There is nothing inherently wrong with offering your own translated work, even if the translation is as poor it gets; After all, it is likely there will be some who appreciate the effort (even if they presumably are in a very, very, very, very tiny minority, given how abysmal machine translation is in regards to handling eastern languages).

On the other hand, taking over the preexisting chapter order is quite rude, as it obsfucates the work of those translation teams who have put in more significant effort, and makes it so that readers have to pick through to find quality translations. It's also rude because it's misleading to readers who are expecting a substantially different kind of release. In other words, please consider utilizing a volume/chapter framework that is different from that of the mainstream chapters. If MangaDex lets you, consider also adding a note in the title that distinguishes the upload as a machine-translated offering. (Suggestion wasn't suitable based off site rules.)

Double-page supporter
Wow, for an user in a manga reading site, those guys didn't even bother to read the first page. If this work was done by a machine, with enough training, this can revolutionize the scanlanting game. I can see the extinction of some certain groups and their bullshit practices that add nothing to the table.

Fed-Kun's army
@illris we know you're alive your account says you were online 11 hours ago. Please prevent this tragedy from happening again.

Dex-chan lover
no guys you dont understand, THIS ISNT EVEN A COMPLETED CH, it ONLY has 11 pages, he legit cut the chapter in half hence why when he post ch 5 people where confused as to what happened @Raifurain @Thoughtgap

Dex-chan lover
man the only thing I'm legit grateful for is that thx to this shit mess I actually found out about this series, so thx translator <3

Honestly, machineTL is okay, but only if it make sense with the story..
found sentences that literal crap..
i don't expect oh wow quality, but what does a lines that "Lord 2 Wako Sho why prince here 2" in english language?
Please at least set the lowest quality bar to be readable for common english reader..

Dex-chan lover
You may not like it but this is what peak machine learning looks like

Serious mode: probably post this not on mangadex but a tech blog
Joke mode: thanks for the memes, it's better to be born out of the bushes!

It's nice that someone made an effort to translate but damn, if you have to constantly rework a written sentence in your head, it makes you not want to continue reading it. Request translation from actual translators.

MTL here could be better. If nothing else, MTL is capable of fitting text into the dialog boxes, at least when those boxes have a solid bg. I would say detection of solid bg speech bubbles and auto-fitting is the next logical step for this group. Then we have font picking. I know there are programs capable of choosing similar fonts, though I have never tested them across languages. Should still be easy enough, just a little bit more manual training , such as defining jpFont_X = enFont_X. Run the program on the JP version and return the JP font, and then use the en font that you claimed was the closest match. After that, we have the task from hell, automatic proofreading of a largely incorrect translation.

@firefish5000 @dokidoki
No, I do understand the situation. The issue is that site management has permitted this kind of April Fool's content in the past, and set no limits to how it could be uploaded, in regards to either its content or title formatting. If this doesn't fall under that purview, I'm not sure how this kind of translation would be permissible on the site to begin with, given that it's not a proper upload by any conceivable consideration. If it doesn't fall under April Fool's, then it'd fall under fan-work, which intuitively'd mean that it'd require its own additional top-level listing. eg, Douyara Watashi No Karada Wa Kanzen Muteki No You Desu Ne [Machine Translated].

Though it is worth noting, I wasn't referring to changing the chapter title itself, I was referring to applying a [ML] tag as a suffix, much like how film rips append their titles to quickly indicate content quality.
However, the rule you quoted (Fill in as many of the fields as possible, including chapter titles if available. If the chapter has no proper title, leave it empty.) was completely irrelevant to the topic regardless of that clarification, which leads me to believe you instead intended to link the following rule of (No tags to any of the fields are allowed, such as "[HQ]" to the chapter name or "v2" to the chapter number.) Which does, yes, negate that possibility. Likewise, the next rule of (Only add volume numbers to chapters that have already been specifically published together in a single full volume. Make sure the numbers are correct. Otherwise, the volume field should be left empty.) indicates that my original suggestion wasn't appropriate, either.

Well, simply put, this kind of upload is a bad idea, even before the translator starts cutting additional corners [by not uploading a complete chapter]. If the site doesn't allow for any method to sort out such content, then, flatly, it shouldn't be allowed at all. Of course, many of us felt the same way about the April Fool's content, and staff permitted that, which led to an impression of a definite lack of professional attention being given to such matters. Likewise, the rules seem to openly encourage such uploads (Do not report any releases for any translation or visual quality issues that originate from the scanlator. These reports will be ignored.), which further emphasizes Mangadex's lack of care towards the site's quality of presentation. [@SeaOfMadness: Seems so?]

To sum up, the issue isn't anything the scantalator did, the issue is that MangaDex is set up to be unprofessional and deliberately trolling in regards to such matters. So the appropriate response would presumably be to bring the matter up on the community forums, rather than further criticize the scantalator here (after all, someone who uploads something of this level probably is incapable of feeling shame to begin with, so it's unlikely a direct approach'd work... right? /tease).

I thought I just couldn't read anymore, but after I read some of the comments its just poor content. Smh.

Users who are viewing this thread