A Boyish Girlfriend in High Humidity - Ch. 5 - You think a boyish girlfriend is too plain?

Dex-chan lover
The second page gave you a lot of trouble, didn't it? It's something like "I'm a proper woman underneath these clothes, after all." "If you wanna see, then let's hurry up and go somewhere we can be alone" She wasn't asing if he thought she was more womanly under the clothes, but rather asserting it outright despite the literal presence of a question mark.

Supporter
il_570xN.4673049707_7i9c.jpg

Dex-chan lover
The second page gave you a lot of trouble, didn't it? It's something like "I'm a proper woman underneath these clothes, after all." "If you wanna see, then let's hurry up and go somewhere we can be alone" She wasn't asing if he thought she was more womanly under the clothes, but rather asserting it outright despite the literal presence of a question mark.
Why do people do that? Why do they make declarative statements, and then append a question mark to the end of it even though they weren't asking a question?

I've seen it in English, too. I used to think it was a young-adult-woman-on-Tumblr-or-Twitter thing, but no, apparently it's a feature in Japanese too.

Women without the complications,
or
A homie with tits

So yes.
Women are women, tomboyish or not. The complications come not only from being different people (never mind that people regularly have conflicts with themselves), but also from-- ultimately-- men and women not being familiar with being the other.

Dex-chan lover
Why do people do that? Why do they make declarative statements, and then append a question mark to the end of it even though they weren't asking a question?
Here is just looks like the equivalent of "you know?" Like "Hey, I got this stuff on, but underneath it all, I've still got some huge honkers, ok?" That's usually how it goes. It's a reminder.

Dex-chan lover
Women are women, tomboyish or not. The complications come not only from being different people (never mind that people regularly have conflicts with themselves), but also from-- ultimately-- men and women not being familiar with being the other.
I never said they weren't? I was just making a joke how a woman can be "one of the boys" and unlike the average woman actually say what they want, don't take hours to get ready, is just overall chill to be with and so on

Dex-chan lover
What a smug girl. I hope next chapter he actually gets aggressive with her.

Dex-chan lover

I've seen it in English, too. I used to think it was a young-adult-woman-on-Tumblr-or-Twitter thing, but no, apparently it's a feature in Japanese too.

It's called a declarative questions, basically in English there are questions that act like statements and don't require an answer.

Dex-chan lover
I never said they weren't?
I don't know how I went so long in life without encountering this "end declarative statements with a question mark" technique..

That aside, the point of me saying "women are women" isn't to refute a statement you didn't make, but rather challenge the idea of the tomboy as the "incidental woman", as if they bear none of the social complications of womanhood-- intrinsic or in relation to men-- and are, indeed, the "homie with tits".

You call it a joke, but even your explanation bears out what I wanted to respond to. At least, I'm not seeking to be aggressive about this (regardless of how I may come off), but I did want to comment on that idea since it was out there, and I've seen that kind of sentiment before.

It's called a declarative questions, basically in English there are questions that act like statements and don't require an answer.
A declarative question can be converted into a regular interrogative and has the same meaning as such (e.g. "You want to join?" is a shorter form of "Do you want to join?").

That's different than just writing-- for example-- "I didn't say that?". There's nothing being asked in that-- a question mark was just tacked onto a declarative statement that's meant to be understood as a declarative statement.

Dex-chan lover
A declarative question can be converted into a regular interrogative and has the same meaning as such (e.g. "You want to join?" is a shorter form of "Do you want to join?").
Not how that's used. Imagine someone asking you why he has to go through an initiation for a group. You come at him with a "You want to join?" Which is a "Because you want to join" in declarative question form.

"And I'm running naked through campus because..."
"You want to join? 🤨"
"Right..."
That's different than just writing-- for example-- "I didn't say that?"
Another declarative statement. Well done this time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread