A False Confession - Ch. 43

Group Leader
@otomefreak the artist still recover from nonstop drawing. So after her break, her art will obviously change a little bit. We already make announcement about the artist condition in chapter 36-38

Honestly I’m starting to get upset. If she doesn’t actually like him, and likes the other man, she does realize that she’s literally choosing to be with a man she doesn’t have feelings for and will hurt him AND the man she actually does like. From this point forth I can’t have any sympathy for her pain misery or bad luck that comes from her messing with cabel and elvins feelings.. Sigh. If we could have both male leads this would
solve everything. Thank you so much for another chapter❤️

@HobisFlower in his point of view, he just took her apart to a private place to talk and he was probably hurt (so that's why he had a dark face) buuut imagine yourself as her! The deadliest person you know, that threatened you when you first met him, takes you to a cliff and asks you with a dead-stare if you have feelings for another man! It's lying or dying 😂

Renee, you won't get used to it because that's what love feels like~ or at least attraction lol

Poor Cabel, I hope that Renee explains to him that those death glares give off way too much of an impact. He seems to wear his heart on his sleeve, so it's going to cause way too many misunderstandings!

Dex-chan lover
Clearly the only way to resolve this conflict is to discard ikemen and acquire megane.

again, a lot of hate for the MC here, which upsets me a little, but that's ok, it' just my opinion.

I really don't like how she leads Cabel on here, but I don't think people here seem to realize just how incredibly scared the ML actually is. It's not just Comic Relief anymore, have you SEEN Cabel last chapter? That was straight up horrifying. Even though we all know he suffers from chronic resting bitch face and would never actually hurt her, the same knowledge doesn't apply to the MC, who repeated time after time again how very scared she is of him.

And she DID actually try to tell him the truth. She tried to do it directly after confessing and meeting him again. It wasn't after he confirmed his feelings for her too that she was at a complete loss as to what to do.

If you ended up in a relationship situation with the absolutely deadliest person you know, who threatened you when you met them and you actually witnessed them mow through living people like it's nothing, would you have the guts to tell them that it was actually one-sided and based on a misunderstanding? Maybe if you're severely suicidal, but under ANY normal circumstances your survival instincts would kick in and you'd try to play along and please them for as long you have to, till you find a way out.
Also, try to view Cabel from her point of view. Being incredibly considerate and empathizing with a killer who you might fall victim to soon isn't her absolute first priority. It's survival. Sure, WE know Cabel is a wholesome good boy who just wants to cuddle and be loved and I can totally understand that many people don't want him to be toyed with (me included), but that's actually not the MC's intention.

I feel like people hold her to a standard where she is supposed to act absolutely perfect, be honest with both Male Leads and express her feelings, but this is not how being terrified works. Her deadass fear of Cabel and inability to come up with a solution to deal with the situation (which is hard enough in and of itself) is clearly her flaw. And honestly? That's good writing (in my humble opinion), it's realistic so far and it leaves room for plenty of character development, which I am SO LOOKING FORWARD FOR!!!

Also, anyone notices how Elvins eyelashes are ON POINT during Reneshas explanation that Cabel frequents her temple? That's some Femme Fatale half opened eye gaze with extra mascara there

This time, I don’t even blame Renee for not saying the truth. Even I would lie to Cabel face when he look like that. Also the credit and recruiting page are just too notch. Beautiful work as always. Thank you for your hardwork

@Dislike: To be honest, I understand and agree with everything you said. You're absolutely right in saying that fear is irrational and therefore beyond her control, and that Renée's point of view isn't the same as the readers'. But the problem for me is that the author (whether that's the original author or the artist who adapted to novel to webcomic, I don't know), hasn't done a good job of making her fear believable before now. Intellectually, I could see where she was coming from, but emotionally, it made no sense. These last two chapters have been the first time that I've felt Renée's fear was remotely justified, and while Cabel is genuinely terrifying in them and I truly viscerally understand why Renée reacted as she did in this chapter, it's come too late.

