana into the thing that it's several times more powerful than his Saint-ranked magic "Cumulonimbus" (the storm he casted when he was younger). I also don't think it's shown properly here, but Rudeus just casted Nuclear explosion but most of the mana got absorbed by the gate, which is a good thing because it would have melted both Ruijerd and Eris from that distance (he's getting anemic so he's not thinking straight). Also, he can't use teleportation.

Aggregator gang
@mahtan He has been using a few things like air burst and silence. However as far as his water magic is concerned, remember how long it took for the rain clouds to summon the last time he used it. My guess is stone cannon, fire and air burst are his fastest and highest damage chantless spells. Remember the last two fights were "I'm trying to get through the castle as quickly as possible without being detected" and "I'm currently lying on the ground dying with my lungs punctured". Not exactly the best situations for creativity.

Dex-chan lover
@mahtan yea i heard "it'll be interesting when he's older" from novel fans
in that case, the mangaka should've minimalize childhood arcs, except if they playing "read the novel to know the continuation"

then again, it's just my personal preference that i think this manga is meh

Dex-chan lover
Well that escalated quickly. Also they aged him a lot the last two chapters.

This group might want to finish their website because right now it's a mess. First no sign of a credits page or attributions besides the group name. You'd have to contact the site's owner I guess to learn more. They made a really weird choice of file hosting/video streaming api rather than just an image reader. Right now you need to sign up to get access, and there's a sort of pay wall. The site requires a certain amount of views on your uploads to their site to keep your account free, but then there's also contradicting information on the main page about the paid accounts. It says there's unlimited storage, but a rate is given $9.99/TB. It isn't bad compared to popular cloud services to be honest. If they're uploading to other hosts themselves this is all fine, but otherwise that's some aggressive monetization of work they have no rights to.

Rather than a scanlator group they seem to want to make a file hosting platform for other groups. It doesn't look like anyone claimed ownership of the scanlator account on mangadex but they mentioned mangadex on their own site. Whether or not they're making the chapters publicly available is unclear to me.

@mahtan
I would think the shock of having your lungs crushed and your two companions down throws you into panic mode and you start fighting irrationally.

and since no one has stated or questioned it, having your lungs crushed would probably leave you with around as much time as you can hold your breath, so around a minute.

Fed-Kun's army
To anyone assuming that this is a Gary Stu story:

The great thing about this story is because the characters are living in it. They feel like people, not plot devices. This random encounter with Orsted? It'll be explained later. Just remember that he's just a person and the world is a lot bigger than he is. He's not like Ainz that is basically a god walking among mortals though you can tell that he's several heads above most people living in this world. Remember: his goal for this life is have it be fulfilling and not to rule others or be the strongest person there is. In his situation, as a child, what can you even do?

It's also important to know that whatever actions he take should be taken in comparison to the age of his body. While it's true that he does have the memories of his past life, his life experiences are pretty nil. Also, almost all capabilities he has IS because of the body he has. His mana, strength (and weaknesses), as well as intelligence. As an example, in his previous life, although he's above average in terms of intelligence he won't be mastering any new languages any time soon while as Rudeus he easily became fluent in speaking 3 more while mostly only going by the books. He also attributed every intelligence feat he had to the body he has now.

Dex-chan lover
Maybe that'll teach him to trust random strangers. Considering the dude had freaky eyes, had a mask wearing tagalong, and made Rudeus's companions all scared, a person with normal wits would have been a little bit cautious.

Fed-Kun's army
@nachtness That would be a terrible idea. While it's true that the "intense" part of the story would happen once he grows up, many of the character developments are happening during childhood arc. Many, and I mean, many of the actions of the characters later on would be confusing or doubtful if you rushed towards the adulthood part.

This is not just an action manga, but a slice of life one. We're being told the story of Rudeus' life, his family, and how he'd make a certain someone fall to despair because it's basically inevitable he's gonna die. Don't worry, it'll be very interesting later on, but I'd be pissed if they rushed there TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread