Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme He didn't really "trust" him, but he's getting frustrated since he's just being manipulated by Hitogami so he tried his chances if he can get any info out. While Ruijerd and Eris are trembling, there is basically 0 killing intent (yes, he can sense those as well as presence) in Orsted; he's acting like he saw a genuine friend in Ruijerd and Eris (it'll be explained WAAAAYYY later). He didn't expect he'll go full battle mode on.

Dex-chan lover
@fly2555
When a scary person asks you if you know someone, there's at least a 50% chance they are looking for enemies, not common friends. Rudeus trusted him because he spilled the beans immediately.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme The manga exaggerated it, but that's Orsted's "poker face" and Rudeus just learned not to judge people by its cover from how he first met Ruijerd. The reason why both Ruijerd and Eris are scared of his is NOT because of his appearance. Again, it'll be explained later, but this "reason" doesn't affect Rudeus so for him he's just a middle-aged guy with a set of glaring eyes.

EDIT: Sorry, it's judge, not trust.

@nachtness You'll probably not enjoy that "interesting part" that much. It's certainly an original and great turning point of the story but as a consequence, Rudeus will become way more passive than now.

@adfjs
Surely Orsted Corp has a nice health insurance for the small price of taking the protag place.
Well It's not really bad and the light novel is still really well-written, it's just imo there was a lot of potential about Rudeus, the world, the magic system, etc...

Group Leader
When I read the LN it was pretty brutal. Now in the manga form, it's just what I imagined, if not more. Great stuff by the artist.

Fed-Kun's army
@passepartout39

Well, it's not like he took the protag place, more like he'd ensure health insurance and HIGH compensation or Rudeus would go batshit crazy, though the latter part isn't 100% necessary. While I do agree that there is tons of potential, but it's not really feasible with the situation he was in (lots of business travel, while his training isn't lacking like what many people thought) he doesn't really have the time to do so. Remember that he's still innovating magic even while being extremely busy while also being a husband and father. I guess the biggest missed opportunity is the fact that the "story" ended while he's 24 so even if he made great things, which he did, we didn't have the opportunity to actually read those parts. Though I understand that fact that great things must come to an end and if the author actually didn't end it there then it'll either spiral out of control or become extremely boring and lax.

Either way, I agree that it has a lot of potential and maybe extending the story a volume or two would have been extremely appreciated. Maybe not revealing the traitor's name too easily would have gotten the leeway needed to expand the horizons more.

Dex-chan lover
@adfjs
And now he again got a chance to learn to judge people better. A useful lesson.

Fed-Kun's army
@passepartou39 I haven't read the LN/WN, but lost potentials are something we human can lose or wouldn't discover unless we had the time to delve into them. That will display Rudeus more like the common human than most OP protagonist, making Rudeus more relatable.

From what you are telling, I'm assuming Rudeus will in the future be integrated into a community/organization, which means there will be responsibilities/expectation from the said community. And because of said responsibilities, there will be less time for him to develop in other areas/potentials. But we'll see his story through the said responsibilities and watch his growth/emotions.

I mean, I would like to watch how deep this rabbit hole will go, as I find many other isekai already tell a story about encounters by going through a lot of areas/expertise/potentials, by going through rinse and repeat, because the protagonist learns/discovers something "new" and thus many follows him.

TL;DR: I want to see a story of a common man than a leader in an isekai world.

Fed-Kun's army
@xininja TL;DR: Rudeus got his lung destroyed and his heart pierced, so he might die.

Long version:
Orsted, the Dragon God, apparently hates the guy Hitogami, who's been giving advises to Rudeus since the Teleport incident. DG is so strong that he downed Ruijerd, who's stronger than Ghyslein (Eris' tutor), in just a few hit and downed Eris in just one while holding back on both. While Rudeus is confused on what's happening, DG took the opportunity to break his lungs because broken lungs = no chant = useless magician who's gonna get killed because of the injury. Rudeus, for reasons unbeknownst to even himself, cast Stone Cannon (which, if you read my previous comment is more powerful than Saint-ranked spell). This surprised Orsted; not only was he injured by him, but the boy can use chantless magic. While Orsted is being surprised, Rudeus tried to create a Nuclear explosion. This would've killed both Ruijerd and Eris as well, but he's way too anemic to think straight.

Thankfully (I think), Orsted has a spell that can absorb mana, The Dragon's Gate. However, Rudeus' mana is so powerful that the Gate started cracking. For some reason, Rudeus, a kid not even in his teens
has more mana than the Demon God, Laplace
(not really sure if it's a spoiler since Orsted should've yelled this observation in this fight but whatever). While being wary, Orsted observed that Rudeus has nothing left to offer and decided to pierce his heart, basically trying to kill him.

Eris is still conscious as these events were happening. She still cannot move much and was helpless against the man who called himself the Dragon God. Eris has no other choice but to cry out to anyone who could possibly heal him. She, while roughly knowing healing magic, can only do basic ones and won't heal the hole in his chest. "Grandpa! Dad! Paul! Therese! It doesn't matter who. Someone save him! Rudeus is going to die!" And the chapter ends.

@adfjs
And I completely agree: the scenario is what makes Rudeus passive, he doesn't have any choice and it's really well written in that sense. The author cornered Rudeus but also himself.
Yeah, I'm also sad the "story" ended when he's only 24, there was room to make it more "spaced" as you said, it just got into "Hitogami" too quickly.

Saying I agree to most of your thinking makes me want to ask: Do you recommend any LN? Any gender, don't worry. On my side, I would suggest Saihate no Paladin if you didn't give a try.

Aggregator gang
In the grand scheme of things, Rudeus is only a side character in Orsted and Nanahoshi's story.

I dont get what you all talking about can somebody can somebody tell me what is that all about the story ending?

Fed-Kun's army
@NoyinNabi WN/LN stuff. No need to pay attention unless you want to be spoiled.

@CoolOtamegane
More like fate.

@passepartout39 I'll try reading that recommendation. Thanks. While I'm not really proud of this, I do tend to read isekai stuff with less than stellar characterization (at least when compared to this). You can try "That time I was reincarnated as a Slime" (it has an anime with great adaptation), "My death flags show no sign of ending," and "Kumo desu ga, Nani Ka?" All are pretty good stories, and might actually be much better than I'm giving them credit for (I'm fanboying on this story, sorry about that). If you don't mind VNs though, I have one or two more that I can recommend you.

Users who are viewing this thread