Renée's fear stems in large part from her first encounter with Cabel coupled with how generally scary he looks and the rumours about him. In itself, that's perfectly reasonable. The problem is that there just hasn't been enough tension maintained for her fear to be convincing. I can get how a single terrifying experience can leave a lasting impression on someone. But as a reader, that one scene just didn't feel like enough to justify her three years of being terrified of him, especially since it was a one-time thing during which he didn't even do anything. Regarding the other two points: she of all people is well placed to know why he looks as terrible as he (supposedly) does, and the rumours haven't been made enough of a thing in the story (yet?) to be a major point against Cabel. Add to that all the scenes of normal interactions between them and her terror just seems really forced at this point.

It doesn't help that her fear of Cabel is dissonant with a lot of her characterisation. Yes, Renée has bee portrayed as a coward, so that's consistent, but she's also been shown as being very capable of reading the people around her. She figured out really quickly that Elvin was more concerned with her powers than her, and didn't mind. She knew why the priests resented her. She could empathise (even over-empathise) with soldiers who were mentally worn down by the march and the constant fear of ambushes. She gets people. And she knows that Cabel is exhausted. Yet she doesn't get him, and only him?

The fact that he's a strong warrior can't be a used as reasonable justification either: barring the priests, she's seen everyone around her kill others. Elvin is every bit as freakishly powerful as Cabel. And she's seen Cabel throw himself into battle to save others, herself included, yet - again - he is the only one she's this terrified of?

The problem is that her attitude to Cabel is inconsistent with how she interacts with literally everyone else, and, at least for me personally, the justification we've been given just wasn't enough. Rationally, I can justify her behaviour, but emotionally, I'm not convinced. It's not that the writing is bad, but the execution hasn't been good enough to pull off what the writing was trying to do.

(Unless we're supposed to think that her feelings towards Cabel are this much of a mess because she doesn't realise she's attracted to him. Then the romantic in me would be happy to give the author a free pass...)

please make it a polyamorous I can't not feelcihcihhdi bad for the lead she doesn't leave with

@renuac actually, you raise some really good points here, thank you for answering.

I was so hellbent on believing Renesha that she was terrified when it's repeated multiple times throughout the story, but you're right. From a readers point of view, what was she terrified of? Being pulled from her chair and glared at after lighting a candle? Sure, no pleasant experience, but not quite enough to justify a long lasting fear. The rumours that he killed his entire family? Maybe that would have been a good reason, but that was mentioned like once from her and was only ever referenced through a flashback by Cabel himself, so not valid, I guess. So thanks for pointing that out.

As of Reneshas characterisation: I agree with you, too. Although, I do believe that there could be room for character development from her part. She had and still maintains a general bad impression of Cabel. Bad impressions and stereotypes are more easily confirmed than proven wrong. It might be that she just has such an unwillingness to view Cabel in any other light than that which she has experienced (also fuelled by fear), it could explain her inability to apply her general empathy and rationality to him, because she just. can't. think. straight when it comes to him, which leaves plenty of room for her being proven wrong in the future by the author. BUT that might just be a stretch from my side since my argumentation here relies heavily on speculation.

Also yeah, you're right. Once you typed it out, it becomes pretty clear that being a warrior shouldn't be a justification for her fear. EVERYONE'S a killer in her environment, except the priests, yet she still befriends and even falls for them. Might just be that Cabel is a more scary looking killer than most, but still

Dex-chan lover
She didn't have to confess why he went she could have just agreed with what he already said and told them his business there is confidential or up to him to explain. This entire chapter seemed to be lacking a bit on the logic side. If the person I liked confessed they still had feeling for their first love I'd be worried, especially after catching them constantly looking towards them, or is he just that desperate and touch starved

fellas lets just take the mls, mc doesnt deserve them haha
tysm for the translation

Users who are viewing this thread