A Down warp button.

Dex-chan lover
There is a return to the top button now, but I think the issue Xnot brought to light in my Embed Cringe thread seems to bring up the need for a warp to the bottom of page button also. :unsure:

Dex-chan lover
Lots of views but no news...
tenor.gif

Dex-chan lover
To get to the bottom of long main listing page and get past endless rainbow hell posts like the post in the embed quarantine thread, but I suppose if it's too much trouble users with desktop access to the side bar slider can still skim through like usual.

frosty-ride.gif

I don't think this is an issue that warrants another floating UI element cluttering up the screen. Threads are already paginated to limit height. Scrolling to the bottom should not take that long in most cases.

Xnot's post is a little over eight million pixels in height on my screen. Simply adding a max height of something like 10,000 pixels would be a reasonable solution to fix this rare edge case with embedded media.

Dex-chan lover
I don't know what you consider a obtrusive floating UI element.
The up button only shows in the lower Right corner when scrolling upward on a long page
.... how would a down arrow button when scrolling down be any different? 😲

I'd consider all fixed UI elements to be obtrusive. It's a question of whether the utility justifies taking up space on screen (semi) permanently. The functionality provided by such floating UI elements is rarely important enough to block an entire part of the screen and you also risk blocking page content.

I do not like the back-to-top button either, because going back to the top of a web page is a solved issue in pretty much all browsers on any operating system. It can, however, be argued to be useful for less tech savvy people and is at least usually hidden on a forum where you tend to read scrolling downwards.

A scroll-to-bottom button would, conversely, be visible most of the time. That would be fine if the utility was there, but I'm not sure what exactly this button is supposed to accomplish. Even on long threads it only takes a few seconds to scroll to the bottom of the screen.

I certainly agree there is room for UI improvement. Perhaps you could elaborate on how specifically such a button would improve your experience, how it would save you time when navigating the site, and how often you run into issues that could be solved by the addition of such a button.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk on why floating buttons are usually a waste of space.

Users who are viewing this thread