A Story About A Hallucinatory Girl Following Me Around - Vol. 1 Ch. 9

Double-page supporter
Okay, I didn't see that coming. But on the other hand, how did they manage to not find a mirror during that time? I mean, they even went clothes shopping and somehow didn't check to see how it looked wearing it, and they got ready for 2 dates without making sure their hair was okay or anything.

Okay, I didn't see that coming. But on the other hand, how did they manage to not find a mirror during that time? I mean, they even went clothes shopping and somehow didn't check to see how it looked wearing it, and they got ready for 2 dates without making sure their hair was okay or anything.
This message is confusing. Everyone's been able to find mirrors here.

Double-page supporter
Wait, so she wasn't just hallucinating, but she had amnesia thinking she was a man?

You mean to tell me she has never gone to the bathroom that whole time and wondered why she has a pussy instead of a dick?

A person with mental instabilities like her tend to fill in the slips up in their mental situation with convenient excuses for themselves.

This was tackled in the manga of Inside Mari
A girl who thinks she was a guy who got body swapped with "Mari"

Theres one situation where she was talking to her friend who think that her body swap situation is real. She suddenly blurted out something that only the real Mari and that friend would know. And then she suddenly suggests to her friend "Look, her memories are still inside this body, thats why I can access it!". Even she herself believed her own lies because if she don't then her whole mind would fall apart

In this mc's situation, she subconsciously knows that she has no dick. But she conveniently came up with an excuse to not look at it or even her own body

A person with mental instabilities like her tend to fill in the slips up in their mental situation with convenient excuses for themselves.

This was tackled in the manga of Inside Mari
A girl who thinks she was a guy who got body swapped with "Mari"

Theres one situation where she was talking to her friend who think that her body swap situation is real. She suddenly blurted out something that only the real Mari and that friend would know. And then she suddenly suggests to her friend "Look, her memories are still inside this body, thats why I can access it!". Even she herself believed her own lies because if she don't then her whole mind would fall apart

In this mc's situation, she subconsciously knows that she has no dick. But she conveniently came up with an excuse to not look at it or even her own body
Again: Why the hell is everyone calling her mentally ill? She has brain damage. She doesn't have some deep-seated psychiatric issues here. The whole thing is she got some amnesia, and then failed the mirror test. No, it's not schizophrenia, no, it's not disassociation, no, she's not experiencing gender dysphoria. She gets hit, forgets exactly who she is, and she can't tell that the person in the mirror is her!

Double-page supporter
Again: Why the hell is everyone calling her mentally ill? She has brain damage. She doesn't have some deep-seated psychiatric issues here. The whole thing is she got some amnesia, and then failed the mirror test. No, it's not schizophrenia, no, it's not disassociation, no, she's not experiencing gender dysphoria. She gets hit, forgets exactly who she is, and she can't tell that the person in the mirror is her!
No one suggested that she has no mental instabilities before the accident. We were thrown in the story right after she got amnesia so we have no idea what she is like prior to it. The fact that she doesn't acknowledge the things in her body that she can saw even without a mirror (thinner hands and arms, slender legs, lack of body hair, her genitals, or anything that could tell her that she is a woman) suggests that she was not a stable person before and the amnesia just made it worse.

No one suggested that she has no mental instabilities before the accident. We were thrown in the story right after she got amnesia so we have no idea what she is like prior to it. The fact that she doesn't acknowledge the things in her body that she can saw even without a mirror (thinner hands and arms, slender legs, lack of body hair, her genitals, or anything that could tell her that she is a woman) suggests that she was not a stable person before and the amnesia just made it worse.
Yeah, no. We may as well assume she's an alien disguised as a Human if you're going to read random mental illness into the story.

Hell, I've got our solution: This is all taking place in the SAO universe, and she's trapped in a life simulator game.

Double-page supporter
Yeah, no. We may as well assume she's an alien disguised as a Human if you're going to read random mental illness into the story.

Hell, I've got our solution: This is all taking place in the SAO universe, and she's trapped in a life simulator game.
It could very well be.

Thats the beauty of being a reader of a story. You can form your own conclusions on a story especially when the author leave some details blank.

Dex-chan lover
MC's a doomer dummy.
Dang it, I want to be friends with her

Good read. Freaky but fun

Dex-chan lover
no fucking wonder it's only talk. to a girls because it's a girl lol

Group Leader
I can't believe nobody noticed how the story really ended. Guys, she's still hallucinating, but probably just not as strongly as before, since she's now able to recognise herself.

9-88c7c3b4.webp

Notice how her arms reflect even outside of the mirror. This suggests that she only ever needed a small reflection of her face to start hallucinating, then her damaged brain would fill in the rest.

All in all, I really loved these last four pages. You can extract a lot of meaning from them. Didn't really like the info-dump-type pages before that, but reading them again I now see that it's actually revealed right there that she's still hallucinating, since the doctor saw her speaking with the hospital mirror, and we see her with the new injuries.

There are quite a few hints to what's happening in both dialog and imagery throughout the story, but I really wish there was more. I find it somewhat annoying that some parts are hard to figure out whether they are errors in her hallucinations or the author messing up, but overall it was pretty good.

Wish I could find more stories like this one, but knowing it's this kind of story from the start would've ruined it a bit, I reckon.

Group Leader
No, I hate Cheeky Gyaru. This? You just confused a triple compartment mirror for symbolism.
Alright, let's assume you're right. Can you at least agree that she's still hallucinating? Going from the fact that the doctor saw her talking to herself after the second accident.
6-53531b0b.webp

Because it seems you conveniently ignored the part where I mentioned this exact scene as corroborating evidence just to continue discrediting this flawed but still good (7/10 good) story.

Dial back the hate, bro.

Alright, let's assume you're right. Can you at least agree that she's still hallucinating?
In the TL, FMC finally recognizes the mirror. In the raws, FMC outright recognizes that it's her. The furigana used when referring to the hallucination actually say "Me" (They're not always used to tell you how to read the kanji). So she clearly understands what she's looking at now.
Going from the fact that the doctor saw her talking to herself after the second accident.
They're talking about Chapter 4. You know, where she goes to the psychiatrist (The translation isn't "Doctor", it's "Psychiatrist"), tells them it's a Recognizable Hallucination (The one where she knows it's a hallucination) The doctor saw her talking to the mirror like an actual person, and decided it was "Unrecognizable" instead, and thinks "Naw, it'll be fine". Which is what he's apologizing for now: He never thought she'd get herself run over because of it, since it's apparently the less concerning kind of hallucination.
Because it seems you conveniently ignored the part where I mentioned this exact scene as corroborating evidence just to continue discrediting this flawed but still good (7/10 good) story.
You know, I was perfectly willing not to actually translate the raws myself and just point out that you read too much into a single scene, but if you want all the dialogue's nuances explained, then so be it.
Dial back the hate, bro.
Hate?

Users who are viewing this thread