5Toubun no Hanayome - Vol. 14 Ch. 120 - Five Years Ago, On a Certain Day

Dex-chan lover
Even though I don't like the direction this went, I can appreciate certain elements of this chapter. The ending page with them making the cake is nice, how they wrap up their arcs, etc.

However, it all seems to be completed with a nice little bow and I feel like this is a little bit rushed. Something in me tells me most of these characters wouldn't just lie down and take this and there would still be some internal conflict and tension between not only the two dating, but how they get split up, or how Fuu goes to Tokyo U, etc. that I don't think we get to see play out...

I think it's just not as realistic and seems to overly jovial to the point where it's uncanny for me, and I feel like this last part as been all one rushed fever dream...

Dex-chan lover
Galaxy brain credits page. Also magazine cover:

EP6-osIWkAAg80X.jpg

I can't feel the denouement of this manga because Negi fucked up the Climax...

I really feel like yotsuba lost her chemistry with fuutaro the moment they started "dating"

Dex-chan lover
thanks for reminding us abt Onodera's wedding cake

now im going to crying in my tub for at least 2 hours

Group Leader
I feel like Negi is gonna pull a Nisekoi with Miku and Nino and Im gonna hate that so fking much...

Dex-chan lover
Same. I feel like they've all been super out of character for a little bit. I think Negi thought about the ending he wanted without thinking of the themes, characters, and how they would logically get to that point, and so it lacks the "umph" that we were all expecting as a conclusion. That's why it feels so disappointing, because it's a rushed, half-hearted conclusion that doesn't fit very well with what the story was building up to, and so these characters we've grown to love just feel flat and shadows of their former, much more complex and interesting selves and that does great disservice to who they are as characters.

@HakuErdrikII

Plot twist: the cake is poisoned. If they can't have Fuu, no one can. @MaterialBurst (I say this jokingly but considering Nino's track record of kidnapping and drugging people, and also being ultra protective of what she considers "hers" and "her family," that would be more in character than her just helping out like that.)

Dex-chan lover
I may be overthinking this but the fact that their interactions didn't change feels like the Yotsuba/Fuutaro pairing is not that important. At least it's near the end. Thank God it's not a harem ending

@HakuErdrikII
Wait. There was a chemistry with Yotsuba? I thought it was a goofy friend side character.

People talk about Vietnam flashback in relation to Nisekoi, but all I am reminded of is: I wish this manga was half as good...

But I do realize there are some aspects and nuances here that are nice and quite unique. It just lacks those satisfying romance feelings that are so important in this genre.

oh translator try to rub a salt to my wound with credit page
thats trash manga nise shit koi from komi naoshi bastard

Dex-chan lover
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this. I think the harem ending would probably be the bet thematically as, so far, the major idea is that they're all five-parts of one greater whole. The story was just about the bond between the sisters and how much they need one another as much as Fuu. The story is called "the-five-part bride," after all and the amount of teasing early one (multiple wedding dresses, them all touching Fuu's hand during the festival, them all being indistinguishable at the inn except for their personalities and that Fuu has to love them all to distinguish them, etc.) all push towards that route of them all being connected by something more.

I think clearly picking one shits on that notion. Honestly, it's not my PREFERRED ending-I think an ambiguous ending where the bride was one giant red herring and which of the twins is in the dress isn't revealed would be better as I think that part shouldn't be the focus of the story-but it would have better rooting in the story than what we got and it would be much stronger in terms of how the narrative has played out so far than picking one of the twins and the rest just going along with it after some mild convincing whilst betraying how we've established them to act so far. This turn of events is so much weaker as a whole than what came before.

@Kefkabot

Users who are viewing this thread